• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] So What Are Are You Into?

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I was recently perusing a volume of Austin Osman Spare that I finally let drop. (Well, actually deleted.) His art, I finally aver, isn't. So who to like?
My favorite art is/are Duerer's woodcuts. I can spend an almost unpardonable span of time on "Melancholy," which teems with Hermetic symbolism and paraphernalia. Ditto for "Ritter, Tod, und Teufel," whose symbolism is more strictly Christian.

Youse guys are into what?

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
You're gonna roll your eyes but i guess if i were to pick a known name i would say William Blake
Certainly something from the romantic age. Individualism, emotion and imagination are three boxes i always check.

However what im really into is a bit of a short story, i tried to share it once but the folk in question
were more on the moronic side, so im jumping at the chance to yap about it now.
So anyway.
We will call him the guy, obviously had great introduction on account of parents and did some formal study
and for sure was talented, but he was also talented in violence - bit on the other side of the law.
He ditched art for fists and i can't say it didn't work out for him but damn how i would love if he kept painting
My house is full of both his and his dad's paintings but i only ever resonated to the guy

Most of all it's this big oil on canvas that has hidden elements, the more you look the more is revealed
a woman's face which i concluded was his mom on one corner, something i concluded to be a turtle's head on the lower corner
A tree bark with the ridges forming the flame of a candle on one side, some more easter eggs but in the center
it's like.... shapes and stuff that all form like an ethereal path towards a door formed of the similar shapes in question

I've been staring at that painting since i was a child, and when i linked the hulking figure to be the painter it shocked me
- trust me you'd never imagine that guy with a brush.
I was eyeing it for my room but had to settle for a girl he probably did as a practice run.
Whenever i do move locations i know for sure im gonna have to sneak "my" painting out no matter the cost.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
You're gonna roll your eyes but i guess if i were to pick a known name i would say William Blake
Certainly something from the romantic age. Individualism, emotion and imagination are three boxes i always check.

However what im really into is a bit of a short story, i tried to share it once but the folk in question
were more on the moronic side, so im jumping at the chance to yap about it now.
So anyway.
We will call him the guy, obviously had great introduction on account of parents and did some formal study
and for sure was talented, but he was also talented in violence - bit on the other side of the law.
He ditched art for fists and i can't say it didn't work out for him but damn how i would love if he kept painting
My house is full of both his and his dad's paintings but i only ever resonated to the guy

Most of all it's this big oil on canvas that has hidden elements, the more you look the more is revealed
a woman's face which i concluded was his mom on one corner, something i concluded to be a turtle's head on the lower corner
A tree bark with the ridges forming the flame of a candle on one side, some more easter eggs but in the center
it's like.... shapes and stuff that all form like an ethereal path towards a door formed of the similar shapes in question

I've been staring at that painting since i was a child, and when i linked the hulking figure to be the painter it shocked me
- trust me you'd never imagine that guy with a brush.
I was eyeing it for my room but had to settle for a girl he probably did as a practice run.
Whenever i do move locations i know for sure im gonna have to sneak "my" painting out no matter the cost.
Roll my eyes in admiration, mebbe. I love Blake. I haven't read him for a long whiles, but the man was a mage in both words and visual arts.
Post automatically merged:

Roll my eyes in admiration, mebbe. I love Blake. I haven't read him for a long whiles, but the man was a mage in both words and visual arts.
"Tyger, Tyger burning bright in the forest of the night..." I don't know where Blake latched onto the line, but I've seen cougars at night and "burning" is exactly the right word.

Last edited:

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
As I recall, Blake's depiction of the Tyger's eye has a triangular pupil

It may be of use to reverse the imagery and use a circle in a triangle

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
As I recall, Blake's depiction of the Tyger's eye has a triangular pupil

It may be of use to reverse the imagery and use a circle in a triangle
Good eyes (yours I mean.) I can find three images on the net. One has a very definite round pupil. BUT this might have been retouched in reproducing the image. The other two are arguably triangular (photos are not 100% clear.) Interesting to speculate on Blake's motives here.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Blake was very careful with details e.g. second human toe being longer than the big toe

So what is the functionality of the inverse - the circle/eye in the triangle?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Blake was very careful with details e.g. second human toe being longer than the big toe

So what is the functionality of the inverse - the circle/eye in the triangle?
Ok, that I do not know. You? (I'll be decorous---I am curious.)

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The functionality is obvious to some practitioners of magic. I will avoid karmic complications by leaving the details to others

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The functionality is obvious to some practitioners of magic. I will avoid karmic complications by leaving the details to others
You could just say you don't feel like talking about it. No need to drag karmic qualms into the matter. (If answering a query about Blake daunts your daring, how do you negotiate the 34 flavors at Baskin-Robbins? That's a decision tree to drive mad all the the squirrels on Yggdrasil. And every fork a potential plunge into Nifelheim. Must give you nightmares for a feverish fortnight, getting that single scoop of macadamia nut hokey-pokey, don't it?)

"The moon like a flower, Sits in Heaven's high bower, And in white-lipped fright, Stares into Karma's dark night"---Blake

mistake. ignore.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
my grandfather and several uncles were masons. their name is still on a house here: my grandparents home with my grandmothers school next to it. i inherited the love for symbolism in buildings and i expanded that to love for symbolism in general. heheeh my grandfather is whispering 'tell them you mean stone masons not those crappers who call themselves masons'. hehehe he hated them so much it even ended up in an article in the local news. he put them amongst those men who sit in front of church. my uncles told stories about people falling into quicklime and dissolving at the spot. those were the days...

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Austin Osman Spare that I finally let drop. (Well, actually deleted.) His art, I finally aver,
Was it the portrait of himself with he-man muscles and a vagina? I mean, I would understand. How about a little Rosaleen Norton? I mean, I would still understand, but you are reading Kenneth Grant, yo. The gynanders kind of go with the tangential tantrums...

i would say William Blake
Love him, but it was an acquired taste because of my "mind forged manacles". Cleansing the "doors of perception" with LSD helped a lot.

Pushead was my favorite as a kid, then I got into Giger, and that lead me to Bosch. Always like Dali but realized I had experienced nothing until seeing his big canvasses up close. I enjoy alchemical emblematic art from back in the day, always. I guess now I am wandering in and out of things, cultivating general appreciation skills - asking not so much why but how they did it?
Michael Whelan has both delighted and oppressed me - but when I read a blog by him where he was depressed, I strangely felt free.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
It was inspiring to my own efforts at oil painting, though my actual technique owes the biggest debt to Helen Van Wyk.
I'm intrigued. Do you show your work?
I've always found those painting shows on PBS humbling. Especially Bob Ross - how he could just knock out such realism in 30 minutes still gets me. Positive self torture to watch, lol.

Reaction score
Awards
Ok, that I do not know. You? (I'll be decorous---I am curious.)
Mirror for evocation.

Bob Ross paintings style. Architecture, particularly gothic and Spanish mission, Catholic stained glass and church architecture. Watercolor and acrylic painting and graphite drawing. At some point would like to try drawing comics with colored ink after development of a storyboard.

Renaissance or earlier woodcuts are cool too.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Do you show your work?
Nope! I had my work at a small gallery many years ago and sold a few paintings. My advice to aspiring painters would be to paint for the joy of it. There's no money in it for the vast majority of us. My paints and brushes often cry out to me from benign neglect...

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
My advice to aspiring painters would be to paint for the joy of it.
I agree completely.

There's no money in it for the vast majority of us.
I think you have to be chosen by the power structure or, as they said, dead, which is more common. Medieval patronage is alive and well today. I once stood in a gallery with a bunch of drunk "starving artists" and felt myself wither. So I got a real job...

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Was it the portrait of himself with he-man muscles and a vagina? I mean, I would understand. How about a little Rosaleen Norton? I mean, I would still understand, but you are reading Kenneth Grant, yo. The gynanders kind of go with the tangential tantrums...

Love him, but it was an acquired taste because of my "mind forged manacles". Cleansing the "doors of perception" with LSD helped a lot.

Pushead was my favorite as a kid, then I got into Giger, and that lead me to Bosch. Always like Dali but realized I had experienced nothing until seeing his big canvasses up close. I enjoy alchemical emblematic art from back in the day, always. I guess now I am wandering in and out of things, cultivating general appreciation skills - asking not so much why but how they did it?
Michael Whelan has both delighted and oppressed me - but when I read a blog by him where he was depressed, I strangely felt free.
That's right. I guess I asked for all this grief. Lordy, I feel like I been beat with an ol' snakewand, I do.

I agree completely.

I think you have to be chosen by the power structure or, as they said, dead, which is more common. Medieval patronage is alive and well today. I once stood in a gallery with a bunch of drunk "starving artists" and felt myself wither. So I got a real job...
For one thing, with a real job I meet a more genteel strain of drunks.

Dang, how could I forget? Peter Breughel the Elder. I swear, when I stare at his Hunters in Snow, I can feel my slush-numb feet. (And the Kunsthistorisches staff never took kindly to me thusly muddying up the carpets.)

Last edited:

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

A Spanish surrealist and initiate of the Fourth Way. Her art has strong tones of Jung, fairytales and alchemy.

eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpbSI6WyJcL2FydHdvcmtcL2ltYWdlRmlsZVwvNjJhMDkzMjY5YjZkZC5qcGciLCJyZXNpemUsMjAwMCwyMDAwIl19.e51jIcK45APhH3ZvpEpce0lmsGbCfPsfEdHCSPj50iE.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

qkvwmnu0zcd41.jpg

Nereus

Neophyte
Reaction score
I was recently perusing a volume of Austin Osman Spare that I finally let drop. (Well, actually deleted.) His art, I finally aver, isn't. So who to like?
My favorite art is/are Duerer's woodcuts. I can spend an almost unpardonable span of time on "Melancholy," which teems with Hermetic symbolism and paraphernalia. Ditto for "Ritter, Tod, und Teufel," whose symbolism is more strictly Christian.

Youse guys are into what?
Woah I didn't know about Duerer's woodcuts. Melancolia is indeed incredible.