• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Can affirmations be used like magick spells?

Someone's asking for help!

KZKZ

Neophyte
Reaction score
Can affirmations be used like magick spells? If, so, how? Do I need to repeat them once and it works like a magick spell or 10 times 3 times a day?

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
They can.
i mean they are.
plenty of affirmations in pretty much any spoken components mentioning the "caster"
making them personal is a job you will have to tackle alone
repetitions don't matter as much as your involvement
Probably the best use was by Crowley's saying will formula

-what am i doing?
- eating and drinking
-why
- so i may strengthen my body
-why
-so i may do the great work

play around with it, experiment. same principle can be used for pretty much anything
we've talked about using affirmations in innovative ways before
but for a novice i can't imagine a better start than the saying will

i guess it all depends on what exactly you are looking for, more details?

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Can affirmations be used like magick spells? If, so, how? Do I need to repeat them once and it works like a magick spell or 10 times 3 times a day?
Affirmations are a form of self-suggestion that can influence one's mindset and behavior. Affirmations operate on the principle that repeatedly affirming positive statements can help reprogram subconscious beliefs and attitudes over time. The effectiveness can vary greatly depending on several individual factors such as visualization, belief, mindset of the performer, emotional resonance, and the specific goals being targeted. Some people may experience rapid results with affirmations, while others may require more time and repetition to see noticeable changes, this indeed depending of the performer's training. The question is how many times do they need to be repeated? I think it is a highly individualized process that requires patience, consistency, and self-awareness in combination with strong visualization. Consistently repeating affirmations with sincerity and conviction are acting like prayers, and concentration during performance can increase their effectiveness over time.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly, I think that affirmations are stubbornly repeated childish attempts to talk an uncaring universe into submission while a lot more thought and preparation (to say nothing of offerings, magical objects and implements) go into spells because they represent a much more sophisticated method, IMHO. It's the corny self-help books that ruin a potentially good thing, painting the effectiveness of affirmations in the most glorious rosy colours. Affirmations may work, but not always and not for everything, for maintaining good health, for example, but not for solving a specific problem by next Tuesday. Spells can be cast as a one-off affair but keeping up that same kind of chirpy affirmation optimism the self-help books for weeks at a time? Totally unrealistic. Better cast a spell once and you're done (and maybe try a different approach later if you don't succeed).

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I agree, to an extent
There is a place for them in magick, though i share the same cringe at the self help gurus
affirmations held with belief are no joke, and the driving force behind many great achievements

Reaction score
Awards
If you could will with intent using an affirmation chanted like a mantra, perhaps in a foreign language it is shorter, Im sure they can be.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I recently read a book on Elemental Equilibrium by Virgil, and he says Affirmations are like a seed that you plant in yourself, but that a seed needs a bunch of other stuff to grow, you can't just chuck it on the ground and hope

Since it's a companion to Bardon's Initiation Into Hermetics, he gives Bardon's techniques as examples of that support

Eg if you want to be less lazy, the affirmation/seed might be "I am proactive and energetic"

Then "magical washing" is watering the plant, conscious eating (transmuting your food into the trait of proactivity then consuming it mindfully) is feeding it, exhaling laziness is like removing weeds, and volition ("acting like you think a proactive and energetic person would act") would be, idk like the wooden stake that supports its early growth before it's strong

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Affirmations are inside the mind which is the Air element. So nothing more special than that, but they can work. Suggestions and hypnosis and NLP go hand in hand.

Caliban

Neophyte
Reaction score
I consider them spells of a particular sort, namely directed at oneself. The line between psychological reinforcement and actual magic is a blurry one.

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Check into neuro-linguistic programming, it was what I meant with NLP :)

Shaman

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I personally use affirmations for manifesting and it seems to work really well. The more you repeat it, the more potent and faster acting it will be.

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
For manifesting I recommend using the elements, you just draw from Fire down to Earth and then you manifest it.