• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What is the last film you watched?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
"The Blue Max." I love the scene where parvenu pilot Stachel/George Peppard asks the other German ace, "You have 18 victories, but three more unconfirmed? So you really have 21!" Willi, the Prussian nobleman and his counterpart, smiles and says patiently, "No. I have 18." There's an entire philosophy of life and world behind the latter remark. One which the rest of the movie (being Hollywood) does its best to sneer at.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
The documentary "Holy Hell" came to mind yesterday and so I rewatched it last night.
Pretty good doc about a modern cult. One very interesting point shown is the power of belief (when the members are given "the Knowing").
In the first couple of minutes you meet the ex-members who open up and based on their traits you can easily predict what the revelation at the end will be..
Nevertheless a thing to watch sometime.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Day of the Siege, a Polish flick about the 1683 siege of Vienna, lifted by Jan Sobiewski. Sabaton used clips from the film for their song "Winged Hussars." I'm surprised the EU hasn't banned both.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Watched "Slay" yesterday. Comedy horror about 4 dragqueens who accidentally end up in a small town bar that gets overrun by vampires. It admits in one of the lines to take inspiration from "from Dusk till Dawn" and does a good job at it. Good production and effects.

I recognized one of them from RuPaul (Trinity the Tuck) but the other three probably are "real" / famous performers as well.
There's no blatant in your face pushing of "the" message or whatever, just a fun movie.

Recommended if you want to enjoy yourself or get offended. There's something for all.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Watched "Slay" yesterday. Comedy horror about 4 dragqueens who accidentally end up in a small town bar that gets overrun by vampires. It admits in one of the lines to take inspiration from "from Dusk till Dawn" and does a good job at it. Good production and effects.

I recognized one of them from RuPaul (Trinity the Tuck) but the other three probably are "real" / famous performers as well.
There's no blatant in your face pushing of "the" message or whatever, just a fun movie.

Recommended if you want to enjoy yourself or get offended. There's something for all.
Actually, in these times taking offense has become one of the leading pleasure-conduits. Sort of like S&M for masochists too indolent or too shy to act out physically.

I was compiling a list of films for an adult class yesterday. "Iconic films." I forced myself to try and watch "Shane" for the someteenth time. Didn't make it. It took me years till I figured out why. Shane isn't a hero. He's a stooge for proto-suburbia. I keep expecting the settlers' covered wagon to turn into a Chevy station wagon. Or, better, an SUV for pre-soccer mom to pick up Jr. in. The old rancher is the closest thing to a hero. Unwatchable flick.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I watched "The Incredibles" for the umpteenth time last night. A film that could have been written especially to bring me pleasure 🙂
I don't normally go for DVD extras, but they have like a minute's footage of Brad Bird, the wrier and director, voicing the superhero fashion designer, Edna Mode which is fantastic to watch.

IllusiveOwl

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
The last good one I watched was Holy Mountain. A lot of yinz would probably dig it, here's the poster:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The only movie I've seen after that was Pulp Fiction, and boy was that fiction pulpy.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I was compiling a list of films for an adult class yesterday. "Iconic films." I forced myself to try and watch "Shane" for the someteenth time. Didn't make it. It took me years till I figured out why. Shane isn't a hero. He's a stooge for proto-suburbia. I keep expecting the settlers' covered wagon to turn into a Chevy station wagon. Or, better, an SUV for pre-soccer mom to pick up Jr. in. The old rancher is the closest thing to a hero. Unwatchable flick.
Have you seen John Wayne's last film, "The Shootist"? Same themes of the Old West (which never really existed) fading away, but John Wayne a big improvement on wimpy Alan Ladd.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Have you seen John Wayne's last film, "The Shootist"? Same themes of the Old West (which never really existed) fading away, but John Wayne a big improvement on wimpy Alan Ladd.
"The Shootist" was great. I had a g.f. back when whose Bible-thumpin' daddy though the film was "nihilistic." He was, in some measure, right. Still I'll take that over 2 covered wagons in the garage and suburbia comes to Jackson Hole, which was Shane's take on manifest destiny.

I'm put in mind of "Lonesome Dove" where Gus is delopring the fact that he and Can, in their Texas Ranger days killed off all the Comanches, bandits, and Messican gauchos wrong aside of the Rio Bravo, "the only folks that made this country interesting to live in."

Aeternus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Last movie I watched was "The Good Game". It contains valuable lessons for teamwork and also goes on the perspective of facing struggles of life, regardless of background

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
If we're talking professionally made, "real" films, then a few weeks ago I had a back to back viewing of The Howling and Guy Ritchie's reworking of King Arthur.

The Howling
is an American werewolf film where the wolf is explicitly tied to the animal drives (food, sex, violence, etc.) in wo/man. Like most werewolf films, it outsources a lot of human failings to wolves (among the most monogamous, family-orientated animals in the world) but it's a fun, charmingly dated tribute to old werewolf films. The least said about Ritchie's King Arthur the better but suffice to say that Ritchie likes to drag everything down to his level. Excalibur this ain't.

That was a few weeks back. If we're using "film" in a broader sense, a few days ago I watched a 90s Christian documentary about UFOs that a friend sent to me. It basically argues that aliens are Nephilim and that UFOs are setting the stage for a worldwide deception. That a projection of future consciousness (which is what aliens are) is literally demonised speaks for itself but, despite that, I did actually rather enjoy the thing. It's here if you want to see it:

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If we're talking professionally made, "real" films, then a few weeks ago I had a back to back viewing of The Howling and Guy Ritchie's reworking of King Arthur.

The Howling
is an American werewolf film where the wolf is explicitly tied to the animal drives (food, sex, violence, etc.) in wo/man. Like most werewolf films, it outsources a lot of human failings to wolves (among the most monogamous, family-orientated animals in the world) but it's a fun, charmingly dated tribute to old werewolf films. The least said about Ritchie's King Arthur the better but suffice to say that Ritchie likes to drag everything down to his level. Excalibur this ain't.

That was a few weeks back. If we're using "film" in a broader sense, a few days ago I watched a 90s Christian documentary about UFOs that a friend sent to me. It basically argues that aliens are Nephilim and that UFOs are setting the stage for a worldwide deception. That a projection of future consciousness (which is what aliens are) is literally demonised speaks for itself but, despite that, I did actually rather enjoy the thing. It's here if you want to see it:

Ritchie is a perfectly good court jester who has got the delusion into his head that he's a privy councilor. Saturnalia should be a once-a-year holiday, not social policy. Some years back when he came out with his take on Sherlock Holmes, I watched it. For about 20 minutes. Skipped ahead a couple times. Broke the disc. Think of a dumpster fire, then the dumpster is pushed down a pedestrian-thronged San Francisco hillside street. Conceptual carnage is never pretty. Very nearly the last Guy Ritchie film I watched.

fletflo

Neophyte
Reaction score
Angel Heart 1987 with Mickey Rourke, based on book by William Hjortsberg. I'd been aware of it since reading a review in a Cosmo magazine whilst a child in 80s. Only viewed recently and intrigued to read the novel plus it's sequel sometime in future. I also watched Jacob's Ladder (1990, Tim Robbins) just prior to that, another I would recommend.

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Ritchie is a perfectly good court jester who has got the delusion into his head that he's a privy councilor. Saturnalia should be a once-a-year holiday, not social policy. Some years back when he came out with his take on Sherlock Holmes, I watched it. For about 20 minutes. Skipped ahead a couple times. Broke the disc. Think of a dumpster fire, then the dumpster is pushed down a pedestrian-thronged San Francisco hillside street. Conceptual carnage is never pretty. Very nearly the last Guy Ritchie film I watched.
Taken on its own terms (i.e. as nothing to do with the original Sherlock Holmes - the Jeremy Brett series is still the gold standard for film/TV), I didn't mind Ritchie's first Holmes film as a fin-de-siecle frippery. The sequel was catastrophic.

Ritchie always struck me as an impossibly self-hating director. He succumbs to the same illness as Rachel Dolezal but while she wants to be an African-American, Ritchie, with connections to the English peerage through his parents and born in same leafy North London town in which Elizabeth I was put under house arrest, wants to be a cockney. The roles we play to escape who we really are...

Moongarm71

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Angel Heart 1987 with Mickey Rourke, based on book by William Hjortsberg. I'd been aware of it since reading a review in a Cosmo magazine whilst a child in 80s. Only viewed recently and intrigued to read the novel plus it's sequel sometime in future. I also watched Jacob's Ladder (1990, Tim Robbins) just prior to that, another I would recommend.
Bill Cosby owes Lisa Bonet a giant fucking apology for shit canning her due to her role in Angel Heart.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Got some alone time to watch Valerie and Her Week of Wonders recently, wonderful, gorgeous film:

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I loved that movie! One season I worked on a boat whose three DVD's were Angel Heart, Excalibur, and pirated music featuring early Guns 'n Roses. No one ever got bored. (Of course we were either working non-stop or dead on our feet. Still we enjoyed the entertainment fare muchly.)