Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!
Hey, I've been dealing with an injury in the sacral area of the spine for over a year. Despite numerous visits to physios, doctors, and my own attempts to fix it, it gets worse. It is good for mindfulness, because you notice much more about body alignment, points where body presses against the ground, muscle moves etc. But in the end of the day, I want it fixed. It is not quite sciatica, but if it continues to deteriorate, it might get there.
Do you have any experience dealing with that? Any tips?
Sciatic pain can happen even with relatively minor lumbar pain, it's not necessarily a condition in itself but rather a symptom. It hits me now and then after the classic mix of work excess and bad posture (especially bad posture) and even after the first couple days being ouchy and stiff, as it improves I still have occasional pain shooting down either leg. Anyways, things that helped me:
Position, position, position. Avoid long times sitting in front of PC and stuff. Try working standing. Movement is key, if you are meant to be sitting down, alternate with physical activity. Some garden work (avoiding risky moves like lifting heavy weights and the like) does wonders for me.
Neuromuscular adhesive bandages placed by my osteopath. Help awareness and to sustain muscles in place. After a few days wearing them I always felt better.
Supplements like magnesium and potassium. Plants with muscular relaxant properties like kava kava. Anti-inflammatories like turmeric.
And lots of care with my sleeping position, extra pillows to squeeze between your legs for instance, sleep on the side you don't usually sleep on.
These and some classics like good stretches and hot showers if I wake up stiff usually do the trick for me in a week or week and a half.
I suffered from bad back pain for many many years due to trauma tension, so I don't know if this will help.
I had days I could barely move it was so debilitating. Yoga always gave some relief, but no treatment made a lasting impact. Only when I started addressing the mental issues, going to an osteopath and traditional Thai massage, while also doing physical tension release work myself, did the pain finally go away.
Post automatically merged:
What has also helped me greatly in the past with actual injury healing was sending healing thoughts (a golden warming light) to the affected area and imagining everything working to repair and heal.
Someone in another post suggested the mantra of the Medicine Buddha, you can find videos on YouTube.
I also use reflexology on my hands and feet to treat body aches and pains, especially back pain. Going to a reflexology practitioner for a foot massage to get you started might be an idea. You can also find instructions and reflexology charts online to help you do it yourself, it's not hard once you know how. An initial session with a practitioner is helpful to figure out how much pressure to apply, which is important to be effective, so I'd really recommend you go there first. When doing it yourself I'd do it on the hands, not feet, considering your injury.