• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Growing Mandrake

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Last year I ordered two bags of Mandrake seeds (Mandragora Autumnalis). Planted three separate seeds in three pots. Nothing.
A couple of weeks ago I threw all remaining seeds in one pot, placed it in a propagator and thought "well, probably won't do anything". One seed has germinated. Very appropriate for a plant that is said to resemble a human 😅

I want to grow and keep this living plant and try to form a magickal connection with it.
Any tips?

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Last edited:

Divs

Neophyte
Reaction score
I dont know a great deal about Autumnalis, but it flowers in the fall (hence the name) as opposed to Mandragora officinarum which blooms in the spring.

From my understanding the autumnalis does best in sandy soil that is kept moist. However, I've never personally grown this particular species, so this is only hearsay on my part.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you. I have given him a new massive pot just now and a nice spot on the windowsill 👍

Divs

Neophyte
Reaction score
I have some seeds for a few things I need to look into as well. This post reminded me I kinda need to get on the ball with that. Happy growing!

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know anything about mandrake in particular, but most seedlings like consistent moisture at the very top of the soil. Don't let that top 1/8" of soil completely dry out, while ensuring the soil isn't too soggy at the same time. Soggy soil can cause as many problems as dry soil, due to the rot and disease that can fester from excess moisture. Seedlings are particularly vulnerable to this.

If you're sprouting this bad boy in a windowsill or something where sunlight only comes from one direction, rotate the pot 180 degrees every day or two. This prevents the plant from becoming "leggy", which is when the stem grows weak and the seedling ends up collapsing under its own weight.

Most plants get to a certain point in maturity where they are past the "itty bitty baby sprout" stage, and begin to have different needs that more resemble the mature plant. While I don't know what stage that plant looks to be at, know that as it grows, it will likely want different sunlight and moisture levels from what I have stated above. Do research the care needs of mandrake specifically, as every species is different and has its own needs.

As for connecting with the plant itself, the article I wrote here can apply to non-tree plants as well. However, I have found that the younger and smaller the plant, the harder it can be to pick up on them. So you may find it easier to get some "practice" in first, with the stronger souls of things like trees. You could then maybe work your way down to smaller plants, and see how you do. I've been at it for almost a decade now, and I still find barely-emerged seedlings a challenge to communicate with. You may find it easier to connect with your mandrake as it begins to establish itself as a more fully-grown plant.

Reaction score
Awards
I have some seeds for a few things I need to look into as well. This post reminded me I kinda need to get on the ball with that. Happy growing!
That reminds me of a statement from me that with money in my pocket, Id go buy seeds and sprinkle them liberally where I roam.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Does it have a special energy to it separating it from other plants?
I am fascinated by the lore of it and want to use it as a mediator / stepping stone to connecting more with plants. I have several houseplants that i have had for decades and some of them are pretty big. Other than brief feelings of "understanding" or thoughtless feelings during sclerotia trips i have not tried connecting with plants much. I want to change that.
@Scottish_Pride is the man with knowledge on all things green and their energy.

Jk666

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Other than brief feelings of "understanding" or thoughtless feelings during sclerotia trips i have not tried connecting with plants much. I want to change that.
I was able to connect with some large pines near where I live & even had visions of them at night. Most spirits demons etc come to me at night, while I feel the day is more for the material realm.

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
However, I have found that the younger and smaller the plant, the harder it can be to pick up on them. So you may find it easier to get some "practice" in first, with the stronger souls of things like trees. You could then maybe work your way down to smaller plants, and see how you do. I've been at it for almost a decade now, and I still find barely-emerged seedlings a challenge to communicate with. You may find it easier to connect with your mandrake as it begins to establish itself as a more fully-grown plant.

Well, as long as the plant is a baby, the connection you establish should maybe more like one to a newborn and then growing child. Which means, you don't try to do a complex conversation based on the wish to understand all the exciting things of the realm of this plant. ;) It might be more about playing with a child who first might not know how to speak at all or who speaks a foreign language. How do you play with a child from another culture and with another native language? Very fascinating task indeed.