• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

W.W.W.V.?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Or: What's With the Whiskey Voice? Really, there's a certain (very wide) stripe of "pagan" metal bands and the like who sing/chant everything sounding like your least-favorite Uncle, "Bourbon Bob," after a Sattiday night of Jack D's and Camel cancer-sticks. A sort of basso-hoarse voice. I guess that's supposed to sound like demons? You'd think the Prince of the Power of the Air could purge his pipes, no? Aesthetically it's uninspired. Like an entire three or so generations of musicians got hung up on ol' Pazuzu in the "Exorcist" and haven't budged an octave ever since. Hey, the Exorcist kid, Linda Blair is a gray-haired granny by this time. Time to move on, gang.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Damn, you are my man. Finally someone.... (sorry @stalkinghyena😁)
You might wanna read some stuff in the lounge. Youre missing out...

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Will give the lounge a closer look. What brought this on was a search for Tibetan chants on Bilibili that turned up an E.A. Koetting chant to "Summon All Powers." (Yes, that E.A. Koetting). I was struck by a "wait a Maat-furgling moment, haven't I been hearing this ever since the Great 1980's Satanist Scare?" To be fair, there were a number of female chants to Lilith and her ilk plastered in the same corner of digital space. These, though, are easier on the ear. Sort of like Stevie Nicks doing a voice-over after a Quaalude 'n hash-oil gargle.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
When it comes to metal, I'm quite fine with bands like Opeth "growling" out the lyrics in some of their songs. I'm not sure how related "whiskey voice" is to that. I get less inclined to follow music trends as I get older. On the subject of female voices in general, what's causing "fry voice"? It's that grating gurgle which most often comes out because the woman on the television seems to run out of air to finish a sentence. You'd be hard pressed to find examples of "fry voice" before the year 2000 in movies, television or radio recordings. Men do it too, but the annoying effect is not as noticeable if his voice is already deep.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
As to "whiskey voice", my initial imagined identification would be of Lemmy from Motorhead (RIP). A fifth of Jack Daniels a day makes the phrase authentic.

Aesthetically it's uninspired.
To each his own, bud. I mean, inspiration has its mysteries, but what's "aesthetic"? If there were a standard, then I would say it would be a precursor to some other standard. In both a temporal and cultural sense 60's hippy flower power music was the precursor to death metal.

But if the referent is to death metal, I can relate that I have found the devoted fans can be quite critical of singers within the genre. For instance, I mentioned to a Chris Barnes fan that I liked the new Cannibal Corpse better than the old, and he went off that it's not the same and that it sucked ass. A young Russian fellow, who wore all the gear one can imagined, including a necro-erotic T-shirt and tattoos, calmly delineated to me the standards by which death metal can be judged in its own sphere, breaking up the various sub-genres with intellectual grace. I did mention a Pazuzu movie connection, but he never heard of that, so...

And then we have:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Aesthetics, inspiration, popularization...

As to Opeth, I actually like the older stuff better with its mix of folk and grind voicings - the newer stuff has too much bass, though it's not bad.

Finally someone.... (sorry @stalkinghyena😁)
I thought this was a harem. There is no finality in a harem. But I am fine with non-exclusivity. Just got back off the "twin flame" merry-go-round again myself (comets, and such) - so don't feel bad. :cool:(y)

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
lucky you going twin with comets...i twin with old stories are sour. never ever try that for more then never:alien:
as a kid we used to have a fishcart where they sold fresh fish every week. we eat raw fish here, as we thought the inuit and japanese. the woman selling the fish is called a viswijf and thats not nice to say. a viswijf doesnt have etiquette in her speech. anyways this viswijf had a voice like louis armstrong. no whiskey just our weather...

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
When it comes to metal, I'm quite fine with bands like Opeth "growling" out the lyrics in some of their songs. I'm not sure how related "whiskey voice" is to that. I get less inclined to follow music trends as I get older. On the subject of female voices in general, what's causing "fry voice"? It's that grating gurgle which most often comes out because the woman on the television seems to run out of air to finish a sentence. You'd be hard pressed to find examples of "fry voice" before the year 2000 in movies, television or radio recordings. Men do it too, but the annoying effect is not as noticeable if his voice is already deep.
Growling can be good. But it can grow old quickly, kind of like puking in movies. Sometime around 2008 or so, I noticed that whenever the film wanted to show a character was upset, he's vomit. Where Bogart would down a shot and bang the glass on the table, Trev Birkenstock the 90's guy would just go pale and puke.
Post automatically merged:

lucky you going twin with comets...i twin with old stories are sour. never ever try that for more then never:alien:
as a kid we used to have a fishcart where they sold fresh fish every week. we eat raw fish here, as we thought the inuit and japanese. the woman selling the fish is called a viswijf and thats not nice to say. a viswijf doesnt have etiquette in her speech. anyways this viswijf had a voice like louis armstrong. no whiskey just our weather...
Viswijf---literally fish-wife, right? (In English, "wife" used to be a synonym for woman, too.) In English the term fishwife means an ill-tempered and ill-mannered woman. It's more or less archaic now, though. Too bad, it conjures up entire scenes of waterfronts and marine smells and uncouth folk.
Post automatically merged:

As to "whiskey voice", my initial imagined identification would be of Lemmy from Motorhead (RIP). A fifth of Jack Daniels a day makes the phrase authentic.

To each his own, bud. I mean, inspiration has its mysteries, but what's "aesthetic"? If there were a standard, then I would say it would be a precursor to some other standard. In both a temporal and cultural sense 60's hippy flower power music was the precursor to death metal.

But if the referent is to death metal, I can relate that I have found the devoted fans can be quite critical of singers within the genre. For instance, I mentioned to a Chris Barnes fan that I liked the new Cannibal Corpse better than the old, and he went off that it's not the same and that it sucked ass. A young Russian fellow, who wore all the gear one can imagined, including a necro-erotic T-shirt and tattoos, calmly delineated to me the standards by which death metal can be judged in its own sphere, breaking up the various sub-genres with intellectual grace. I did mention a Pazuzu movie connection, but he never heard of that, so...

And then we have:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Aesthetics, inspiration, popularization...

As to Opeth, I actually like the older stuff better with its mix of folk and grind voicings - the newer stuff has too much bass, though it's not bad.

I thought this was a harem. There is no finality in a harem. But I am fine with non-exclusivity. Just got back off the "twin flame" merry-go-round again myself (comets, and such) - so don't feel bad. :cool:(y)
Like cognoscenti everywhere, aesthetic is what I say it is. The old Bllomsbury group in England had a characterization I love for the term "good" in ethics: "A non-definable, non-natural property." Ditto for the word in question. (Which brings us next to a discussion of the term "flippant.")

Last edited: