• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Inherited Magic

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,847
Reaction score
4,360
Awards
13
That's cool. You sound broadly like an emergentist/non-reductive physicalist (a bit like Searle with his biological naturalism IIRC). Personally, when I last looked at the mind-body debate (many years ago), none of the solutions adequately answered the problem for me. They all had flaws. That said, I probably wouldn't spend years of my life writing a book to repair substance dualism philosophically either.
I heartily recommend Being You by Anil Seth. I've just re-read it and it really is the most sensible thing I've ever read about consciousness.
Post automatically merged:

If I were forced to put money on it I'd probably go for some kind of property dualist or maybe idealist framework.
I'm not big on idealism either :D
 
Last edited:

Frater M.M.

Zealot
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
152
Reaction score
232
Awards
2
I heartily recommend Being You by Anil Seth. I've just re-read it and it really is the most sensible thing I've ever read about consciousness.

I am not familiar with this young whippersnapper :unsure:

Having read a quick summary of his work, yes it's very interesting and certainly a good project for science. If I'm blind or deaf and want my brain repaired, I'm not going to go Chalmers.

However, none of them (Churchlands, Dennett, Koch, Seth, etc.) seem to explain the brute fact that I have qualia, IMO. And I'm not even sure that closing this explanatory gap is the job for (neuro)science to do by itself, tbh.

The good news for your model tho is I don't think it even needs to deal with Chalmers' version of the hard problem of consciousness. Let's assume (for the sake of argument) p-zombies could nomologically/physically exist. I'm guessing your model would say they could still do magic?
 

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,847
Reaction score
4,360
Awards
13
However, none of them (Churchlands, Dennett, Koch, Seth, etc.) seem to explain the brute fact that I have qualia, IMO. And I'm not even sure that closing this explanatory gap is the job for (neuro)science to do by itself, tbh.
Seth dedicates a portion of the book to explaining why the 'hard problem' is mostly one of our own making; calling it a 'hard problem' implies some assumptions which may not even apply. He compares it to people invoking 'vitalism' when trying to explain life. There's a lot more, and I definitely recommend the book.
The good news for your model tho is I don't think it even needs to deal with Chalmers' version of the hard problem of consciousness. Let's assume (for the sake of argument) p-zombies could nomologically/physically exist. I'm guessing your model would say they could still do magic?
Since I refuse to accept that there could be such a thing, I'm afraid I cannot answer the question :)

But you are correct that the 'hard problem', whatever the fuck it is, is not part of my remit. As with magic, you have to accept that the thing happens before you can try and explain it :)
 

Frater M.M.

Zealot
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
152
Reaction score
232
Awards
2
Seth dedicates a portion of the book to explaining why the 'hard problem' is mostly one of our own making; calling it a 'hard problem' implies some assumptions which may not even apply. He compares it to people invoking 'vitalism' when trying to explain life. There's a lot more, and I definitely recommend the book.

I remain skeptical but will add him to the ever-growing book list (if only someone would pay me to sit around reading philosophy and magick books all day and making long rambling posts on WF 😭)

Since I refuse to accept that there could be such a thing, I'm afraid I cannot answer the question :)

But you are correct that the 'hard problem', whatever the fuck it is, is not part of my remit. As with magic, you have to accept that the thing happens before you can try and explain it :)

That's fair enough 🙂
 
Top