• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Oldie Occult Movies

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
What's an old occult film you liked that's probably nigh forgot now? There was an updated version of "The Dunwich Horror" made around 1970 that is---if anything---better than Lovecraft's slightly overdone tale. The piece has a 70's vibe to it and, in my hubristic opinion, knocks the overrated "Rosemary's Baby," from the same era, into a shat-into hat.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
better than Lovecraft's slightly overdone tale
TBH while I enjoyed it as a "so bad it's good" flick, aside from the names, I didn't feel like the film had much to do with the story. The psychedelic muppet that was supposed to be Wilbur's twin brother cracked me up. Most Lovecraft based flicks are very loose, even to the point of being ridiculous, but good enough for late night Skinemax wedged between Spidergirl and the Toxic Avenger.
From Beyond is the bestest ever, IMO. Reanimator does outdo the HPL story, but he hated that one anyway. Dagon was pretty good - Spanish flick. There is a newer Dunwich Horror with Dean Stockwell in it like the last one, but this time Jeffery Coombs as Wilbur. More of a intentional horror comedy.

But here's an oldie but goldie:
220px-BloodSatansClaw.jpg

The character Angel Blake is like the hottest evil witch ever, even with a unibrow!

This one was pretty good too. It was release under the title Burn Witch Burn! in the US.
220px-Night-of-the-eagle-poster.jpg

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
TBH while I enjoyed it as a "so bad it's good" flick, aside from the names, I didn't feel like the film had much to do with the story. The psychedelic muppet that was supposed to be Wilbur's twin brother cracked me up. Most Lovecraft based flicks are very loose, even to the point of being ridiculous, but good enough for late night Skinemax wedged between Spidergirl and the Toxic Avenger.
From Beyond is the bestest ever, IMO. Reanimator does outdo the HPL story, but he hated that one anyway. Dagon was pretty good - Spanish flick. There is a newer Dunwich Horror with Dean Stockwell in it like the last one, but this time Jeffery Coombs as Wilbur. More of a intentional horror comedy.

But here's an oldie but goldie:
220px-BloodSatansClaw.jpg

The character Angel Blake is like the hottest evil witch ever, even with a unibrow!

This one was pretty good too. It was release under the title Burn Witch Burn! in the US.
220px-Night-of-the-eagle-poster.jpg
Well, I was 12 years old when I saw the Dunwich Horror. Maybe my tastes have changed, or my memory grown mouldy and eldritch with the hideous weight of years. Then, too, there were only two TV channels in the burg where I lived and probably "Maude" was on the other channel.

Tryp

Neophyte
Reaction score
As far as oldies go, Jacques Tourneur was a master. I always specially liked The Night of the Demon (1957). Pros: the conflict between reason and occult powers, the subtle inspiration of the antagonist in figures like Aleister Crowley, the eerie scenes in the hotel hallway and the kids birthday party, the depiction of a curse... Cons: only the awkward demon puppet that Tourneur didn't want but producers forced into a couple scenes.

And another favorite of mine is Don't Look Now (Nicholas Roeg, 1973). The occult element may be more subtle, but the movie is an incredible piece of storytelling about second sight.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Night of the Demon is an excellent film :) Even the demon puppet is chilling at the end...
Also, Dana Andrews putting his wooden acting skills to their best use :D

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The ninth gate & Rosemary's baby is all I can think of at the moment.

I found the wicker man too boring but maybe I'll give it another watch.
Damn! I forgot The 9th Gate, which I loved even before I got into the occult.
The original Wicker Man (with Christopher Lee & Britt Ekland) is, by now, a bit dated. Still it's well-done withal.
Post automatically merged:

And how could I forget Roman Polanski's, "Fearless Vampire Killers." Mostly sight gags, but a good send-up of the vampire genre.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I remember buying the DVD. I know I watched it, but I'm drawing a blank on the movie.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Cmon i thought you guys were pros
The Devil Rides Out
Starring the once in a thousand years OG "thats not what a person being stabbed in the back sounds like" "You will not only lose your sanity but your soul as well" Sir madaphucking Christopher Lee
In short- a sherlockian dude with his Watson counterpart try to save a man from the grips of an evil cult, includes nifty shows of group ritual work but its real appeal is in the singular "spells" being used - the hero refuses to utter a spell, a single word, despite being in a do or die moment implying much greater fear of consequence than just death, i really appreciated that.

Second, its not an oldie but i highly suggest anyone with a taste for the occult to check out
A Dark Song (2016)
A mother seeks the help of an occultist to speak to her dead child
70% of this movie is perfect, the final one or two acts are then hijacked by the movie nerds and it becomes a let down, it is the only movie i have watched over five times (voluntarily), the larger half of the movie deals with the prep and ritual work but more importantly it touches on the operation from the human side, are you honest about what you truly want?i would add a few more questions to make it sounder cooler but less is more and differentiating what a magus wants from what he needs is a mountain of its own.

Reaction score
Awards
What's an old occult film you liked that's probably nigh forgot now? There was an updated version of "The Dunwich Horror" made around 1970 that is---if anything---better than Lovecraft's slightly overdone tale. The piece has a 70's vibe to it and, in my hubristic opinion, knocks the overrated "Rosemary's Baby," from the same era, into a shat-into hat.
Xanadu, with Olivia Newton John also singing "Magic" as well as others including "Xanadu". Poltergeist. The Exorcist. Original Children of the Corn.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Cmon i thought you guys were pros
The Devil Rides Out
Starring the once in a thousand years OG "thats not what a person being stabbed in the back sounds like" "You will not only lose your sanity but your soul as well" Sir madaphucking Christopher Lee
In short- a sherlockian dude with his Watson counterpart try to save a man from the grips of an evil cult, includes nifty shows of group ritual work but its real appeal is in the singular "spells" being used - the hero refuses to utter a spell, a single word, despite being in a do or die moment implying much greater fear of consequence than just death, i really appreciated that.

Second, its not an oldie but i highly suggest anyone with a taste for the occult to check out
A Dark Song (2016)
A mother seeks the help of an occultist to speak to her dead child
70% of this movie is perfect, the final one or two acts are then hijacked by the movie nerds and it becomes a let down, it is the only movie i have watched over five times (voluntarily), the larger half of the movie deals with the prep and ritual work but more importantly it touches on the operation from the human side, are you honest about what you truly want?i would add a few more questions to make it sounder cooler but less is more and differentiating what a magus wants from what he needs is a mountain of its own.
I forgot "The Devil Rides Out." I understand the book's author had a nasty falling-out with Alestair Crowley while researching the novel. Do you think that carried over into the film? Just a little? Maybe? Interesting flick, though the ending was lame by my flickering lights.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I seem to recall an interview claiming they had baptized a baby into some dark shenanigans during filming
I could see the main bad guy being a Crowley including his cult having some resemblance but that is just speculation on my part.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I seem to recall an interview claiming they had baptized a baby into some dark shenanigans during filming
I could see the main bad guy being a Crowley including his cult having some resemblance but that is just speculation on my part.
The villain was modeled on Crowley. (Heck, he probably considered it free publicity. He was busy passing himself off as "the most evil man in the world" in those days.)

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Or Anton LaVey who came out in 1966. I think he was an advisor for Rosemary's Baby.
That movie was a disappointment. Maybe it's because I was a just a kid when I saw it and was expecting The Devil, dude! The Devil! Instead I just saw mildly creepy neighbors and "his father's eyes." I watched it a few years back again. Older and wiser, I now rate it a definite "meh." Well-crafted meh, but milky meh nonetheless. Maybe it's Mia Farrow. Somehow, I just think the Prince of Darkness is settling for too little there. Not the right girl for him. I mean, come on. This was the same era we had Britt Eklund dancing sky-clad in the original Wicker Man. But nooooo. The Shining One settles for a mousy-mannered waif with a bad haircut.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Here is one of the, like three occult flicks i remember from around my neck of the woods.
I remember thinking how weird the women were, it's like skinwalkers pretending to be human.
The main actor carries the whole thing but since i doubt you could find it with eng subs easily you might enjoy just the trailer
certainly worth the effort if you have a night to waste.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Here is one of the, like three occult flicks i remember from around my neck of the woods.
I remember thinking how weird the women were, it's like skinwalkers pretending to be human.
The main actor carries the whole thing but since i doubt you could find it with eng subs easily you might enjoy just the trailer
certainly worth the effort if you have a night to waste.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
What's the title? I can't access You Tube from the country I live in.