• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] What can i do with lots of deer teeth?

Someone's asking for help!

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Necklace
bracelet
rosary
dice
anchors
rune carvings
offerings
housing
guitar picks
batteries

the list goes on and on.
in the end it should be your own idea what to use them for
weather by personal conclusion or hints from the other side
that you took them with this in mind already suggests you planned to use them
the answer, as usual is within.
in larger themes death or nature related
or spend some time thinking about what teeth,
and of deer specifically, would mean in occult capacity.
Mirror equals reflection, then teeth equals....?

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I have come into possession of like three deers worth of teeth. How? Don't ask. What am I supposed to do with all of these deer teeth?
You could make dentures for geriatric deer.

Seriously, to add to Pyrokar's fairly exhaustive list, I imagine a tooth set into a ring would have an arresting look. You could probably pair this with magickally charging the rings. Though personally I would use these as gifts. I would not sell them. If you came by the teeth hunting, it seems bad form to sell the parts. (I can get my mind around being paid to war or to assassinate; selling the results of such, though, strikes me as low.)

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Anything with speaking the Truth and Death included :)

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
guitar picks
That is a great idea, I may have a go at that if I get the chance.
Post automatically merged:

Since all my other go-to choices have already been covered, how about a 'bone-henge' style magic circle - land-wights, other spirits & the fae all go for that kinds of thing & it will work for evocation, invocation, offerings, spirit-travel & other spirit-work.
I guess using teeth might make for a fairly small circle, but I have successfully used bones from red deer in this manner before.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
That is a great idea, I may have a go at that if I get the chance.
Post automatically merged:

Since all my other go-to choices have already been covered, how about a 'bone-henge' style magic circle - land-wights, other spirits & the fae all go for that kinds of thing & it will work for evocation, invocation, offerings, spirit-travel & other spirit-work.
I guess using teeth might make for a fairly small circle, but I have successfully used bones from red deer in this manner before.
A deer has 30+ teeth, so three deers' worth should be 90+. That'd make for a fail-sized circle. The problem would be placing that many, then picking them up afterwards. I imagine one could string them on fish-line using a drilled hole in each or just Superglue. A circle of teeth actually sounds pretty cool. (One envisions an Order of Nine Angels grade test: "Make a magic circle using only teeth you have personally kicked out some magian's ass."

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Ikr crazy how ideas are passed by communication :ROFLMAO:

The circle is a good idea for someone attuned to it and i don't see why they couldn't use it multiple times,
also stumped about how the resulting energies or purposes wouldn't be in the negative spectrum
Xeno makes a point even if he didn't mean to- where and how you got the material matters,
it's probably left overs from some slaughterhouse type situation,
(in this framework, death metal shines there is a funny movie about it actually, link at the bottom)

i could see the viking-ish type witches making some use of it, but as i said there is attunement there
for anyone else it would be a dangerous aesthetic,
look at me im so cool i have a human skull is an example

if you don't plan to commit to the larger themes in place drop them all in a single offering and dispose of them after
cleanse the hell out of them. know your lane, just because we can doesn't mean we should.
worst thing i can imagine doing? anchor a spirit to it (necklace) and wait for the fun.
(actually... in this capacity they might serve as a curse to plant...if not for an offering)

this is phase one of the law of fuck around and find out is what im saying,
my initial response was to show imagination and personal input, not to support playing with fire.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
A deer has 30+ teeth, so three deers' worth should be 90+. That'd make for a fail-sized circle. The problem would be placing that many, then picking them up afterwards.
I was thinking of a permanent emplacement with about 1" between teeth (which would be about 3' diameter) - not a portable deployable circle, which in my experience work best using lengths of hefty chain with things firmly bound to them between the links.
...also stumped about how the resulting energies or purposes wouldn't be in the negative spectrum...
...worst thing i can imagine doing? anchor a spirit to it (necklace) and wait for the fun.
(actually... in this capacity they might serve as a curse to plant...if not for an offering)
I've got to disagree with that.
Death is a part of nature & a fact of life - it is not evil, or innately dangerous, it just is.
Automatically assuming symbols you associate with death are evil, negative, or only of use for cursing just sounds like thanatophobia to me.
And as for the spirit work - literally every culture in the world used animal remains in exactly that manner prior to the rise of church/temple based religions, so again, not a negative thing.
...where and how you got the material matters...
That's actually a good point, most of my animal bones come from natural deaths - commonly drowning & falls into ravines for larger animals - but yes, knowing where they are from, and how the animal died would influence whether or not I would use them, and what for.
i could see the viking-ish type witches making some use of it... for anyone else it would be a dangerous aesthetic,
Yes, I would use it - and I wouldn't consider it dangerous in any way, aesthetic or otherwise.
Plenty of people who identify as Traditional or Folk Witches use animal remains without any issue at all, as do many others from the various Animist, Heathen & Shamanic traditions.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Half of the reply is already addressed

YOU are attuned, to the entire focus. THEY could as well if they chose to focus on it long term from starting with these teeth
Don't make personal assumptions, or worse go into lecture mode as if we were at war. What works for you is not the law for everyone else
i never said death equals evil. i said influence equals risk, IF the guy has no previous experience with the theme, nor wants to start his journey on it
then a cleanse and offering will do them much more benefit than playing around, that would be the responsible thing to do across ALL traditions.
the vast majority of people would assume symbols of death are evil and negative, and we won't even mention the people who think they are fine with death but would turn into a crying shivering mess at the face of real death and decay when it's actually in front of them.

also literally every culture in the world used to do a lot of horrible, idiotic, things - so let's go shit on the streets?
some see deer as noble beasts of myth, others know them to be vermin like the pigeons, they carry some of the worst nightmare fuel viruses we can imagine, literally zombies. So let's fix that, it's not every culture in the world, it's SELECT INDIVIDUALS within those cultures.

But it's not about your tradition, neither did i insult it. Frankly it's irresponsible
to say nothing bad can happen when it obviously could, one in a million sure, but it could, Do you know the op? or any rando that finds the thread?
there are plenty of things my praxis considers normal that the average witch animist heathen and the rest of the circus to consider evil
it doesn't make it right for me to push the uninitiated into just because it worked fine for me and mine, hard to believe it even has to be said.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I didn't attack or insult you, I stated that I disagree with you & explained why - the fact that you have apparently decided to interpret that as an attack, and reply the way you have makes any further discussion with you pointless.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Automatically assuming symbols you associate with death are evil, negative, or only of use for cursing just sounds like thanatophobia to me.
this is where you presumed to tell me what i think
And as for the spirit work - literally every culture in the world used animal remains in exactly that manner prior to the rise of church/temple based religions, so again, not a negative thing.
this is where you presumed to educate me, and coincidentally ruin your own point which i didn't want to mention at first
because the entire known world came together in arms to eradicate exactly parts of those cultures declaring them as evil and demonic.
often times by their own cultures.

Yes, I would use it - and I wouldn't consider it dangerous in any way, aesthetic or otherwise.
Plenty of people who identify as Traditional or Folk Witches use animal remains without any issue at all, as do many others from the various Animist, Heathen & Shamanic traditions.
this is where you decided to be passive aggressive even though what i said, you agreed to be the case, probably because
you felt prissy and defensive of your practice just because i pointed out it's not for everyone.

your entire formula is "a lot of people dont think it's bad, a lot of people did it" which is easily rebuked by a "lot of people did think its bad."

i don't care about your presumptions, the crux of our conversation is about you and your witchcraft but the purpose of the thread is not
that i only stated "witches are more attuned for this" and "i could see witches making use of them like this"
as well as "probably best op does not play with things that are outside of his own game/beliefs" did not earn me
or deserve to be retorted with a paragraph of "In defense of my beliefs- A treatise against ignorant oppressors"

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
and yet here we are. discussing
Sheltered white women talking about death
have you ever killed what you eat? hunted down prey?
Can you smack a pig on the head with a hammer until it stops and waits for you to slit its throat, hang it upside down
and wait for the blood to drain without a blink?
can you grab a chicken out of its coop, behead it pull its feathers and gut its intestines?

its natural isnt it?
actually it's the only real way to procure bone and earn to use them,
or do you go roaming the woods looking for carrion and roadkill? even that i can respect, although i would doubt it happened.

i certainly can't do that. i can't even watch or listen to it happen.
so if you can or did those things i humbly beg for forgiveness.
if not kindly stop responding and fighting for the last word, it's juvenile.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
If this were a face-to-face thread, one envisions teeth being lost at this juncture.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Really, again with the personal attacks, well putting aside the fact that an ad hominem (attack the person not the argument) is an admission that you don't have anything relevant left to say, lets see how much Ass you've just put into those 'sheltered white woman' assumptions:

I grew up in a very rural area, so I was helping out in the kitchen butchering animals from a young age, and yes I have fished, trapped & hunted wild game, slaughtered livestock, and put down badly injured & suffering livestock, roadkill & pets.

I have bled, skinned, dressed, butchered & eaten all kinds of game, including: fish, rabbits, squirrels, marmots, wild boar, lambs, goats, deer, duck, geese, wood pigeon, pheasant and grouse. I have also brain-tanned a few hides - mostly rabbit, fox and deer.

I never got the hang of slaughter hammers, my go-to's for livestock were bolt guns & pig-stickers.

Yes hunting, fishing & trapping are all entirely natural, and bring you closer to nature.
There's just nothing like getting out into nature and living off the land for while - sleeping in a shelter you've made, near a fire you've lit, with a belly full of food you've gathered.

No I don't go out specifically looking for carrion & roadkill, I got out into nature as often as possible & collect anything interesting or useful that I found - my foraging trips were usually specifically for fruits, nuts & mushrooms, but any interesting plants, timber, rocks, shells or animal remains I found would be gathered up as well.
Roadkill isn't actually a good source of animal remains for magic - quick kills are usually small animals that have been crushed beyond any use, while injured animals - the ones that can limp or drag themselves off the road - tend to die pretty horrible & painful deaths from starvation &/or infection, I have, and still would, end their suffering, but I wouldn't use their remains for anything.

While age & infirmity may have robbed me of the opportunity to keep much of this as a regular part of my lifestyle, but I do still try to put my skills and knowledge to use when possible.
Apology accepted.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Sheltered white women talking about death
This isn’t very ninja-like of you. You could have made your points without resorting to an attack/insult/ad hominem.

have you ever killed what you eat? hunted down prey?
Can you smack a pig on the head with a hammer until it stops and waits for you to slit its throat, hang it upside down
and wait for the blood to drain without a blink?
can you grab a chicken out of its coop, behead it pull its feathers and gut its intestines?

its natural isnt it?
actually it's the only real way to procure bone and earn to use them,
or do you go roaming the woods looking for carrion and roadkill? even that i can respect, although i would doubt it happened.

i certainly can't do that. i can't even watch or listen to it happen.
if not kindly stop responding and fighting for the last word, it's juvenile.
You’d be surprised how many people in modern times aren’t sheltered and grew up with stuff like this.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
hey in this case im glad to be proven wrong. truly.
all power to you.
i am an asshole but im not a coward, formal apologies to Rowena.

But to say you haven't been asking for the smoke starting this is a straight up lie.
I apologize for my attack and conduct.
that does not make you infallible or correct in other terms.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Really, again with the personal attacks, well putting aside the fact that an ad hominem (attack the person not the argument) is an admission that you don't have anything relevant left to say, lets see how much Ass you've just put into those 'sheltered white woman' assumptions:

I grew up in a very rural area, so I was helping out in the kitchen butchering animals from a young age, and yes I have fished, trapped & hunted wild game, slaughtered livestock, and put down badly injured & suffering livestock, roadkill & pets.

I have bled, skinned, dressed, butchered & eaten all kinds of game, including: fish, rabbits, squirrels, marmots, wild boar, lambs, goats, deer, duck, geese, wood pigeon, pheasant and grouse. I have also brain-tanned a few hides - mostly rabbit, fox and deer.

I never got the hang of slaughter hammers, my go-to's for livestock were bolt guns & pig-stickers.

Yes hunting, fishing & trapping are all entirely natural, and bring you closer to nature.
There's just nothing like getting out into nature and living off the land for while - sleeping in a shelter you've made, near a fire you've lit, with a belly full of food you've gathered.

No I don't go out specifically looking for carrion & roadkill, I got out into nature as often as possible & collect anything interesting or useful that I found - my foraging trips were usually specifically for fruits, nuts & mushrooms, but any interesting plants, timber, rocks, shells or animal remains I found would be gathered up as well.
Roadkill isn't actually a good source of animal remains for magic - quick kills are usually small animals that have been crushed beyond any use, while injured animals - the ones that can limp or drag themselves off the road - tend to die pretty horrible & painful deaths from starvation &/or infection, I have, and still would, end their suffering, but I wouldn't use their remains for anything.

While age & infirmity may have robbed me of the opportunity to keep much of this as a regular part of my lifestyle, but I do still try to put my skills and knowledge to use when possible.

Apology accepted.
This is a good juncture to insert a point I made rather obscurely earlier. If someone hunts and kills the animal whose teeth he uses, that makes a big difference to any magickal workings done with the parts, I reckon. I'd go so far as to say that modern hunters with high-powered rifles and scopes that let you shoot critters in the next county are going to be magickally less efficacious than the guy with a bow or un-scoped handgun. (Not that many hunters are into magick anyway.) Unfortunately, by the time I got around to an interest in atlatls I was living in a country that has no legal hunting.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If someone hunts and kills the animal whose teeth he uses, that makes a big difference to any magickal workings done with the parts...
I'd say that's true for any materials - grow those herbs, cut that timber, gather those seashells, and when you're got them - carve that wand, sculpt that statue, blend that incense.
For me, I've always just worked better with things I've gathered or made myself. Putting in the time, the thought, and the effort just seems to work better for me.