• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Symbol/Rune carving for divination

Towndusk

Visitor
Reaction score
Hello hello hello!

I'm gathering some info about symbols and runes, and I've reached a point where I'm not sure if I do either or, so let's see if you guys may have some insight about this.

I'm trying to carve my own set of runes, a friend and I have this ongoing discussion whether it should be symbolism located for where you live, rather than what is the oldest. Big yaddy yadda about trying to use something from germanic languages in spanish land with no ancestors relating to such, (we are from Spain!). If it was for ancient, I would go straight for Futhark runes, but since this doesn't seem an apropiate option, I wonder;

Do you guys know any resource of symbolisms that could gather enough insight for the otherness to be able to comunicate back? I was wondering how much of a heretic would it make me to carve the major arcana, planets and signs together, or if it should be even more simple, and try to go for things like: Sun/Circle, Moon/Half Circle, Cross, etc..

Thanks in advance!

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
You are the authority, so if you don't have "viking blood" but like the Runes then use those. There's plenty of us who aren't Hebrew or Egyptian but still use tarot cards.
I had at one time a wicca book that gave some ideas for a set of divination stones with symbols like you said (moon, flower, water etc).

Have fun making your own.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Hello hello hello!

I'm gathering some info about symbols and runes, and I've reached a point where I'm not sure if I do either or, so let's see if you guys may have some insight about this.

I'm trying to carve my own set of runes, a friend and I have this ongoing discussion whether it should be symbolism located for where you live, rather than what is the oldest. Big yaddy yadda about trying to use something from germanic languages in spanish land with no ancestors relating to such, (we are from Spain!). If it was for ancient, I would go straight for Futhark runes, but since this doesn't seem an apropiate option, I wonder;

Do you guys know any resource of symbolisms that could gather enough insight for the otherness to be able to comunicate back? I was wondering how much of a heretic would it make me to carve the major arcana, planets and signs together, or if it should be even more simple, and try to go for things like: Sun/Circle, Moon/Half Circle, Cross, etc..

Thanks in advance!
The Germanic Visigoths settled in Spain. Kings Witiza, Rodrigo, and (maybe) Pelayo de Asturia who began La Reconquista were all Visigoth by ethnicity and culture, whatever Christian veneer was applied in thin coats. So using the traditional Runes is not so terribly out of place. They're probably "in your blood" to some degree.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
...a friend and I have this ongoing discussion whether it should be symbolism located for where you live...
Yes, you can - and should - personalize your practice to both yourself, and your locality.
It would, for example, make no sense for someone in Australia to celebrate the spring equinox on the same date as someone in Norway - they occur at different times of year, so both should localize their practice to their locality.
...trying to use something from germanic languages in spanish land with no ancestors relating to such...
Your ancestry is irrelevant.
It is perfectly acceptable to ignore the white-supremacists in Viking drag who claim otherwise.

Towndusk

Visitor
Reaction score
Thanks all for your early answers! Way faster conversation than expected! :love:

I like to see the different points of view when it comes to magic, gives me perspective and shakes away my narrowness. So far it has been clear that at its core magic is manifest intention, so any of the props are basically interchangeable at the highest levels of practice assuming you truly understand how outcomes can be influenced and the mechanisms at work -and here is where my doubts come from, since I don't really know those mechanisms (does anyone?), and I don't have the afirmation of how the "code" works through experience!-.

The hesitation to creating my own stuff comes, not as much as a racial barrier, rather than a language barrier. Feels weird to gather symbolisms that means stuff to me, and expect other entities to actually know what is all that jazz about, unless oneself is actually serving as a book for that media, this much I don't know, or maybe the reality is that you actually have to educate through the practice. If someone has an experience with some oracle or their own creations would come handy to know how it felt for them!

So far, I'm inclined to do my own set of runes, maybe I do a futhark and try to combine aspects from the tarot, saw an interesting post about that in another web, not sure if I can actually link stuff from other places or if it's a no-no rule wise. I'll probably create a different post about it and gather there my own investigations about it in case anyone seems that those runes are worthy of their time to experiment with.
Post automatically merged:

[I just learned about the 5 minute edit time...]

Notes: (In a practical example, they compare Raidho – ᚱ to The Chariot/Knight of Wands)

Anyone that wants to keep up the conversation please do so!
Much appreciated, and excuse my lack of english in case I've written so badly that is giving anyone brain melts.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, you can - and should - personalize your practice to both yourself, and your locality.
It would, for example, make no sense for someone in Australia to celebrate the spring equinox on the same date as someone in Norway - they occur at different times of year, so both should localize their practice to their locality.

Your ancestry is irrelevant.
It is perfectly acceptable to ignore the white-supremacists in Viking drag who claim otherwise.
Pride in ancestry scarcely makes one objectionable. (Depending on the ancestry. Mine is mostly Slovak. With the exception of, say, Fr. Tiso and Augustin Malar, most of the folk have been pretty much duds. I mean the national hero---Janosik---was a highwayman hanged at age 25.) If someone tells me hands off his culture, I have the basic good manners to fekk off.

Pride in ancestry scarcely makes one objectionable. (Depending on the ancestry. Mine is mostly Slovak. With the exception of, say, Fr. Tiso and Augustin Malar, most of the folk have been pretty much duds. I mean the national hero---Janosik---was a highwayman hanged at age 25.) If someone tells me hands off his culture, I have the basic good manners to fekk off.
Addendum: non-Muslims cannot enter the area of mosques reserved for salat. Does this make Muslims "Islamo-supremacists"? (Careful before you answer---Islam is big in the sub-Sahara. You don't wan't to make a reply that could be construed by any hearer as "racist.") Me, I'd say it shows Muslims have a commendable zeal for group ethos. Same with the rune purists (of which I am not one, by the by. I've moved along, thank you Al Dugin and avatar Ungern.)

Addendum: non-Muslims cannot enter the area of mosques reserved for salat. Does this make Muslims "Islamo-supremacists"? (Careful before you answer---Islam is big in the sub-Sahara. You don't wan't to make a reply that could be construed by any hearer as "racist.") Me, I'd say it shows Muslims have a commendable zeal for group ethos. Same with the rune purists (of which I am not one, by the by. I've moved along, thank you Al Dugin and avatar Ungern.)
This afternoon I ran across a quote by one Godric Liddell in a document entitled simply, "Physis."

"To work in harmony with the ethos of one's folk community and to understand its essence is the only means whereby the destiny of each individual---and their unique potential---can be realized, since the destiny of every individual is inextricably linked with their people, unfashionable as that thought is today." Anything other is LARPing, rig it out in whatever verbal drag you will.

Last edited:

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Big yaddy yadda about trying to use something from germanic languages in spanish land with no ancestors relating to such, (we are from Spain!). If it was for ancient, I would go straight for Futhark runes, but since this doesn't seem an apropiate option
If you're interested in ancestral magic, remember that large parts of Iberia, like most of Western Europe,
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

At early stages in their development, there really is less than a hair's breadth between the Celtic and Germanic peoples. I don't think you should feel at odds with using the Futhark. You might also be interested in Ogham, a specifically Celtic/Druidic letter system that can be used for divination. Michael Kelly's The Book of Ogham is a good place to start.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Pride in ancestry scarcely makes one objectionable
I never said it does.
I said that the views of white-supremacists should be ignored.
Being proud of your ancestors & folk heroes - and their achievements - does not require a person to hold white-supremacist attitudes.
...non-Muslims cannot enter the area of mosques reserved for salat. Does this make Muslims "Islamo-supremacists"?...
Islam is a religion not an ethnicity, so no - the example you have given is simply a religious rule
This afternoon I ran across a quote by one Godric Liddell...
The ex-member of the BNP who was involved with neo-Nazi folkish groups like Cox’s 'Order of the Jarls of Baelder', National Front members like Tony Wakeford, and convicted Nazi criminals like Nicky Crane.
That's a pretty good example of the kind of person whose views I will be ignoring.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: Symbol/Rune Carving for Divination
SUBTOPIC: Runes Themselves
※→ Towndusk,
et al,

The resource below is one of the finest products from any research team I have found. Although it has come down in price from a decade ago ($100+), it is still expensive ($85+). But if you are interested in making such objects, I consider it essential.

(COMMENT)

IF you are blessed with magical powers of your own → creating (
carving your own) runes THEN converting ordinary objects (for instance small rocks) into magical objects for your personal use is a ritual. The objects become infused with your capabilities through transference. The alternative is to address a supernatural power and pray for the knowledge and capacity to make the objects magic.

The symbols (runes) carved onto objects do not in and by themselves transfer some magical quality. This kind of knowledge and the prayer to acquire the knowledge dates back to a time when King Solomon and King David using (for example) the
Ars Notoria (The Notary Art of Solomon).

Principle Resources

Runic Amulets and Magic Objects, © Mindy MacLeod and Bernard Mees 2006,
First published 2006 • The Boydell Press, Woodbridge (Publication of this work was assisted by a publication grant from the University of Melbourne) •••
(Boydell & Brewer Inc. 668 Mt Hope Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620, USA)

Availability:
Link

Most Respectfully,
R

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I never said it does.
I said that the views of white-supremacists should be ignored.
Being proud of your ancestors & folk heroes - and their achievements - does not require a person to hold white-supremacist attitudes.

Islam is a religion not an ethnicity, so no - the example you have given is simply a religious rule

The ex-member of the BNP who was involved with neo-Nazi folkish groups like Cox’s 'Order of the Jarls of Baelder', National Front members like Tony Wakeford, and convicted Nazi criminals like Nicky Crane.
That's a pretty good example of the kind of person whose views I will be ignoring.
I am sure they are all properly devastated by your action.