• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

A little prayer to Dionysus before entering the stage

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This is a little prayer we tend to sing before entering the stage, so maybe it won't be as well received by people that aren't in theater or are more into the religious side than the artistic side, but it's something you might use if you want to.

I will write it as we sing it(in my language) and then do a translation of it in English(adapted with intent to try to follow the original melody, I'm not a musician so don't expect much) as well as try to explain the melody and how to sing it by using special symbols and emphasis.

We get into a circle, take each other's hands and start slowly moving forward and backwards while singing(one foot in front while making the circle spin slowly, so basically step forward and move slightly to the side, then step backwards with the other foot and move a bit more to the side.You can just move in place too if moving back and forth and sideways is too hard to keep track), steadily rising the tempo and intensity of the movement, ending up with including even swinging the arms.
In the end we break the circle with the arms up in the air.
Everyone is ready to act.

"Ó Dionísio, nos dê a graça,
Para compreendermos, tudo o que aqui passa.
Os mistérios de Eleusis, os mistérios de Eleusis,
Dionísio é quem nos traz, Dionísio é quem nos traz.
Dionísio!Dionísio!Dionísio!Dionísio!Dionísio!"

English version:(the "~" is used to show where you should hold the notes a bit, the more "~" the longer you should hold.)

"Oh~ Diony~sus, gi~ve us the gra~ce,
To~ un~~derstand, everything that ha~ppens.
The~ mysteries of Eleusis, The~ mysteries of Eleusis,
Diony~sus brings us, Diony~sus brings us.
DioNYSUS!DioNYSUS!DioNYSUS!Dio~NYSUS!Dio~NYSUS!Dio~NYSUS!"

In the end you put emphasis and energy in the end of his name, reason why I made it bigger in the last line.

So, here it is.A pre-play ritual we do(among others) to put the actors in the right mindset and give us a little energy.Not recommended if you're feeling nervous, as more energy won't help with anxiety.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
This kicks a**! I just wrote in another thread that I'm minimalist and avoid picking up stuff at random. But this I need to thuink about working in somewhere.