• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

black walnut husk dye

saxazax

Neophyte
Reaction score
EJUkrcd.jpeg

got some black walnut trees where i live. i gathered a few (15 or so) and sliced thru them. they are easy to cut through at this time of year (early july). the nut shells inside the husks do not harden until autumn. i cut the soft nut parts out, until i only had green pieces. they turn brown when exposed to air, eventually turning black. i cut all the husk pieces up even smaller, into about pea-sized pieces. i put them all in a container of water. within a couple of hours, the water had already turned a dark brown! i will use this to dye some cloth soon - renaissance faires coming up!

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
My Mother used to spin wool and then dye with all different kinds of plants. I was too young to remember all details now, but I loved it!

good luck and tell us about your results :)

Sage

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
EJUkrcd.jpeg

got some black walnut trees where i live. i gathered a few (15 or so) and sliced thru them. they are easy to cut through at this time of year (early july). the nut shells inside the husks do not harden until autumn. i cut the soft nut parts out, until i only had green pieces. they turn brown when exposed to air, eventually turning black. i cut all the husk pieces up even smaller, into about pea-sized pieces. i put them all in a container of water. within a couple of hours, the water had already turned a dark brown! i will use this to dye some cloth soon - renaissance faires coming up!
Here, a book that might be useful(or not), to you:

The Dyer's Handbook - Memoirs of an 18th-Century Master Colourist
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

saxazax

Neophyte
Reaction score
My Mother used to spin wool and then dye with all different kinds of plants. I was too young to remember all details now, but I loved it!

good luck and tell us about your results :)
thank ye silsebyl. when i was young in school we got wool from a sheep, spun it, dyed it, and knit it. im kind of trying to do that again right now as well. just waiting a bit until i get my living situation stable.

Len Seliesen

Neophyte
Reaction score
i held the husks with my fingers without gloves on. it did stain them but it didnt burn. they r still pretty stained 2 days after but idc really
Ah yes, the skin stain. It's good at that too.

Len Seliesen

Neophyte
Reaction score
i held the husks with my fingers without gloves on. it did stain them but it didnt burn. they r still pretty stained 2 days after but idc really
It also may depend on where it stays. I once mistakenly smeared a good bit of it on the back of my leg and forgot about it. Had a burn from it. And on my neck. More sensitive areas are prone. Glad you didn't have any irritation.

saxazax

Neophyte
Reaction score
It also may depend on where it stays. I once mistakenly smeared a good bit of it on the back of my leg and forgot about it. Had a burn from it. And on my neck. More sensitive areas are prone. Glad you didn't have any irritation.
hm maybe ur allergic

Reaction score
Awards
EJUkrcd.jpeg

In regard to stains. You might try regular Elmer's glue. Rub it on your hands, let it dry then maybe it will peel out the stain.

I am not a medical professional at all, so ask someone in healthcare first.