• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Meditation, working from visualization toward empty mind

Reaction score
Awards
Ave all,

Most of my meditation has been of a visualization nature, concentrating on a symbol such as a cube or a tarot card. I have before sought empty mind meditation but could not break through, I know everyone has their own method and timeline, but any beginners tips for the goal of empty mind?

Care, LVX.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
The ‘Empty Mind’ is my preferred type of meditation because I have ADHD really bad and get racing thoughts at times.

I use the Trataka method of gazing at a Candle Flame and stilling the mind.

I just focus on the changing flickering flame and sort of soften that gaze and enter a trance like state.

If a thought enters I don’t berate myself but simply acknowledge it and re center to a thoughtless state.

Sometimes I use light meditative music in the background and sometimes I use silence.

I do remember that you can’t burn candles right now but if you want to try this method you can use a YouTube video of a Candle Flame and several are on there with music playing.

Another bonus is that if you are trying to work on holding images in your mind’s eye you can focus on the flame for a few minutes eyes open and then close your eyes and the after image will be strong and especially in a dark room.

Continue to hold the Flame image even after the phosphenes fade away.

Open your eyes and gaze at the Candle again and repeat.

This way you are kind of multitasking and working on quieting the mind and visualization at the same time.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
There are various mental skills to be developed including:

• ceasing thoughts that are not useful or distracting
  • distinguishing incoming thoughts from home grown
  • developing the inner senses on all the mental subplanes of which the most obvious is clairvoyance. There may be more than 5 senses per subplane
  • control and clearing of each subplane, in part so that proper mental substance can be chosen at will for construction of thoughtforms etc
  • connection with transpersonal sources and functions

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
A visualisation exercise helpful for me was imagining/feeling myself a stream of water and the bed of rocks (thoughts) my water-self flowed over. Feeling the stream as self, imagine the rocks of/in the stream floating up out of the water. Feel/observe urself without thoughts and allow the rocks to settle back down into the stream. Do this for several sessions until a sense of self can be observed flowing without noticable thought.
I find myself naturally now existing at times without thought in a state of no mind in an awareness of being...without judgement or prejudice. I often then choose to move into a state of "bliss" than dwelling/staying in neutrality.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
For me it's void meditation - just sitting still, spine erect, and watching your breathing.

Posture: I use the 'god position' (just sitting on a hard chair with my hands on my thighs, no mudra or anything, without touching the backrest!). Jason Miller thinks that posture is too unstable and recommends sitting on the floor with crossed legs. I admit that he may be right because my pelvis started to wobble when I first started out but then I chanced upon this trick with the cushion (see p. 3), and now it's fine.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I confess it took me some months to find the correct posture. I tend to slump forward, and somebody somewhere even wrote that he first had to develop the right muscles in his back to sit upright because he was so used to lounging around (there may be something to it). Anyway, when I think of the ideal posture, the Egyptian statues at Abu Simbel are as good as fixed in my mind:

Egypt-Abu-Simbel-Statue-Leo-Tamburri-2010-IGP4129-Lg-RGB.jpg

Now it's beginning to feel like the correct posture is locked in place whenever I practice although I still make some small adjustments now and then.

Not-thinking: probably one of the hardest things you can do (or not do, as the case may be) with your mind. "While motionless and breathing deeply, begin to withdraw the mind from any thoughts which arise. The attempt to do this inevitably reveals the mind to be a raging tempest of activity. Only the greatest determination can win even a few seconds of mental silence, but even this is quite a triumph." (Peter J. Carroll, "Liber Null & Psychonaut"). Spot on. Let intruding thoughts come and go, let that tempest blow itself out and don't berate yourself for your initial inability to still the mind.

I once read somewhere that meditating meant "ceasing to struggle". That raging tempest Carroll speaks of? Let it rage, it will eventually calm down. Noises from outside your room? Most human environments produce noises, you're not meditating in the basement, are you? Worries? Accept them but here is a chance to take some time out from brooding if you want to. So I try ceasing to struggle (and ceasing to struggle with ceasing to struggle, etc. as well) for half an hour or so.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Mouni Sadhu has a good practice in his Concentration. You sit and try to watch a clock without any thought creeping.
This does sound interesting. Will try it later.
(Originally I was going to say something about how it sounds like some jobs I've worked---watch the clock and no thinking.)

Reaction score
Awards
Meditation attempt on 'empty mind' - 3 minutes

First hurdle was sitting still in one posture - within first minute
Second was batting away idle thoughts until settling on housing as thought. - within third minute
What does it look like? Like a stereotypical gingerbread house.
How strong is your foundation? Luke 6:48-49.
How well is your kingdom governed, being governed by a government? No answer on this.
Finally, a few moments peace from idle thoughts. - third minute conclusion.

Also recorded in daily journal.
Will check the thread and follow the advice. I like the flame meditation. Flame meditations are also good will-strengthening exercises.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Meditation attempt on 'empty mind' - 3 minutes

First hurdle was sitting still in one posture - within first minute
Second was batting away idle thoughts until settling on housing as thought. - within third minute
What does it look like? Like a stereotypical gingerbread house.
How strong is your foundation? Luke 6:48-49.
How well is your kingdom governed, being governed by a government? No answer on this.
Finally, a few moments peace from idle thoughts. - third minute conclusion.

Finding the right posture is beneficial for all forms of meditation IMHO - I can't believe that anything can be gained from lolling around on a couch and listening to ambient music on the headphones while calling it 'meditation'. Whether you do visualisation exercises, pathworking or mantra chanting, it's my conviction that it's best practising while sitting upright in some posture (or standing up, that may be more appropriate for some routines, e.g. for Donald Tyson's kinetic magic). Like I said, it will take some time to find a "pleasant but firm posture" (Patanjali).

Reaction score
Awards
Since a fight with a sibling, I need meditation more than ever. I appreciate all the feedback and will try every approach.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Since a fight with a sibling, I need meditation more than ever. I appreciate all the feedback and will try every approach.
Something I've tried that helped during anxiety or panic is feeling wherever in my body is holding that anxiety/panic is imagine taking a sip of love into urself like a taking a sip of coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Ur not trying to replace the trauma, anxiety with anything else by feeling something you're not but taking a sip of something you know exists into the pain currently being felt