• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Sleep Spell from the Greek Magical Papyri (PGM) - For Insomnia

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Okay I originally was trying to post this on @pixel_fortune 's profile as a response but it was too long so I'm just creating a thread for it instead.

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum for a PGM spell but it feels in the realm of Folk Magick so here we go.

Credit goes to Alison Chicosky for finding the spell and applying it.

PGM CXXIII a 51-55 “For Sleep”

"While the complex material mentioned in some PGM spells has almost become a running joke amongst practitioners, there are also many spells that require no material or something simple like a piece of paper or a leaf.

Recently a friend mentioned that they had been sleeping poorly. I had this spell bookmarked for the next time an opportunity arose because the instructions seemed very simple. They drew the symbols and wrote the words on the bay leaf, then slept with it in their pillowcase. When I asked how they slept the next day they answered “deeply and far too long” so you may want to test this on a night where you can sleep late the next day."

PGM CXXIII a 51-55

For Sleep: on a bay leaf [write] [charakteres] ΘΑΡΑ ΘΑΡΩ

"Whole dried bay leaves are a common cooking ingredient and can be found most places spices are sold.
This spell does not seem to require any additional ritual or special ink.
Please post about your results if you try this."

Here is a screen shot of the Spell from the Betz text that shows the Special Characters

413806489-6772412636204316-3400604336209058024-n.jpg

Here is a pic of Alison's application of the spell on a Bay Laurel Leaf

403597854_732614235409815_6066405020787643139_n-scaled.jpg

A note from me - Alison translated thára tharó from the text to the Greek you see on her leaf but you could also write is as "θάρα θαρώ" or "Thara Tharo"

There you go .... a simple spell to fight insomnia.

Happy Dreaming.