• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Resume a ritual in progress

Nobody

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Let's say I started a ritual with a candle and it was not completely consumed. Is it possible to simply relight it afterwards (say a few days later) in order to completely finish the ritual? If this ritual should take place on a particular day of the week, is it necessary to wait until that day to continue the ritual?

I would also like to ask you if it is useful to repeat the entire ritual while doing the above step or is it considered unnecessary?

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I reuse candles from time to time. Did you complete all parts of the ritual besides the candle burn? I would just let it finish. If there are other steps not done I would begin all over again. If you are supposed to burn the candle on a particular day, I would wait until that day rolls around again.

Try to allow yourself enough time in the future to have everything completed on the first run through. Planning and preparation are every bit as important as the ritual itself.

Reaction score
Awards
You could still do the ritual in the appropriate zodiacal or planetary hour. Plus what Ancient said.
When you go to snuff candles, say something like :
"Although this small flame here goes out, it shines brighter and forever in the inner planes."

Nobody

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I reuse candles from time to time. Did you complete all parts of the ritual besides the candle burn? I would just let it finish. If there are other steps not done I would begin all over again. If you are supposed to burn the candle on a particular day, I would wait until that day rolls around again.
All the steps were completed but the candle did not burn out completely. It was a special day and the time was that of the day. The ritual had to be interrupted because of an unexpected event (a visit from an outside person). In doubt, I preferred that the person did not see it and decided to put away my material, according to the instructions.

Try to allow yourself enough time in the future to have everything completed on the first run through. Planning and preparation are every bit as important as the ritual itself.
I usually work neatly and take what you mention into account. That said, the event was so timely that I unfortunately did not have the opportunity to see it. As the ritual is considered powerful and effective, I wanted to complete it according to the instructions given.
Post automatically merged:

It is therefore preferable to combine the day and time to increase the effectiveness of the ritual? Because the approaches and recommendations differ. Have you noticed a substantial difference in the results when you have practiced these two approaches?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Sorta depends on what ritual you’re doing and previous experience with whatever you’re working with, but…you should at the very least wait until the appropriate day and time.

Just going off what you said I would suggest that you start from the beginning of the ritual. But I have found (again could depend on a lot of things) is once I get started again often I’ll be promoted to shorten some previous steps or just to skip them all together. You may find that the preparatory stages are still good and that sometimes if you’re evoking, it or some part of its presence is still there making everything just move faster and much more smoothly.

*life happens

Reaction score
Awards
I have to agree, it is probably best to start over. And meditation is key, imagination is key, memorization is key, god form assumptions are key.
Whether a smoke alarm goes off for some reason, a candle tips over o (or gets knocked over just barely missing your silk robe being worn), you have to snuff early because of an interruption, life does indeed happen.
I have to agree to start over again with full preparation/planning/immersion.

Nobody

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Sorta depends on what ritual you’re doing and previous experience with whatever you’re working with, but…you should at the very least wait until the appropriate day and time.

This is the first one really done, apart from some work done around sigils for totally less usefulness compared to this one.

Just going off what you said I would suggest that you start from the beginning of the ritual. But I have found (again could depend on a lot of things) is once I get started again often I’ll be promoted to shorten some previous steps or just to skip them all together. You may find that the preparatory stages are still good and that sometimes if you’re evoking, it or some part of its presence is still there making everything just move faster and much more smoothly.

One of the problems that some practitioners face is this concern of clutter. The idea I had initially was to finish what I thought I had only started and not to "reinforce" (precisely to avoid this clutter effect). The methods and recommendations differ, I realize it - but it is also wiser to learn from more experienced practitioners.

About the presence, all I can say is that it was... interesting.

Thanks to both of you for your complementary answers.