• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Painting of Hell

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Painting I did last year. I found painting this relaxing so I started doing more.
sDAtDYf.jpg

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Remarkable work! Looks like the souls of the damned are blending/melting in intestinal agony into the flames, but I can also see the suggestion of demonic faces in a type of countering movement. The colors impose the them quite well. Painting this must have been cathartic.

May I ask, what medium did you use? Oils or acrylic?

The eye and tentacles remind me somewhat of the arch-demon villain from the movie John Dies at the End, if I recall it correctly. That movie was hilarious, BTW.

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for all of your kind comments!
I used acrylic paint.
Painting this was cathartic indeed!
I guess it was supposed to be like looking into hell from above, but shapes started to form so it developed as I continued.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Lots of strong and charged emotions in that picture. I liked it!
Question: Is it because you felt that way or because you want to express yourself at a certain moment in your life? Just curious.

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I was a very angry and turbulent person when I painted this, and had just realised it. I had a lot of pain within me and was taking it out on those around me. For me, this came from that pain, and as I painted I felt the release of some of that pain.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I was a very angry and turbulent person when I painted this, and had just realised it. I had a lot of pain within me and was taking it out on those around me. For me, this came from that pain, and as I painted I felt the release of some of that pain.
That's what I thought, that's why I asked. It sounds like your painting served as a therapeutic outlet for you to express and release the intense emotions you felt at that moment. Maybe you already know that art and creativity have a therapeutic goal and the power to heal your body. With this painting you were able to confront your struggle of life, allowing you, so to say, to externalize your inner emotions as a form of evidence for what you felt that moment, which later became important for you to show others how creative you are. Congratulations on your therapeutic way to heal your emotions. That's very strong, man!

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Painting I did last year. I found painting this relaxing so I started doing more.
sDAtDYf.jpg
I do not know if it is "healing." I'm more of the mind that a good many "negative" emotions have their proper uses and it is folly to simply reject them. That aside, your art is powerful and striking. Post more as you execute it.

As an aside, anyone ever see the film Jigokuhen (Shiro Toyoda, 1969)? Generally it's translated "Hell Screen," but I had a DVD of it called "Portrait of Hell." About an artist who carried out a work similar (in its way) to yours.

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Seems like a "fun" film. I hope my personal ending is a little less similair to the protagonists.

Jigokuhen (Shiro Toyoda, 1969)
Post automatically merged:

Sure, but reducing negativity can stop me from hurting myself or others. Reduction of pain or relief from pain that comes from this source is commonly called healing, and in this case it as also been preventative.

Negative emotions may indeed have their uses, just as we use shadows (within art) to illuminate the light. But this was about balance as well. Too much darkness too causes disequilibrium.