• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Shaman Synonyms you would choose?

Someone's asking for help!

Sedim Haba

Acolyte
Joined
Jan 9, 2026
Messages
347
Reaction score
398
Awards
7
As I mentioned to another, while Shamanism is the oldest faith system of humanity,
there is no universal term for this universal Archetype. I fail to see why that is.
The very term 'Shaman' borders on cultural appropriation, seeing it originates from a single culture.
But, 'Shaman' is applied to many cultures, and is not exclusive anymore, IMHO.

Webster certainly is no help, none of the Synonyms stand out as better than others:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


No wonder, their definition is problematic, a Shaman partners with Spirit Allies to heal, not 'magic'.

( I need to make a similar thread as this, for synonyms for 'spirit', but one thing @ a time. )

Cambridge Dictionary is much better, at least in terms of definition, tho the alts are equally unappealing:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


But, still misses the mark, one does not 'control or influence' it's partnership.

So, community of wizards, what term would you use?

For someone who has no magic, no ESP, PSI, or any intrinsic magic of their own whatsoever.

(Unless you consider Autism such, I have that in abundance!)

Who gains whatever 'powers' or 'magic' by way of alliance with a non-human entity.

What say ye?
 

deci belle

Apprentice
Joined
Dec 4, 2025
Messages
75
Reaction score
119
It is the most ancient occult functionality. Shamanism is the prototypical priesthood, the basis for the earliest form of unification of peoples under a system of education of higher truth, social protocol and directive leadership by acknowledged authority, formalizing civilizations. As such, these are the products of Universal Good, not by a country.

Why not just call it shamanism? That's what it is.
 

Sedim Haba

Acolyte
Joined
Jan 9, 2026
Messages
347
Reaction score
398
Awards
7
It is the most ancient occult functionality. Shamanism is the prototypical priesthood, the basis for the earliest form of unification of peoples under a system of education of higher truth, social protocol and directive leadership by acknowledged authority, formalizing civilizations. As such, these are the products of Universal Good, not by a country.

Why not just call it shamanism? That's what it is.
Personally, I'm fine with it. But, one does get accused of 'cultural appropriation'.

I would use Hedge Witch, as that is functionally equivalent. But, gender specific, and would be even more problematic.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and here's another problem with being an outlier as far as terminology is concerned,
one I'm sure most people here have experienced at some point.

You are searching online for some obscure term for your craft, and you get hits aplenty...
but they're wikis of some game or movie or book, where the creator found that term,
and thought it'd be a really spooky or 'occulty' label for some game mechanic or something.
GOOD LUCK finding anything actually useful in that case.

It's kinda the same for Shamanism, I look for books or info or stuff, and I get stuff for an
indigenous shamanism. NOT that finding Navajo traditional teachings isn't useful or
informative, but can I actually use it? I may enjoy watching African Shamanic Zaouli
dancing, it's mesmerizing, to watch, and I can appreciate the pure athleticism, if
nothing else, but... I can't do that!
Post automatically merged:

(oh, NOW I see the problem with auto-merging, this post is HOURS later, why is it merged?
See, I can't even edit spelling mistakes in this new post, it won't let me.)

Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Post automatically merged:

( I need to make a similar thread as this, for synonyms for 'spirit', but one thing @ a time. )
I think I may have found one:

Entity

Universal, not tied to any culture or expectations. Not an alcohol term, especially!
 
Last edited:

FireBorn

Disciple
Joined
Aug 14, 2025
Messages
534
Reaction score
1,853
Awards
9
Cultural what? Let that shit die please. Such a tired thing in my opinion (im not alone). I get where people are coming from and all, but “shaman” hasn’t belonged to any one group in a long time, like a really long time. It’s been used across cultures to describe a role that transcends geography: someone who connects with spirits, mediates between worlds, and walks the margins.

Westerners love the title, hate the work. No surprise there. Everyone wants the badge, but few want the initiation.

I dont know that I would say there is no magick in Shamanism. I mean connecting with spirit isnt something that everyone can do easily. If that isnt magick, then neither is Solomonic magick, Enochian magick, any form of ritual magick right? Something to compare that thought against, you decide.

Historically, the one chosen as “shaman” wasn’t self selected. It was the sick one, the strange one, the struck by lightning one. Sounds familiar to a lot of us here, honestly. It’s not about technique. It’s about transformation.

Just my .02
 

Drakaina1313

Neophyte
Joined
Jan 10, 2026
Messages
31
Reaction score
62
Awards
1
As I mentioned to another, while Shamanism is the oldest faith system of humanity,
there is no universal term for this universal Archetype. I fail to see why that is.
The very term 'Shaman' borders on cultural appropriation, seeing it originates from a single culture.
But, 'Shaman' is applied to many cultures, and is not exclusive anymore, IMHO.

Webster certainly is no help, none of the Synonyms stand out as better than others:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


No wonder, their definition is problematic, a Shaman partners with Spirit Allies to heal, not 'magic'.

( I need to make a similar thread as this, for synonyms for 'spirit', but one thing @ a time. )

Cambridge Dictionary is much better, at least in terms of definition, tho the alts are equally unappealing:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


But, still misses the mark, one does not 'control or influence' it's partnership.

So, community of wizards, what term would you use?

For someone who has no magic, no ESP, PSI, or any intrinsic magic of their own whatsoever.

(Unless you consider Autism such, I have that in abundance!)

Who gains whatever 'powers' or 'magic' by way of alliance with a non-human entity.

What say ye?
As someone who is from a group with a closed spiritual practice, I just wanted to say that I appreciate the care and sensitivity that you're demonstrating. I don't have suggestions, but I did want to thank you for that since so many people are dismissive of it and either don't understand the reasoning behind such things or just don't care.
 

Sedim Haba

Acolyte
Joined
Jan 9, 2026
Messages
347
Reaction score
398
Awards
7
Both excellent points. I guess I will still use the term 'Shaman' and just not use the visual symbols from the Indigenous paths.

But at the same time, I can learn, adopt, and adapt from any Shamanism. I dance in Channeling, but not like THAT.
I can wear the Silver and Turquoise, but not in jewelry pieces that are obviously Native American in design.

I can't speak for others, but I have no Magick, but I have my Familiar, who has more Magick than a hundred of me ever could.

Why am I a Shaman? I think my Autism has no small part in this, but still exploring. Thank you all for your time and patience.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, sometimes the accusation of 'cultural appropriation' can be cruel. Even from witches, who you'd think would know better.

I've been called a '
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
' but I don't do this (or won't, I don't act as Healer yet, at least not for humans) for money. It's Service to my Goddess. (The Divine Feminine)
Post automatically merged:

Again, automerge sucks and messes with my post

I mean it's Service to my God and Goddess, the Divine Masculine and Divine Feminine.
Doubt I'll ever get to the point where I heal humans on a regular basis, but that's the Goal.
 
Last edited:

nunaphael

Zealot
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Messages
109
Reaction score
171
Awards
2
I believe the greco-roman term for people who practiced necromancy and shamanism in ancient times was "goes", which became "goetia" later on. So I suppose you could conjugate that as "goetician" or something like that, that that would at least phonetically and etymologically make sense. But I'm pretty sure that's just a made up word. Still, if it works, you could use that and try to make it popular by force of habit.
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
277
Reaction score
319
Awards
5
As I mentioned to another, while Shamanism is the oldest faith system of humanity,
there is no universal term for this universal Archetype. I fail to see why that is.
The very term 'Shaman' borders on cultural appropriation, seeing it originates from a single culture.
But, 'Shaman' is applied to many cultures, and is not exclusive anymore, IMHO.

Webster certainly is no help, none of the Synonyms stand out as better than others:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


No wonder, their definition is problematic, a Shaman partners with Spirit Allies to heal, not 'magic'.

( I need to make a similar thread as this, for synonyms for 'spirit', but one thing @ a time. )

Cambridge Dictionary is much better, at least in terms of definition, tho the alts are equally unappealing:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


But, still misses the mark, one does not 'control or influence' it's partnership.

So, community of wizards, what term would you use?

For someone who has no magic, no ESP, PSI, or any intrinsic magic of their own whatsoever.

(Unless you consider Autism such, I have that in abundance!)

Who gains whatever 'powers' or 'magic' by way of alliance with a non-human entity.

What say ye?
I think I’d go with -spirit partner.
I like it because it sounds more like a partnership, rather than someone controlling or using a spirit.
Spirit intermediary - works too, but sounds a bit more formal.
 

r4zorenigma

Zealot
Joined
Sep 10, 2026
Messages
130
Reaction score
115
Awards
1
I spent some time studying magick from shamanis in south america (Peru).. These people did active rituals and evoked spirits commonly , animal sacrifice very common.. sometimes ven child sacrifice. --However I found that the demons were abusing them, causing them to make parishes and churches to serve their bidding, and eventually cause a lot of bad in their socieities, towns and villages.. These same demons were also working with criminals in the villages not far from the shamans.. Nothing was good from what I saw.. I spent time with my team that I was with to banish and cast out the influence of their chief demon that they were praying to and worshipping.. to which i got physically attacked by the shaman leader and his consort.. they also tried to poison me.. Luckily the guides I was traveling with (Rosicrucians) were able to subdue and convince them that I was there to help and that they were being mislead by the demon and that it was trying to destroy them and use them all and destroy them.

Safe to say I put myself in a bit of danger on my quest to use my powers for good.. but what i prevented was huge. The parishes the demon was telling them to create were ritually abusing children/sacrificing them.. it was basically SRA-- but pretty extreme.. they would keep the skins of the children and make items and articles out of them, masks, clothing, sandals.. and the Shaman leader and his close men would wear these.. They also had a small shop where they were making toys for children and selling them. However, the toys were cursed/attached with bad spirits under the chief demon they were working with.. who was instructing everything they did.. In their eyes, they were gaining affluence and business/monetary gain.. but look at the real cost.. behind it.

So now when you see me preach against demons and these type of malevolent spirits.. You know a bit of why ..They help you but at the same time you are doing their bidding.. which is not to serve humanity in any beneficial way.. quite the opposite.

I probably should have not mentioned this part of my work... but this was what feels like an aeon ago and now I live a pretty calm societal life, just like everyone else..
 

Sedim Haba

Acolyte
Joined
Jan 9, 2026
Messages
347
Reaction score
398
Awards
7
Of course in the Spirit World, there's going to be good and evil and all shades in between just like in the Human World.

Goals and Intent and the resulting Fruit of any interaction goes both ways; Good attracts like and Evil attracts like.

Those Shaman were off on an evil path from the start, with animal sacrifice. The results were not a surprise to me.
 

Dyn Hysbys

Zealot
Joined
Mar 3, 2025
Messages
119
Reaction score
223
Awards
3
I believe the greco-roman term for people who practiced necromancy and shamanism in ancient times was "goes", which became "goetia" later on. So I suppose you could conjugate that as "goetician" or something like that, that that would at least phonetically and etymologically make sense. But I'm pretty sure that's just a made up word. Still, if it works, you could use that and try to make it popular by force of habit.
Frater Acher has a website with some brilliant writing on the Goes, and I think it's virtually synonymous with shamanism (dealing with unclean spirits, cthonic powers etc.) even including the transformation /spirit initiation of shamanism.
Worth a google.
 

Aeternus

Disciple
Joined
Mar 21, 2024
Messages
758
Reaction score
1,596
Awards
13
I would go for Herbalist. Shamans have been well known for using various herbs for a lot of potions and in their rituals, plus ayahuaska is a drink used in Shamanic rituals and is based on the Banisteriopis caapi vine and chacruna (Psychotria viridis) leaves. Needless to say it is important to recognize the fact that such usage occurs in their culture and where there is the allowance to do so and not in an illegal way.
 
Top