• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Angels Stereotyped?

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Spherical gods are a Platonic thing, spheres being considered the most perfect form. I believe Christian thinkers like Clement and Origen of Alexandria may have applied this to the angels- in any rate they thought the humans’ resurrection body must be spherical.

Pseudo-Dionysius argues at once that the angels are incorporeal and beyond imagining, and at the same time that the strange descriptions of them in the scriptures (wheels, eyes, animal heads, etc) are appropriate precisely because they are unlike:

But if any one should blame the descriptions as being incongruous, by saying that it is shameful to attribute shapes so repugnant to the Godlike and most holy Orders, it is enough to reply that the method of Divine revelation is twofold; one, indeed, as is natural, proceeding through likenesses that are similar, and of a sacred character, but the other, through dissimilar forms, fashioning them into entire unlikeness and incongruity. No doubt, the mystical traditions of the revealing Oracles sometimes extol the august Blessedness of the super-essential Godhead, as Word , and Mind, and Essence, manifesting its God-becoming expression and wisdom, both as really being Origin, and true Cause of the origin of things being, and they describe It as light , and call it life. While such sacred descriptions are more reverent, and seem in a certain way to be superior to the material images, they yet, even thus, in reality fall short of the supremely Divine similitude. For It is above every essence and life. No light, indeed, expresses its character, and every description and mind incomparably fall short of Its similitude.

But at other times its praises are supermundanely sung, by the Oracles themselves, through dissimilar revelations, when they affirm that it is invisible , and infinite , and incomprehensible ; and when there is signified, not what it is, but what it is not. For this, as I think, is more appropriate to It, since, as the secret and sacerdotal tradition taught, we rightly describe its non-relationship to things created, but we do not know its superessential, and inconceivable, and unutterable indefinability. If, then, the negations respecting things Divine are true, but the affirmations are inharmonious, the revelation as regards things invisible, through dissimilar representations, is more appropriate to the hiddenness of things unutterable.

Here Pseudo-D is echoing Proclus’ astonishing defense of Homer… but that’s another subject.

Reaction score
Awards
So basically all the scriptures are incorrect, based on the philosophy path. Thats my gist of what youre backing that claim on platonic solids with.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Why would archangels, or any other be geometrically shapeed?
Consider that the Tree of Life fits on a human. The ToL is geometric. Are humans unique in having a geometric energy structure?

tree-of-life-body.jpg

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Why would archangels, or any other be geometrically shapeed? No scriptures back that claim up. If anything they would appear as tall robed humans with shoulder length hair.
It could be a USP (unique selling point) for one of those beginner's magic/the-Scriptures-finally-decoded "magic" manuals. You know the ones: as common as toadstools after April showers and lasting about as long in niche-market consciousness. We've all seen the drill, "Where the Hebrew "ish" might indeed be translated as "man" or "of human form," there is an obscure dialect in proto-Chaldean where "ish" denotes "shaped like a dodecahedron." Recall that Abraham came from "Ur of the Chaldees"and doubtless was conversant in its several tongues. I submit therefor that Abraham's guests that fateful evening were not, in fact, of human form but mobile dodecahedrons. Which would explain why they refused the food he prepared for them. Men eat. Geometric figures do not." (p. 174, "Geotheology: the Euclidic Key to the Heavenly Choirs.")

Patriotism was the last refuge for Shaw's scoundrels. In post-modern, post-employment times, the publishing industry offers us that haven.
Post automatically merged:

Consider that the Tree of Life fits on a human. The ToL is geometric. Are humans unique in having a geometric energy structure?

tree-of-life-body.jpg
The tree of life, so-called, also fits onto an iguana, my wife's Nissan SUV, and the receiver,barrel and gas-piston assembly of an AK-47 rifle. Does this triad therefore share the same energy structure?
Post automatically merged:

I mean really, I can cram my pet cat's foot into a glass slipper. That don't make her into Cinderella. Ditto for tagging the Sefirot onto any chance shape and crying "Eureka!"

Last edited:

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Does this triad therefore share the same energy structure?
Devise some experiments to test your proposition.

Meanwhile the ToL fits on landscapes up to continental level and beyond - predicting the nature of the cities that coincide with sephiroth

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I think one of the important things about magic is not whether these things actually map onto one another, but whether you can consider it a useful belief in your practices that they do.
I was being a bit unfair, or at least hyperbolic. My point about angels and geometry was that an awful lot of "authorities" out there will hawk any offbeat idea as a way of getting noticed. Like the old 60's joke where the "guru" says "Life is three matzoh balls floating in a bowl of Kool-Aid." Disciple, "Why O Guru Mike is life three matzoh balls floating in a bowl of Kool Aid?" Guru: "Did you come here to learn or did you come here to argue?!"

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I suppose a dogmatic geometrician would say that proves you didn't actually see Gabriel.
But I did, He was Muscular and handsome. And had black leather Pants and was with no shirt in and had wings. However, now I know it was The Universe taking a form. Although at the time, I felt what I thought was Gabriel's Energy.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
But I did, He was Muscular and handsome. And had black leather Pants and was with no shirt in and had wings. However, now I know it was The Universe taking a form. Although at the time, I felt what I thought was Gabriel's Energy.
I suppose that's a good question: how one knows the entity in question. Would the old Christian iconography help? (Keys for St. Peter, etc.)