• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Free will and the 2 pillars

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
If you think life of as a test and then see that there are 2 pillars + 1 of balance. The 2 choices are Severity and Mercy. For every action there is a reaction, so if you react with too much Severity you become evil, but if you act with too much Mercy you become weak and everyone goes on top of your boundary. For this every action can be seen as collapsing into either Severity or Mercy. This in turn notes how good you perform in this test called human life itself. If you choose to attack or just be passive. Masculine or Feminine.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Where'd the pillars come from? Who/what set them up? And this information comes from what source? I mean the notion makes a good trope for a story. I'm just checking sources is all.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
1.gates of heracles
2. rocks on 2 continents that sometimes come closer and sometimes like to divorce, created by the creatortrix
3. human imagination in order to make sense of the world around them

it Is a good story, just dont look up when you pass the gate, heracles aint wearing pants ;)

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Where'd the pillars come from? Who/what set them up? And this information comes from what source? I mean the notion makes a good trope for a story. I'm just checking sources is all.
That's a few odd questions imo in the RHP forum. Check out Sefirot or the tree of Life. The pillar concept is from that with the middle pillar of balance in between.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Like Amur said, the pillars of Mercy and Severity are a core idea in magical qabala, Golden Dawn etc. The famous Middle Pillar rite is the pillar in between them, sometimes called the Pillar of Mildness or the Pillar of Consciousness.

You might have seen them on the high priestess tarot card - she sits between a black pillar and a white pillar.

A different way to think of them can be "force and form" or "energy and structure". So the Pillar of Severity isn't just laws and punishment, it's also the riverbank, the vessel that contains, the magic circle, the laws of physics, DNA, iambic pentameter, etc etc. Force and form are the dyad necessary for creation (the concept of force and form comes from Aristotle, but the early qabalists and hermeticists were aware of it).

But of course in classic as-above-so-below-style, it also applies to life. Life is always a phased balance between expansion and restriction

The 2 choices are Severity and Mercy. For this every action can be seen as collapsing into either Severity or Mercy.

But I'm not sure what you mean by this, or maybe I understand but disagree. It seems to me the aim of a lot of personal development is to see past false binaries to the full spectrum of possibilities. There are always more than two choices.

(I just spent some time trying to think if I could come up with a situation where there were genuinely only two choices, and I couldn't think of one.)

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Like Amur said, the pillars of Mercy and Severity are a core idea in magical qabala, Golden Dawn etc. The famous Middle Pillar rite is the pillar in between them, sometimes called the Pillar of Mildness or the Pillar of Consciousness.

You might have seen them on the high priestess tarot card - she sits between a black pillar and a white pillar.

A different way to think of them can be "force and form" or "energy and structure". So the Pillar of Severity isn't just laws and punishment, it's also the riverbank, the vessel that contains, the magic circle, the laws of physics, DNA, iambic pentameter, etc etc. Force and form are the dyad necessary for creation (the concept of force and form comes from Aristotle, but the early qabalists and hermeticists were aware of it).

But of course in classic as-above-so-below-style, it also applies to life. Life is always a phased balance between expansion and restriction

But I'm not sure what you mean by this, or maybe I understand but disagree. It seems to me the aim of a lot of personal development is to see past false binaries to the full spectrum of possibilities. There are always more than two choices.

(I just spent some time trying to think if I could come up with a situation where there were genuinely only two choices, and I couldn't think of one.)
That's what I should've said when axin' about the two pillars. I mean, if I'm kicking field goals in the NFL, fine. Gimme goalposts. But I tend to think life, lives, and afterlife are all matters too hoary-hair bristly for Jesus to "drop-kick me through those righteous uprights."

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
were old xeno, think new , think dance war, think ice dancing musical ala the romantic era. make love to that other pillar like a dog woulda leg, etc. anyways my holier then thou's are on the left, so wanna do the mary and jesus thingy and make all his followers jealous of a kiss?

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
were old xeno, think new , think dance war, think ice dancing musical ala the romantic era. make love to that other pillar like a dog woulda leg, etc. anyways my holier then thou's are on the left, so wanna do the mary and jesus thingy and make all his followers jealous of a kiss?
Heeeeeey, now there's a thread: "What Would You Do Were You Forced to Ice Dance the Entire Abramelin Ritual at Gunpoint"?

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
tru, but this is a topic about 2 pilars making love. wanna humb my pillar against yours? i used to bubbling oldstyle. men got laughed at when they came while dancing. ;)

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards

If your actions describe who you are and who you will be, then the act or reaction will be the governing factor into shaping that part of you that is connected to other human beings. With collapsing I was joking around from the quantum level where all things happen simultanously. So it's up to you to either attack or just be :)