• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Inherited Magic

Aeternus

Disciple
Warned
Joined
Mar 21, 2024
Messages
756
Reaction score
1,592
Awards
13
What would happen to a child of a witch or wizard and an ordinary person?

There are more possibilities - either the child will have magic but may lack any manifestations or the magic might skip the next generation...
The child can have no or very weak manifestation of the magical power or he might become a strong magician.
Let us consider one possible scenario - the witch gives birth to her daughter from a human. The daughter does have some magic but is quite weak. After that the girl gives birth to her son from a human too, and the son lacks any magic manifestation. But then his daughter begins to show some magical abilities.
So, magic can skip a generation and reappear later.

What do you think? Can it skip a generation, or does it disappear if a witch/wizard has a child with a human?
prwitch.jpg

I think that it depends on what tradition you would look into. In my opinion, I don't think that the magic will disappear, it will rather be a little bit hidden ("occult") until the child discoveries his / her magical abilities.

Relationship with "witches" or "wizards" are between humans and infused with magic, deeper than we can comprehend. For example, if she (the witch) has a relationship with a non-witch (him) and the said relationship results in a child or children, depending on case... the child won't be magically weakened or have a parent that won't recognize the magic. In sex, there aren't just two bodies intermingled, there is actual energy exchange. So, if the energy is exchange is performed and the non-magical parent's astral body absorbs / copies some amount of magic from the mother (the witch), the child won't be weakened at all from a magical perspective.

Let's also not forget the impact that generational planets have in this (Neptune, Uranus). Those are slow planets. Slow planets like this can certainly influence how your future generation will be attracted to magic. If Uranus is in the 8th House or the 12th House, or Neptune is in a harmonious aspect with the Moon or Venus or is in the 1st House or 8th House, then that will have a significant impact.

Another thing that I would look for in the case of the child being attracted to magic and the occult is also their ascendant. If the ascendant is for example, in Scorpio, it can signify the attraction to those things that are more on the occult side as Scorpio rules depth and mystery and the allegorical concept of death (ego death).

And lastly, if the child lacks any magical manifestation at a young age, chances are that at one point the calling from the deity that patrons them since birth will be felt, albeit indirectly. Some things are totally out of our control and at times I must admit that some intuitive abilities I have are innate, but others are like a strange calling yet... the solution is there.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
266
Reaction score
306
Awards
5
You seem very hung up on some things that simply don't exist outside of fantasy fiction. You're "imagining" magic in some way that doesn't reflect what anyone here does with it. There is no such thing as "magic people" or "ordinary people."

As for children seeming to "inherit" skills that their parents have, like musical and artistic talents (and surely magic), this likely has to do with environmental exposure at a young age, in addition to their parents teaching them. This is very easy to understand when you look at neuroplasticity in childhood. This effect also likely contributed to the development caste systems, where a son of a priest would be better suited to be a priest, and the son of a builder better suited to building etc. And that in turn led to the idea that spiritual people's children inherit something special.

The whole line of thinking you're imagining would be great if you're writing a novel. If you actually want to learn about and practice magic, you need to throw all of that away. It's only going to do damage to your ability to achieve success by building up this artificial wall in your head that magic is somehow limited by inheritance. It's walls like these that prevent someone from doing magic, and it has nothing to do with you being just an "ordinary human."
I think you’re taking this a little more seriously than I am. :) I’m not saying “this is how magic works” or that people are somehow limited by their bloodline. I’m just playing with an idea.
If we imagine, just for the sake of the argument, that magical ability can exist, why couldn’t it be inherited in some way that doesn’t work exactly like normal genetics? Maybe it could be weak in one generation and show up more strongly in another. Maybe it couldn’t. I just think it’s an interesting possibility...
And that’s really all I mean. Imagining something doesn’t mean I believe it’s true. :) Sometimes it’s just fun to ask “what if?”
.So no, I’m not building some artificial wall around myself or worrying that my genes are preventing me from doing magic. :) I’m just entertaining an idea. You don’t have to believe in it for me to find it interesting.
 

ewiz

Zealot
Joined
Mar 3, 2024
Messages
134
Reaction score
211
Awards
2
I think you’re taking this a little more seriously than I am. :) I’m not saying “this is how magic works” or that people are somehow limited by their bloodline. I’m just playing with an idea.
If we imagine, just for the sake of the argument, that magical ability can exist, why couldn’t it be inherited in some way that doesn’t work exactly like normal genetics? Maybe it could be weak in one generation and show up more strongly in another. Maybe it couldn’t. I just think it’s an interesting possibility...
And that’s really all I mean. Imagining something doesn’t mean I believe it’s true. :) Sometimes it’s just fun to ask “what if?”
.So no, I’m not building some artificial wall around myself or worrying that my genes are preventing me from doing magic. :) I’m just entertaining an idea. You don’t have to believe in it for me to find it interesting.
I was under the impression that this forum was intended for serious discussion, and not simply playing with any silly idea one might come up with.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
266
Reaction score
306
Awards
5
I think that it depends on what tradition you would look into. In my opinion, I don't think that the magic will disappear, it will rather be a little bit hidden ("occult") until the child discoveries his / her magical abilities.

Relationship with "witches" or "wizards" are between humans and infused with magic, deeper than we can comprehend. For example, if she (the witch) has a relationship with a non-witch (him) and the said relationship results in a child or children, depending on case... the child won't be magically weakened or have a parent that won't recognize the magic. In sex, there aren't just two bodies intermingled, there is actual energy exchange. So, if the energy is exchange is performed and the non-magical parent's astral body absorbs / copies some amount of magic from the mother (the witch), the child won't be weakened at all from a magical perspective.

Let's also not forget the impact that generational planets have in this (Neptune, Uranus). Those are slow planets. Slow planets like this can certainly influence how your future generation will be attracted to magic. If Uranus is in the 8th House or the 12th House, or Neptune is in a harmonious aspect with the Moon or Venus or is in the 1st House or 8th House, then that will have a significant impact.

Another thing that I would look for in the case of the child being attracted to magic and the occult is also their ascendant. If the ascendant is for example, in Scorpio, it can signify the attraction to those things that are more on the occult side as Scorpio rules depth and mystery and the allegorical concept of death (ego death).

And lastly, if the child lacks any magical manifestation at a young age, chances are that at one point the calling from the deity that patrons them since birth will be felt, albeit indirectly. Some things are totally out of our control and at times I must admit that some intuitive abilities I have are innate, but others are like a strange calling yet... the solution is there.
I think we’re actually saying pretty much the same thing. 😊
I like the idea that the magic doesn’t just disappear because one parent isn’t magical, but might just stay hidden and show up later...
I hadn’t thought about the energy/astrology side of it, though. That’s an interesting way of looking at it. :)
 

Dyn Hysbys

Zealot
Joined
Mar 3, 2025
Messages
114
Reaction score
215
Awards
3
If we're just randomly spit balling D&D/HP fanfic and the like, aren't there fora for that.
Like, writers groups?
Positing fantasy as if it's some sort of occult science just muddies everything.
 

Digiquo

Zealot
Joined
Nov 2, 2025
Messages
133
Reaction score
197
Awards
3
I think you’re taking this a little more seriously than I am. :) I’m not saying “this is how magic works” or that people are somehow limited by their bloodline. I’m just playing with an idea.
If we imagine, just for the sake of the argument, that magical ability can exist, why couldn’t it be inherited in some way that doesn’t work exactly like normal genetics? Maybe it could be weak in one generation and show up more strongly in another. Maybe it couldn’t. I just think it’s an interesting possibility...
And that’s really all I mean. Imagining something doesn’t mean I believe it’s true. :) Sometimes it’s just fun to ask “what if?”
.So no, I’m not building some artificial wall around myself or worrying that my genes are preventing me from doing magic. :) I’m just entertaining an idea. You don’t have to believe in it for me to find it interesting.
This sort of discussion is probably best suited for The Lounge portion of the forum then. The Order section is intended for serious discussion.
 

duncanhillscoffeeco

Neophyte
Warned
Joined
Sep 21, 2026
Messages
43
Reaction score
36
What would happen to a child of a witch or wizard and an ordinary person?

There are more possibilities - either the child will have magic but may lack any manifestations or the magic might skip the next generation...
The child can have no or very weak manifestation of the magical power or he might become a strong magician.
Let us consider one possible scenario - the witch gives birth to her daughter from a human. The daughter does have some magic but is quite weak. After that the girl gives birth to her son from a human too, and the son lacks any magic manifestation. But then his daughter begins to show some magical abilities.
So, magic can skip a generation and reappear later.

What do you think? Can it skip a generation, or does it disappear if a witch/wizard has a child with a human?
prwitch.jpg
Dude, what the fuck are you even talking about? Magick is a technology, anyone can use it (except maybe people with aphantasia). This isn't "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" where witches are fundamentally different from "mortals" LMFAO grow up. Nice AI slop btw.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
266
Reaction score
306
Awards
5
This sort of discussion is probably best suited for The Lounge portion of the forum then. The Order section is intended for serious discussion.
Since everyone is free to join whichever discussions they enjoy, please feel free to do the same. There’s no point in joining a discussion one doesn’t enjoy, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I’m going to call it a night. I wish you all a pleasant day or a good night, depending on where you are.
Blessed be, and may your night be filled with good magic. !!
 

ewiz

Zealot
Joined
Mar 3, 2024
Messages
134
Reaction score
211
Awards
2
Since everyone is free to join whichever discussions they enjoy, please feel free to do the same. There’s no point in joining a discussion one doesn’t enjoy, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I’m going to call it a night. I wish you all a pleasant day or a good night, depending on where you are.
Blessed be, and may your night be filled with good magic. !!
The point in joining a discussion like this is to benefit readers, particularly beginners who might lack the ability to understand that what you're proposing is nonsense. Calling out that these ideas are drawn from fantasy fiction and your own imagination, might save people who are looking for something serious a lot of time.
 

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,811
Reaction score
4,266
Awards
13
[1b] Robert: focussing our intent enables our brain to help us trace a path through a multiverse to an existing universe that corresponds to our desired state.
You have it :)

I am currently working on a second edition of my book which will hopefully shed some light on how this process happens :)
 

Golden Saturn

Neophyte
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
17
That’s actually pretty interesting. So maybe having magical potential and actually developing it are two different things.
Someone could have strong magic but never realize it, while someone with weaker magic could be really interested in studying it....
So would the natal chart show their potential, or more their tendency to develop it??
Yeah, I agree that two things are different. In natal chart, that a child has magical potential, but will be required to develop it. Because every natal chart has own hidden seeds. All seeds are required to be watered, right? For example, I decide to send both powerful and average children to magic school. Powerful child will be successful because the child just does one drop of water. The seed becomes matured too fast. Average child will have to pour the seed with big bucket of water. Same common that they can learn how to do magic, right? But, one of them is naturally skilled or gifted.
 

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,811
Reaction score
4,266
Awards
13
But, one of them is naturally skilled or gifted.
But not genetically, right? That's the point of this thread. One might pick it up much easier than the other, but we don't talk about how, say, woodworking has a genetic component just because someone seems to have a natural affinity for it.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
266
Reaction score
306
Awards
5
Yeah, I agree that two things are different. In natal chart, that a child has magical potential, but will be required to develop it. Because every natal chart has own hidden seeds. All seeds are required to be watered, right? For example, I decide to send both powerful and average children to magic school. Powerful child will be successful because the child just does one drop of water. The seed becomes matured too fast. Average child will have to pour the seed with big bucket of water. Same common that they can learn how to do magic, right? But, one of them is naturally skilled or gifted.
So the natal chart shows the natural “seed” someone is born with, and then how much they develop it depends on how much they learn and practice....
/.That makes me think about my earlier idea of magic being inherited. Maybe the seed can be inherited but stay weak or dormant for a generation, then show up more strongly later. Do you think that could work with what you mean by the hidden seeds?
 

Golden Saturn

Neophyte
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
17
But not genetically, right? That's the point of this thread. One might pick it up much easier than the other, but we don't talk about how, say, woodworking has a genetic component just because someone seems to have a natural affinity for it.
Yeah, magical potential through blood. But, by logic, how many attempts parent to make a baby? Average 78 attempts. Some parents take too many attempts. So, like Fate will approve that a child will inherit from the parent, or not. From parent's natal chart, I would look at the fifth house and what say about child's future or what will child be involved with something in the future. From child's natal chart, I would look at the fourth house and what say about child's ancestors. Were all ancestors involved magic practice? Or just one ancestor? Like that. Technically, its genetically? Time is decided by Fate, right?
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
266
Reaction score
306
Awards
5
Yeah, magical potential through blood. But, by logic, how many attempts parent to make a baby? Average 78 attempts. Some parents take too many attempts. So, like Fate will approve that a child will inherit from the parent, or not. From parent's natal chart, I would look at the fifth house and what say about child's future or what will child be involved with something in the future. From child's natal chart, I would look at the fourth house and what say about child's ancestors. Were all ancestors involved magic practice? Or just one ancestor? Like that. Technically, its genetically? Time is decided by Fate, right?
I like that idea. Maybe magic is inherited, but Fate decides how strongly it shows up in each generation.
So it could be weak in one child, seem to disappear in the next, and then suddenly show up strongly in their child./
And I also like this thing of looking at the fifth and fourth houses for that...
Maybe the magic never really disappears - it’s just dormant until the right person comes along. :)
 

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,811
Reaction score
4,266
Awards
13
Maybe the magic never really disappears - it’s just dormant until the right person comes along. :)
Like I said, I believe magic to not disappear because it's an ability inherent to being a sentient human, and not genetically based.
 

Golden Saturn

Neophyte
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
17
I like that idea. Maybe magic is inherited, but Fate decides how strongly it shows up in each generation.
So it could be weak in one child, seem to disappear in the next, and then suddenly show up strongly in their child./
And I also like this thing of looking at the fifth and fourth houses for that...
Maybe the magic never really disappears - it’s just dormant until the right person comes along. :)
Yes, magic never disappears. We are made out of the universe, right? Like we have hydrogen in our bodies, for example. As witch, we will need ingredients to make a specific result, right? All ingredients are made out of universe too. Life is truly magic!
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
266
Reaction score
306
Awards
5
Like I said, I believe magic to not disappear because it's an ability inherent to being a sentient human, and not genetically based.
I was just thinking of it more in terms of magic being something that can be passed down, but not necessarily showing up in everyone.
Like it could be there but not manifest, and then show up again later.
That's all I meant really, not that it has to work that way. I think we're just looking at it differently….
 

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,811
Reaction score
4,266
Awards
13
I was just thinking of it more in terms of magic being something that can be passed down, but not necessarily showing up in everyone.
Like it could be there but not manifest, and then show up again later.
That's all I meant really, not that it has to work that way. I think we're just looking at it differently….
Fair enough. When people talk about things being 'passed down' they normally mean genetics, but I guess you mean there might be some other, possibly supernatural, mechanism.
Myself, I'm satisfied with it being like running; everyone with legs is capable, but not everyone is Usain Bolt, and some people never bother to run at all.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
266
Reaction score
306
Awards
5
Fair enough. When people talk about things being 'passed down' they normally mean genetics, but I guess you mean there might be some other, possibly supernatural, mechanism.
Myself, I'm satisfied with it being like running; everyone with legs is capable, but not everyone is Usain Bolt, and some people never bother to run at all.
I can live with the running analogy.
I think we’ve officially reached the point where we’re saying basically the same thing, just with different magical theories attached to it :)

I'm watching this old film... with Peter Ustinov playing Hercule Poirot - Evil Under the Sun (1982) made after Agatha Christie's book.... I just love Peter Ustinov ....
 
Top