• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

One of The greatest comedians of all time

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Carlin got his laughs, yes. But does "greatest of all time" exist for comics? Humor varies greatly across the ages and the places. "Greatest post-WW2 American comic" might characterize George better. Of course, that makes the whole thing sound provincial. (Which was my point, anyway.)

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Carlin got his laughs, yes. But does "greatest of all time" exist for comics? Humor varies greatly across the ages and the places. "Greatest post-WW2 American comic" might characterize George better. Of course, that makes the whole thing sound provincial. (Which was my point, anyway.)
The best comedians I've ever seen have been local ones, and recent - weird, strange acts that will never get a Netflix special and are never rehashing old ideas. I don't mean that the greatest comic happens to be in my city, I mean that the greatest comics in the world will never get an audience outside their hometown (plus a small, rabid following at MICF [Melbourne International Comedy Festival], Edinburgh Fringe, and Montreal).

So you will never see the greatest comic in my city, and I will never see the greatest comic in your city, but they're both miles better than anything that gets more popular than that, because they're targeting a niche audience instead of going broad. (Unfortunately, to find these astonishingly good comics, we have to be willing to see a bunch of local comics we've never heard of, which means sitting through some truly abysmal comedy.)

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The gods bless you. In most online forums I've frequented not kissing Georgie C's nether orifice gets treated like sneering "Mohammed (SAWS) sucked eggs"* in downtown Mecca during Ramadan.

*remark made for illustrative purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the views of Wizard Forums, its staff, or management, and the OP.