• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion Favourite sci-fi/fantasy books or authors?

Talk about a book(s)

Digiquo

Zealot
Joined
Nov 2, 2025
Messages
129
Reaction score
187
Awards
3
From what I've heard, David Lynch had a great start, but later faced funding cuts, which meant he couldn't finish the movie the way he originally wanted to.
The Denis Villeneuve films have been more successful, partly because, I think, he had a much bigger budget and an entire “army” behind him. Great films based on great books....
The first 2 books, 'Dune' and 'God Emporer of Dune', I think should be mandatory reading for anybody trying to walk a more spiritual path. Yes, the sci fi elements are cool and the politics are intriguing, both of which have proven to translate excellently to film by a competent director, but what those films fail to capture that I think is the most important part of the whole shebang is the underlying spiritual currents that Paul is thrust into, and grappling with whether he's really in control of what's happening or not. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't read them, but there's a good reason people have been talking about the books for decades despite the (up till very recently) middling success of its adaptations.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
259
Reaction score
299
Awards
5
The first 2 books, 'Dune' and 'God Emporer of Dune', I think should be mandatory reading for anybody trying to walk a more spiritual path. Yes, the sci fi elements are cool and the politics are intriguing, both of which have proven to translate excellently to film by a competent director, but what those films fail to capture that I think is the most important part of the whole shebang is the underlying spiritual currents that Paul is thrust into, and grappling with whether he's really in control of what's happening or not. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't read them, but there's a good reason people have been talking about the books for decades despite the (up till very recently) middling success of its adaptations.
Yeah, I’ve actually read the whole Dune series - except for the books his son continued -and that spiritual side is probably what is so interesting.
I’ve always wondered how much control Paul really has once he can see what’s coming.
./And the Bene Gesserit are such a cool part of it too --their training almost feel like a kind of occult tradition.
That’s probably why I think Dune fits so well with conversations about magic and spirituality. There’s just so much underneath the sci-fi and politics.
 

Jsinclair

Acolyte
Joined
Dec 15, 2023
Messages
387
Reaction score
1,287
Awards
6
My favorite authors in the sci-fi and fantasy genres are Clive Barker, Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, JG Ballard, and Julian May. Imajica is my favorite book.
Really? I mean.... seriously? Imajica is your favorite book? I have literally never heard that a single time before this. Cool for you, but I had to do something I very rarely do and simply stop reading it about 300 pages in. I just did not give half a f*ck about a single one of the characters. And, to me, the world(s) were as impressive and immersive as a trip to a dentist office in an otherwise abandoned strip mall. Thing is though, the overall concept and the magical society angle and even the smuggling etc. were very cool. It all just, somehow, fell apart in Clive Barker's usually captivating imagination and writing style.

Now, Coldheart Canyon... definitely in my personal top 5 favorite novels ever. But freaking IMAJICA....I just have to ask...in all seriousness...why?
 

Frater M.M.

Apprentice
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
98
Reaction score
171
Awards
1
Yes, that's true -I forgot to mention the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
series by Frank Herbert. /
His son later continued the story with sequels and prequels, but I definitely prefer his father's writing style.
I could probably talk about Paul Atreides, aka Muad'Dib, for ages, because I really loved the philosophy behind his character and the whole idea.

Go on, let's hear a bit :)

..But since we’re on a wizard website, where people talk about rites, wizards, and witches, I’d also like to mention the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
especially their Reverend Mother,
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. They were almost like a powerful order of witches, with their own special training and abilities, including "the Voice."

Yeah they were very cool.

Here’s a fragment from David Lynch’s version.

The old 80s movie caught a lot of hate but even as a fan of the novels I really enjoy it. The depictions of the sandworms were great.

Yeah, great movie, IMO. Seen it many times. Plus you have an oiled-up Sting wandering around in a nappy with a bloated, pus-ridden Baron Harkonnen floating around him in a chair. What's not to love?
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
259
Reaction score
299
Awards
5
Another fantasy/vampire/horror author is
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, who writes both fantasy and sci-fi. She’s best known for her
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
series. She’s not super well known yet, probably because she’s still relatively young.
I actually heard about her because I’ve read her wife -
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
sci-fi books. :)
Arkady won two Hugo Awards for -
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
and -
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
which really put her on the map.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
259
Reaction score
299
Awards
5
I’d also like to mention three important awards in fantasy and science fiction: the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
,
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, and
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. You can check their annual winners and use the lists to discover interesting books to read.
I’d also recommend Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Justice, which made her famous.
It’s about an AI that controls a starship as well as the bodies of soldiers used in its campaigns.
It’s a really interesting read, and definitely worth checking out if you like this kind of sci-fi.
 

Frater M.M.

Apprentice
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
98
Reaction score
171
Awards
1
I’d also like to mention three important awards in fantasy and science fiction: the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
,
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, and
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. You can check their annual winners and use the lists to discover interesting books to read.

I don't think I recognise any of the 2025 award winners/nominees for any of the awards. Feeling old now 😦
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
259
Reaction score
299
Awards
5
I don't think I recognise any of the 2025 award winners/nominees for any of the awards. Feeling old now 😦
Some of them are new writers, but if so many people voted for them and they got nominated for the award, they must be pretty good...
Sometimes I like checking out new authors or books I’ve never heard of.
.It’s like when you’re walking downtown, grab a coffee, walk into a library, and sit down for a few minutes just to see what they have.
You never know what you might find. :)
 

Frater M.M.

Apprentice
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
98
Reaction score
171
Awards
1
Yeah, for sure. It's always a nice feeling when you stumble across a random gem.

I'm surprised no one really mentioned ppl like Pratchett or Zelazny in this thread. Probably read first half (or more) of Pratchett's books as they came out. As for Zelazny, Princes of Amber series is another masterpiece, IMO.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
259
Reaction score
299
Awards
5
Yeah, for sure. It's always a nice feeling when you stumble across a random gem.

I'm surprised no one really mentioned ppl like Pratchett or Zelazny in this thread. Probably read first half (or more) of Pratchett's books as they came out. As for Zelazny, Princes of Amber series is another masterpiece, IMO.
Haven’t read them yet. Maybe after I finish Anathem, I’ll check them out...
 
Top