• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Should I start with a specific tarot deck?

Butterfly Affect

Neophyte
Reaction score
Honestly I don't really know if there's much of a difference between these. Google gives me a lot of differently designed tarots, with different themes. I've seen anime tarot cards, traditional japanese tarot cards, native american ones... I've figured that they would have the same function and the only difference would be the designs of the pictures. But I've seen people express preferences, but I could never tell if it was a preference for the designs or if it actually affected the magick done.

I'm looking a the Rider Waite deck which seems to be the most popular, and I've considered going with it but I don't know if it would make a difference compared to a Thoth deck, or anything else...

I don't have any specific spiritual beliefs or philosophies, I mostly go with "whatever works."

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I know this is gonna look like one forum buddy is patting the other in the back, but @stalkinghyena has just released one of the prettiest decks I have ever seen.

Yeah, Rider Waite works too tough. 😁

Butterfly Affect

Neophyte
Reaction score
I know this is gonna look like one forum buddy is patting the other in the back, but @stalkinghyena has just released one of the prettiest decks I have ever seen.

Yeah, Rider Waite works too tough. 😁
Wow, I didn't think an entire site would have so many tarot designs 0_0 I'm overwhelmed
I prefer the Marseille deck and the CBD version especially. The later Rider Waite is too full of obvious occult correspondences, married to a particular system.
Does that mean it can only work with a certain magic system, or can you still use it for anything?

Reaction score
Awards
Several tarot decks exist. What are you looking to do with your tarot deck? What system of magic/occult appeals to you?

Butterfly Affect

Neophyte
Reaction score
Several tarot decks exist. What are you looking to do with your tarot deck? What system of magic/occult appeals to you?
I have no set system. The closest I can think of is "chaos magick" but even that feels like applying to much of a belief set onto it.

I don't even have a lot of future plans with a tarot system. I mean, I plan to use it, just nothing too lined out. The first thing I plan to do is ask for advice, which I've already been doing with a random number generator and assigning it to cards.

Reaction score
Awards
@stalkinghyena has a deck that is fantastic, Quareia also has a "neutral" deck.
Post automatically merged:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Post automatically merged:

Other than these, any deck should do. Thoth and Rider-Waite are both excellent decks.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Wow, I didn't think an entire site would have so many tarot designs 0_0 I'm overwhelmed

Does that mean it can only work with a certain magic system, or can you still use it for anything?

People can and do use the Rider Waite for anything but the symbolism and the names/ ordering of the trumps reflect Waite’s peculiar understanding. The Marseille deck is less in-your-face, more ambiguous, and reflects the playing card origin of tarot.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly I don't really know if there's much of a difference between these. Google gives me a lot of differently designed tarots, with different themes. I've seen anime tarot cards, traditional japanese tarot cards, native american ones... I've figured that they would have the same function and the only difference would be the designs of the pictures. But I've seen people express preferences, but I could never tell if it was a preference for the designs or if it actually affected the magick done.

I'm looking a the Rider Waite deck which seems to be the most popular, and I've considered going with it but I don't know if it would make a difference compared to a Thoth deck, or anything else...

I don't have any specific spiritual beliefs or philosophies, I mostly go with "whatever works."
I'd say it's better to make a start with "what works" and tweak it later. Go with what piques your interest. The tradition I'm in calls upon one to draw his own tarot deck (subject to certain guidelines.) But---barring strong inspiration--- that is a work of a couple months at the least.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I think you're better off going with the Rider Waite - once you have a sense of how you use it and the traditional meanings, it will be much easier for you to evaluate other decks. (eg a card like, say, The Empress, has a meaning around motherhood, nurturing abundance, fertility etc. Some pop culture decks will just go "She's the Empress so we'll put the queen of our fictional world on that card" - but the queen in the fictional world is an ice queen and doesn't fit the meaning of the card at all. It's a very shallow way of illustrating based solely on the names of the cards and not the meanings)

Some decks aren't flawed but just really don't gel with you for some reason - you'll only be able to judge whether the problem is you or the deck if you have some experience with how a 'normal' deck reads for you

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I echo the idea that the Rider Waite is a really good ‘traditional’ deck to start with.

It contains a lot of imagery that will line up with most established paths.

I would suggest the Universal Waite specifically because it’s really colorful and the images almost leap off the cards when you meditate on them.

I also like Pip decks like the Tarot De Marseille and 1JJ Swiss because the way I read the cards those are better for lacking extra imagery for the pips and leaves them open for wider interpretations.

I would not recommend the Thoth deck unless you really want to get deep into Crowley and Thelema specifically.

I would actually suggest Lon Milo Duquette’s Tarot of Ceremonial Magick over the Thoth in that regard.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
...I've figured that they would have the same function and the only difference would be the designs of the pictures. But I've seen people express preferences, but I could never tell if it was a preference for the designs or if it actually affected the magick done...
The preference does go beyond the design & artistic styles, different decks use different correspondences & mythic imagery, or emphasize different aspects of the same group of meanings.

Other than that, I agree with the recommendations to start with the Rider-Waite deck - it's the first of the modern fully illustrated decks, and as such most modern decks are based on it to a greater or lesser degree, making it the closest thing to standard reference deck that we have.
Once you've used it for a while, you should have an idea of what you do and don't like about it, and whether or not another deck would suit you better.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I would suggest the Universal Waite specifically because it’s really colorful and the images almost leap off the cards when you meditate on them.
Just a shout-out to the Universal Waite. It's my "vanilla" RWS and I absolutely love it. Very true to the original but livelier and gorgeous.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Like a lot of folks I started out with RW, but this was during my nebulous teenage years of grasping confused enthusiasm mixed with the despair of not knowing what to do with anything. After I got a regular magical system practice going, Tarot became an key aspect of meditation, not just reading. The colors and design of RW lent itself well to inner journeys. I was warned off Crowley's Thoth due to complexity, so I went out and bought one anyway. I also got a Cicero deck, which had the titles, etc.

What I liked in BOT and the Circeros' was that the Minors had titles and astrological correspondences on the cards, which helped me with understanding remedial interpretation and helped me expand into other systems of work. The Thelemic aspect of BOT only came to bug me down the line when I started to realize that there was a vast world of occultism beyond what my local bookstores had in stock. The internet was just being born in those days, and cell phones looked like combat radios. Questions as to paradigm differences actually stimulated my natural tendency towards syncretism, but I did not realize until I first joined Yahoo! Groups that these could be so factional. I felt like I was late in a game I had been playing since I was kid, but I think every aspirant to the Art should have at least one knock down drag out discussion with a "purist" on the relationships between the Hebrew alphabet and the Major Arcana.

But, my blah-blahs aside, I am in the RW camp on this for a starter deck, but having a Marseilles might be easier on the senses. No reason you can't compare and take your time. A friend of mine had pointed out to me that she preferred RW because she liked the little allegorical stories that the Minors told, though she could give a fig about the astrological background, or where the deck came from. I also have sentimental reasons having more to do with the artist, Pamela Coleman Smith. Waite gave her the descriptions he wanted but she painted it with her blood. She only got a small pittance in payment, maybe a GD mission pep talk, but never saw a dime or got much credit after and died in poverty. Really, it should be called the Smith-Waite deck, but at least the publisher slips a little bio on PCM in recognition of her efforts.

Another thing that helped me out was finding Robert Wang's book Qabalistic Tarot - though it is more geared to the Golden Dawn cluster it does delve into the history behind the images and compares RW, BOT, GD and Marseilles.

I have no set system. The closest I can think of is "chaos magick" but even that feels like applying to much of a belief set onto it.
The occult can be a maze, and the Tarot itself a maze of mirrors. If your goal is to develop your vision, your intuition, then your initial preferences should be your guide. Taking a general approach with Tarot based on visual preferences first seems like a natural step. I've found the problem of identity in the occult (viz. "am I a chaote, witch, CM, LHP or RHP?") gets in the way of cultivating a basic understanding, though this is probably a necessary test of any given path (in the sense of a personal one). Some people just can't "keep it simple" and have to shoot in all directions, like me. But I would say having that "go to" deck in the process of learning, consulting it daily in a comfortable way, finding and questioning the connections within, is a good companion to have.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, Smith-Waite is probably a more appropriate way to refer to the deck.

I agree also about not letting systems confuse or entangle your intuition. I like a cool myth like anyone else, but before modern occultists decided tarot cards were the encoded secret book of Hermes-Thoth, they were playing cards which turned out to be a great tool for diviners. As Synesius said, "All things have significance for all: if birds had wisdom, they would have constructed an art for knowing the future based on observing humans, as we do by observing them."

Butterfly Affect

Neophyte
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the promoted Golden Serpent deck. I'm not sure if I should have or gone with RW after all. RW seemed like the thing most people would have at least had previous experience with.

zerosum

Neophyte
Reaction score
I always recommend the RWS to anyone just getting started since it's what the majority of other decks are based on. it's the default style essentially, and learning tarot from its source material helps a lot with learning to read other decks in general.