• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Where I get cheap, smallish gemstones.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
So, one thing that I frequently find upsetting and otherwise bothersome is the acquisition of gems for use in magic.

I'm a cheapass bastard, but moreover it's hard to find gemstones that haven't touched some awfulness in their provenance.

Now, I'm always open to the presentation of new sources, but my favorite two are
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
and

Gem Mountain is a sapphire mine out in Montana. It is the only sapphire mine I know of which does not "salt" the ore they ship you. They just scoop shovelfuls of gravel from their site into a box until it's full of dirt.

Washing it all takes a couple hours and a few buckets, and some classification screens. The stones this yields are anywhere from ruby red to blue, to teal, and are about as clear as the clearest you can find on the open market.

The second place I get gems is actually a smoke shop. Enterprising stoner's figured out some cool physics involving thermophobia, and started using temperature-tolerant materials as nucleation points and such.

So there ends up being a good source for rubies anywhere up to 11mm, ruby bars, sapphire bars and spheres of various sizes, and in all sorts of colors, star sapphires, opals, and handmade glass beads.

They're all in the 3-20 dollar range for various stone types, granted you're gonna have to cut and lap them yourself to cab them.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
So, I took a bunch of pictures of process involving washing and mining gemstone ore.

Posted in rough time order, though I think the tools shown combined with the intelligence of the onlooker can put together the pieces...

auza121

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
very cool man, ive been watching alot of gold-panning/gem mining on youtube they use a similar process for raw material( sorry for the late response btw saw this as a synchronicity

Reaction score
Awards
So, one thing that I frequently find upsetting and otherwise bothersome is the acquisition of gems for use in magic.

I'm a cheapass bastard, but moreover it's hard to find gemstones that haven't touched some awfulness in their provenance.

Now, I'm always open to the presentation of new sources, but my favorite two are
and

Gem Mountain is a sapphire mine out in Montana. It is the only sapphire mine I know of which does not "salt" the ore they ship you. They just scoop shovelfuls of gravel from their site into a box until it's full of dirt.

Washing it all takes a couple hours and a few buckets, and some classification screens. The stones this yields are anywhere from ruby red to blue, to teal, and are about as clear as the clearest you can find on the open market.

The second place I get gems is actually a smoke shop. Enterprising stoner's figured out some cool physics involving thermophobia, and started using temperature-tolerant materials as nucleation points and such.

So there ends up being a good source for rubies anywhere up to 11mm, ruby bars, sapphire bars and spheres of various sizes, and in all sorts of colors, star sapphires, opals, and handmade glass beads.

They're all in the 3-20 dollar range for various stone types, granted you're gonna have to cut and lap them yourself to cab them.
Nice, thanks, will check them out -- Id like to try to get gemstones and a lion skin for the breastplate with the twelve stones on it.
I am not sure if its Solomonic, but might as well get ahead of the curve on that one.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If you are looking for stones with energy, you do not need gems.

When I am walking on natural pebbles (beach, creek, path) I look at the stones as I walk over them. If any look back at me, I examine their energy and if good, the stone goes in my pocket

Basically I am looking for stones with a positive elemental attached. I do not need the stones to be shiny