• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Activist Magick. Your Opinion

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I did a search on the forum regarding activism (actually activist) and didn't get any returns other than of all things a book by Crowley. So, i created a post.

I don't intend for this to be political but more about what would you be more inclined to do: 1.) giving aid magickally to the dispossessed and downtrodden, 2) or magickal retribution against those caused the destruction? A third option perhaps?

After my initial anger to smite the one causing pain, I feel my efforts are more worthwhile to aid those in pain.

I personally feel on the world stage or on a large societal scale the oppressor if a leader is protected by something like a shield created by their followers.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
1) would definitely be my choice. It might even manifest itself as problems for the destroyers - remember, the universe doesn't care how your desire is carried out, so choose carefully :D

Mannimarco

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The basic hurdle to overcome with such endeavors is finding out who the oppressers actually are. All the real oppressors spend unimaginable amounts of money painting themselves as virtuous hero's, and painting their enemies as the bad guys. If you're from the western world especially, untangling all of the narratives the elites have created, telling you who is bad and who to fight against, is a massive undertaking. The more popular a belief/narrative is, the further from the truth it probably is.

This is also very advanced stuff, and potentially extremely dangerous.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
1) would definitely be my choice. It might even manifest itself as problems for the destroyers - remember, the universe doesn't care how your desire is carried out, so choose carefully :D
Yes, thinking that myself about secondary gains from aid than destructive force :)
Post automatically merged:

The basic hurdle to overcome with such endeavors is finding out who the oppressers actually are. All the real oppressors spend unimaginable amounts of money painting themselves as virtuous hero's, and painting their enemies as the bad guys. If you're from the western world especially, untangling all of the narratives the elites have created, telling you who is bad and who to fight against, is a massive undertaking. The more popular a belief/narrative is, the further from the truth it probably is.

This is also very advanced stuff, and potentially extremely dangerous.
Completely agree about distortions caused by narratives. I wouldn't step into anything that is outside my own experience or minority group.
Also agree that this is advanced stuff with things going potentially very badly.
Working with a servitor years ago in my youth on behalf of a friend was a great success but an ethical/moral disaster. Afterwards I took & take a more introspective approach to never repeat that mistake.

Mannimarco gives a good argument against 2), so yeah, go for 1) :)
Lol yep

Last edited:

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Individual leaders are symptoms of the social structures they defend, which can only be uprooted by revolt. So prioritize 1. But if some oligarchs’ dicks fall off in the process all the better.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I did a search on the forum regarding activism (actually activist) and didn't get any returns other than of all things a book by Crowley. So, i created a post.

I don't intend for this to be political but more about what would you be more inclined to do: 1.) giving aid magickally to the dispossessed and downtrodden, 2) or magickal retribution against those caused the destruction? A third option perhaps?

After my initial anger to smite the one causing pain, I feel my efforts are more worthwhile to aid those in pain.

I personally feel on the world stage or on a large societal scale the oppressor if a leader is protected by something like a shield created by their followers.
I give aid to those who show evidence of "the right stuff" where latent strength and honor are concerned. These are not often the "downtrodden" as painted by current "narratives." My thinking is fight now; bandage up later.

Mannimarco gives a good argument against 2), so yeah, go for 1) :)
His post is scarcely an argument against it. It is more a warning about the very thorny tactical hurdles one faces.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I give aid to those who show evidence of "the right stuff" where latent strength and honor are concerned. These are not often the "downtrodden" as painted by current "narratives." My thinking is fight now; bandage up later.

His post is scarcely an argument against it. It is more a warning about the very thorny tactical hurdles one faces.
What got this topic started for me was an article about online queer bating in a particular nation where people go on social apps and pretend to be gay to get gay/trans men to location to out/mug/beat them because of sexuality/identity. That's the narrative here. Downtrodden aptly describes this demographic and scenario.

If i were the warrior type, fight then bandage up is perfect for option 2. I see why now option 1 is more in line with myself. Nurturing is more my style. Each style and a spectrum of each preferred reaction keeps our species alive.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
What got this topic started for me was an article about online queer bating in a particular nation where people go on social apps and pretend to be gay to get gay/trans men to location to out/mug/beat them because of sexuality/identity. That's the narrative here. Downtrodden aptly describes this demographic and scenario.

If i were the warrior type, fight then bandage up is perfect for option 2. I see why now option 1 is more in line with myself. Nurturing is more my style. Each style and a spectrum of each preferred reaction keeps our species alive.
I'm not by any stretch "woke." But even my sturmbahner-self finds the queer-baiting practice above deplorable. Downtrodden? One can think of proactive responses. Think on the designated driver concept: drunks looking out for each other. Why not a "watch my back" network? When going to a hookup, one has a couple of discreet chaperones lurking nearby. When and if the s*** goes down, help is only a holler away. This way the heretofore downtrodden not only create a margin of safety, they also drastically enhance self respect. Even better, the authorities are left on the margins where they belong.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Completely agree. Community support from within whatever group is better than one person on their own. Self empowerment by calling/yelling for help activates diverse people to intercede on behalf of those they would normally be opposed to. The basic human right to exist without physical harm drives a majority of people to act. That's assuming the particular culture has a concept of basic human rights.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Completely agree. Community support from within whatever group is better than one person on their own. Self empowerment by calling/yelling for help activates diverse people to intercede on behalf of those they would normally be opposed to. The basic human right to exist without physical harm drives a majority of people to act. That's assuming the particular culture has a concept of basic human rights.
People have been asserting themselves since long long afore "human rights" was coined. Indeed, a conception of human rights might well be a hindrance. Instead of scheming back, I the victim expect "someone" to step in and "defend" my rights. UN, Amnesty International, ACLU and others ascribing to the word-for-word literal inerrancy of John Rawls. By contrast, Sharks 'n Jets don't need no "human rights." They got turf and camaraderie. I expect the future of North America will be writ by the descendants of today's Malra Salvatrucha and Tango Blast.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
By contrast, Sharks 'n Jets don't need no "human rights." They got turf and camaraderie. I expect the future of North America will be writ by the descendants of today's Malra Salvatrucha and Tango Blast.
In a magical sense that's two potent streams to tap. I have no idea the cultural/societal impact of them on future US generations unless it's addiction related.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
In a magical sense that's two potent streams to tap. I have no idea the cultural/societal impact of them on future US generations unless it's addiction related.
Who knows what the future might bring? Thugs go legit under the right circumstances. (Hey, FDR's Delano kinfolks made their fortune partly through drug-running to China back in the 19th century.) There are those of us who ascribe to a "bandit theory of government." That is, government had its origins in an early version of the protection racket. A share of the harvest in exchange for protection from those those other guys, the bad bandits. I started thinking along these lines when I found out the outlaw Pancho Villa was a hero, "the centaur of the North," just 'crosst the river in Mexico.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Who knows what the future might bring? Thugs go legit under the right circumstances. (Hey, FDR's Delano kinfolks made their fortune partly through drug-running to China back in the 19th century.) There are those of us who ascribe to a "bandit theory of government." That is, government had its origins in an early version of the protection racket. A share of the harvest in exchange for protection from those those other guys, the bad bandits. I started thinking along these lines when I found out the outlaw Pancho Villa was a hero, "the centaur of the North," just 'crosst the river in Mexico.
Very insightful and a lot of truth here. There are more grey areas with what is what than white and black for sure.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The basic hurdle to overcome with such endeavors is finding out who the oppressers actually are.
Sometimes we are our own oppressors too, so there's also that.
What got this topic started for me was an article about online queer bating in a particular nation where people go on social apps and pretend to be gay to get gay/trans men to location to out/mug/beat them because of sexuality/identity.
That is pure evil, playing(and preying) on people's hopes of love and understanding only to give them pain and humilliation.
Those that do that are the lowest of the low and must be people that live mediocre lives so for them to feel better with their own mediocrity they go after those that they deem "less worthy".

The only good thing about people like that is that in the end they are self-destructive.

Reaction score
Awards
A lot of people do evil in this world.
Why should we add to the sum total?

I say, do good instead, even if it seems like the losing side at times. Bless your irritating neighbors with a new place to live and a job in that location. Bless abusers with remorse. Etc.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
A lot of people do evil in this world.
Why should we add to the sum total?

I say, do good instead, even if it seems like the losing side at times. Bless your irritating neighbors with a new place to live and a job in that location. Bless abusers with remorse. Etc.
Fighting back is scarcely adding to the sum total of what's negative.

Reaction score
Awards
So instead of donating to Toys for Tots for example, you would drain the toy chest and/or (rather than) the bank accounts of the corrupt CEOs behind it?

Good vs Evil .. hard to know which is which at times.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Donors to widders and orphans are a swarm compared to those who'll go toe to toe with Snaggly Whiplash or whoever oppresses widders and orphans. (And this says nothing of the many many who think it's their "right" to breed carelessly and others' "duty" to look after and finance their brats.)