• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] Making a Copper Bowl

Informative post.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Because I don't really believe the meaning of barbarous words should be unknown to the person using them, I am reworking / interpreting / translating the PGM at the moment. I already gave some examples of “translated” rituals on here and elsewhere.

It's funny to discover that Ereshkigal is mentioned in one of the spells addressed to Hekate. The explanation given for this is that Ereshkigal is just some word the old Egyptians at some time saw somewhere but there is absolutely no reason to assume that any words are Sumerian or that there is any link to older gods. Nothing to see here folks...

The very first ritual in the book is “to acquire an assistant”. Part of this depends on a falcon landing at your feet and dropping a stone which you are to immediately engrave with a “..lion-faced figure, holding in the left hand a celestial globe and a whip, and around him in a circle is a serpent biting its tail.” Plus the name “ ACHA ACHACHA CHACH CHARCHARA CHACH.”*

So it seems it would have to be a pretty big stone..

* (See below KAK AK KAK AK KAR AK KAK AK KAK)

The serpent biting its tail is the Ouroboros of course. As I was puzzling with words I came to this compound name:

URABURUS

UR
(servant / shut / protection)
A
(power / weapon / horn / strength / semen)
BUR
(authoritative / bowl / offering / priest / garment / shine / light)
US
(copper vessel / foundation / blood / path)​

What this possibly implies is a (copper) vessel or bowl that will act as the foundation of your servant and protector, and the place where you make offerings to him.

This reminds me of the copper bowl that is used for the Watcher in Necronomicon.
One of the things mentioned in other spells is “the lamp which is in daily use”.
A copper bowl can serve many functions. It can hold offerings, can be used as a scrying device, and it can also be used as a lamp.

In my interpretation ( / possible translation) of the spell to acquire an assistant there is mention of bodily fluids and genitals. Because blood, milk, semen and spittle are all given I suggest you use the one you are most comfortable with – and be aware of the feeling that is associated with it + the feeling that your assistant / watcher / daemon / angel will sense in you. Blood usually comes with pain, milk is feeding, semen (or the female equivalent) comes with joy, and spit with disgust or contempt. Unless you have a different idea of these associations of course.

So this is how I reworked this.

It is advised that you make the bowl yourself, by hand. Then engrave the ouroboros on the outside.
When you have the name and symbol of the spirit, engrave it inside the bowl on the bottom.
The very first offering will be a (small) amount of your own fluid. Either the red one, the white one or the clear one.
The daemon will instruct you which herbs or other material he/she prefers as offerings in the bowl. Once they have dried burn them in there as well.

The oil:

As a base take olive oil. Add at least 1 herb or spice that you feel is appropriate to create your anointing oil.
This will also be used when the bowl acts as a lamp.

The wick:

Take a piece of paper kitchen towel and cut in in half, then fold it three times so that you get a rectangle of about 10x3 cm.
Roll this up tightly so that you have a thick 3 cm long roll.​

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Set this up straight in the bowl.
Cover it with your oil and light it. The amount of oil determines how long the wick will burn. Beware that it gives a big flame.​

When the flame dies the ashes are still red hot and you can sprinkle some dried herbs on it as incense.
The bowl fits a tealight perfectly, so that “in daily use” you can place a tealight in it instead of using a paper wick + oil (as these give a big flame and should only be used outside)

HOW TO MAKE A COPPER BOWL BY HAND
I only used tools that most will have access to​

1. Take a square of copper (or brass as I did because I happened to have it..) of 7x7 cm and 1 mm thick.
  2. Find the center by tracing the diagonals + a cross.​
  3. Draw a circle on it as big as you can.​
  4. Use a nail and hammer to mark the center. Do not puncture the copper, just dent it by giving it a good whack.

5. Saw out the circle.
  6. Use a file or screwdriver + hammer to make a dent on each of the 8 lines in the circle. This is the symbol of Spirit and in this procedure it is needed to give the metal room to expand when you are going to hammer it into a bowl. A nice metaphor.
  7. Heat up the metal with a torch.
  8. Cool it in water.​
  9. Place it upside down on a somewhat spherical or round hard metal object.​
  10. Hammer the circle into shape. Keep turning it so that you work it evenly.​

11. Repeat step 6,7,8,9 and 10 until you get something that starts to resemble a bowl. Step 6 will probably have to be done 5 to 6 times before you get close to the shape you want. If you notice that creases are getting too sharp then correct them by hammering them flat.​
  12. Use the hammer to beat out the biggest dents until you are satisfied with the shape and the smoothness of the surface.
  13. Use sanding paper to create an even rim. This takes the longest of the entire process.​
  14. Your bowl is now dark and dim. Put it in a jar of vinegar and leave it for half an hour. Then use a sponge for doing the dishes to give it a nice shine.
  15. Place the bowl upside down and hold a marker against it. Keep the marker in place but turn the bowl to make an even line on it. Use this as a guide when you engrave it.​
  16. Use a hard metal, like a screw with a sharp tip, to engrave the outside.​
  17. You have made a bowl. Good job.

TO ACQUIRE AN ASSISTANT

URI PI

HAMUNTI

EN TIBIR

PIGARIR

RA IL
KAR PIUTAH

IMUD
RAHETIR

BAN
UG

ANU

MUNA IG

NAB TU

ZU ZA TU ZA TU ZAZA
PUTUZA

MUAS

SURRU SU'US

SARPATUMU

SARAKTI

A RIKAMKU

BIRTU A'U

UPU A'U

PA'E U

DA A'U

A'U'A ANTA A'U

ZU ZU
ARA UZU
ZU TU ARU'A ATU

MANURI

A UHA

PITAH KAREBIH

A'USUB

I A U

PITAH BAIN

A

A A

A

A A

A

AEIAUAIEA

KAK AK KAK AK KAR AK KAK AK KAK

U E I

IAE

UBAPAR

ENEMUNU

TILARAKARI

PIA'EIEAI

PIRIG

IRALITUN

UMUN

ARPA'EBU

EAI

KATAB

PENZER

PIKARU

PINIRU

PUKUKKU

IARBATAH

GIRAME

PIBA UKANME

NIS KATIYA MUHUR SIMI TAS IL TI

This Vessel
An Arrow to Harmony
Made by the Hand of the Priest
A Mighty Implement
For a Worker of Purity
Who Lights up Heaven
And the Clouds
He is a Pure Watcher
One sent by
Exalted Anu
The Song of Conjuring
a Door for Man

To Know Man is the Property of the Priest
Bow Down to the Incantation
Spoken by the Mouth of the Leader of Man

The One Incantation
Through which the Priest Opens

Wind and Smoke Appear
Writing Arrows of Action
The Horn
Casts, Alters and Strengthens

O this Fort!
O this Unit!

Appear Horn!
O Stir me!
O!
Heavenly Companion!

Share with me and Show me

Omens and Divination

I make Offerings, Doorkeeper

Teach me the Incantations

Companion of the Vessel

Tool of Fire!

Increase the Power of Attraction!

O! Suck, Rub the Horn of Strength!

Increase the Influence!

The 7 Powers!

Protector
Provisioner
Watcher

Make the Weapon
Use the Weapon
Light up
Act as the Weapon
Be the Weapon

Your Bed, House and Garment

O! Speak!

Canal through which the Incantations flow Clearly!

Speak!
As the Milk of Life that flows from the Genitals
Light up the Garment
Unit, Child
Speak!

Oil of the Horn
Scent and Brightness
Oil of Strength in the Container
Praise and Secret Knowledge is Expanded
Wearing the Royal Horn

Helper

The Genitals
An Admirable Weapon
A Lordly Unit

A Well in the Dark
My Garment and Tool is Praised and Increases
The Essence is Pure
There is a Gate, the Garment of Admiration

The raising of my hand accept!
Hearken to my Prayer!

+
Notes
So far I have consecrated the bowl with another translated ritual and offered it to my BirthAngel with the above (I already knew its name)
Two spells (on which I will not elaborate) have been done in which I explicitly have instructed her to be the one performing the task.
For this the
KAK AK KAK AK KAR AK KAK AK KAK
was added to those other spells + performing them with this bowl. It has a nice rhythm and the translation is something like:
Make the Weapon
Use the Weapon
Light up
Act as the Weapon
Be the Weapon

In rituals with Zagzagel I got the feeling I should focus more on the relationship with my BirthAngel. This + @Mider2009 thread about the Heavenly Bride all clicked together when I looked into this ritual.

Finally, the “raising of my hand accept, hearken to my prayer” is not part of the original spell. It is a Sumerian way of saying “so mote it be” and I added it because it seems appropriate.​