• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Palestine and Piquancy

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
OK, if I strain my junior high civics mindset really, really hard I can see where the St. Floyd of Fentanyl riots were part of the hidden costs of democracy or whatever. So why are the recent pro-Palestine street ragings so often typed as some kind of ontological threat to the warped woof of reality? I mean, really, mainline politicos are antsifying away like Cthulu was crashing the gates between realms. To retread the old maxim about Maine, "As Israel goes, so goes the nation"?

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
IMO, the US's home policy has always included the use of disproportionate force. I think it's a response to a terrible fear of losing "control"

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
"St. Floyd of Fentanyl"? That's disgusting and cynical.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
"St. Floyd of Fentanyl"? That's disgusting and cynical.
Not nearly as disgusting as the dysfunctional dog-spawn who authored the mythos lionizing the individual.
Post automatically merged:

IMO, the US's home policy has always included the use of disproportionate force. I think it's a response to a terrible fear of losing "control"
That's my point. For Floyd, control was abrogated. Pro-Palestinian protests get push-back from the authorities. One lesson to be drawn might be that the powers that be are deeply chary of giving offense to certain quarters that they are less powers than uneasy placeholders. One is put in mind of the revolving door that the Roman imperial throne became.

Last edited:

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
That's my point. For Floyd, control was abrogated. Pro-Palestinian protests get push-back from the authorities. One lesson to be drawn might be that the powers that be are deeply chary of giving offense to certain quarters that they are less powers than uneasy placeholders. One is put in mind of the revolving door that the Roman imperial throne became.
I don't really like to stick my neck out on this subject, but the US has invested an awful lot in the Israeli government, and when that government starts killing lots of people, the US still succumbs to the sunk cost fallacy. What was it they said about Batista? "He may be a bastard, but he's our bastard"

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
So why are the recent pro-Palestine street ragings so often typed as some kind of ontological threat to the warped woof of reality?
Because the "free press" corporate extension of the Permanent (unelected) Bureaucratic State (so-called 'Deep State') exists for the purpose of Manufacturing Consent (hats off to Noam Chomsky). Add in a heavy dose of hubris, and you have a current generation running things that believes it can dictate "reality" to suit its current and future needs. When Reality refuses to obey, Cognitive Dissonance can be a real bitch.

According to St. George of Carlin, I'm not in the club.

Shaman

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone tried asking a powerful spirit to solve the conflict? I believe its possible.. I just read that Aamon reconciles enemies, maybe if many people tried to evoke him and ask it would be possible.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Because the "free press" corporate extension of the Permanent (unelected) Bureaucratic State (so-called 'Deep State') exists for the purpose of Manufacturing Consent (hats off to Noam Chomsky). Add in a heavy dose of hubris, and you have a current generation running things that believes it can dictate "reality" to suit its current and future needs. When Reality refuses to obey, Cognitive Dissonance can be a real bitch.
I really think it's simpler than that. The US has sunk so much money into supporting the Israeli government, that they have to support it, no matter what that government does. It's the same pattern as the 50's and 60's when they would support any kind of tinpot dictator, as long as they said they were against Communism.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I really think it's simpler than that.
It can only get 'simpler' until it becomes caricature. I agreed with your initial post. The psychology of prior investment causes people to continue courses of action which no longer make sense in spite of better knowledge. The concept is scalable from minute aspects of daily life to the actions of nations.

My reply, however, was not to your comment. In fact, your comment could be based on a fallacy that a thing is either this or that when in fact it could be both, in addition to many other things. Cultural inertia (the psychology of prior investment on the macro scale); the 'necessity' of maintaining dollar hegemony by military force and control of trade, particularly crude oil, in approved currencies; the power of unelected bureaucracies; information control via public-private, corporate-government partnerships; the ever-oppressive attempts of those in key positions to manipulate the flows of energy, commodities, and liquidity in order to gain more power.

Let's simplify it: humanity is basically like yeast, except instead of sugar, humanity found the Earth's hydrocarbon deposits and is currently in the later stages of overshoot and collapse. There are rumors that a nice deposit of those hydrocarbons sits just off the coast of Palestine.

Personally, I find it amusing that a media so focused on making everyone sympathetic to "Muslim refugees" for many years all-of-a-sudden had to do a 180-degree-turn-around in their propaganda when it came to Palestine. Oh, sure the US.gov pretends to be concerned about Palestinians. Words are easy to use, but actions speak louder than words. It is an election year, after all, and it is still useful to have people believe that their choice on election day matters.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone tried asking a powerful spirit to solve the conflict? I believe its possible.. I just read that Aamon reconciles enemies, maybe if many people tried to evoke him and ask it would be possible.
Unrealistic.

I don't think even a powerful spirit can win against the masses.
The collective can be surprisingly strong even when they're not aware of what they're doing.

Also, if conflicts like that could be solved this easily, I'm sure we wouldn't have had any of the wars we had so far.No, this is beyond even the capabilities of powerful entities in my opinion.

Maybe Aamon can reconcile two people, three people, a group of ten even.But not entire nations, I think that is too much because of the amounts of variables(people) in it to be convinced.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
So why are the recent pro-Palestine street ragings so often typed as some kind of ontological threat to the warped woof of reality?
Because they are.

The move to question whether humans are happier, healthier and higher quality in the post-WWII international order has been growing for years and it became a major narrative in Western political life after Brexit and Trump in 2016, after Washington/London/Brussels spent decades trying to ignore it. The very fact of Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the consequent spectre of war in Europe upended some of the most cherished liberal dogmas around "We are one" and how "the arc of history bends towards justice".

Now, one of the most sacred post-WWII cows, especially for Americans, is being brought into question and, most importantly, it's happening because Israelis are behaving a lot like how the Chosen People behaved in the Old Testament. Another major post-WWII myth is evaporating. Wait until they find out who
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Because they are.

The move to question whether humans are happier, healthier and higher quality in the post-WWII international order has been growing for years and it became a major narrative in Western political life after Brexit and Trump in 2016, after Washington/London/Brussels spent decades trying to ignore it. The very fact of Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the consequent spectre of war in Europe upended some of the most cherished liberal dogmas around "We are one" and how "the arc of history bends towards justice".

Now, one of the most sacred post-WWII cows, especially for Americans, is being brought into question and, most importantly, it's happening because Israelis are behaving a lot like how the Chosen People behaved in the Old Testament. Another major post-WWII myth is evaporating. Wait until they find out who
As Scott Adams (he of "Dilbert" fame) noted, Israel lately has squandered a whole lot of their "Holocaust capital." Acting out like Moses' murderous Menschen-Menge, they are.
Post automatically merged:

Unrealistic.

I don't think even a powerful spirit can win against the masses.
The collective can be surprisingly strong even when they're not aware of what they're doing.

Also, if conflicts like that could be solved this easily, I'm sure we wouldn't have had any of the wars we had so far.No, this is beyond even the capabilities of powerful entities in my opinion.

Maybe Aamon can reconcile two people, three people, a group of ten even.But not entire nations, I think that is too much because of the amounts of variables(people) in it to be convinced.
Besides which there will be those evoking other powers to solve the conflict in fashion other than "reconciliation."

Conflicts tend to be simple. There is one apple and both Suzie and Trevor want it. Don't neither want no stinkin' half an apple. Can't neither settle for no stinkin' half an apple.

Which makes one wonder why, all through school, the notion of "compromise" was drummed into us. Took me well into adulthood to see why. Compromise is almost never a conflict resolution tool. It's a tactic: the camel's nose. A political conservative is an indolent POS who is too willful obtuse to see this.

Last edited: