• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Which form of divination you have found the most useful

Everyone's got one.

azazel6672

Neophyte
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Messages
21
Reaction score
7
This is not so much a query per se rather than asking for an opinion. While I have tried horary astrology myself I am yet to study in depth other forms of divination like tarot. Wanted to ask the esteemed members of this group what your preferred modes of divination are and why. Do you prefer astrology, tarot, scrying, runes, I Ching or geomancy?
 

ewiz

Zealot
Joined
Mar 3, 2024
Messages
141
Reaction score
228
Awards
2
I do lots of different things guided by whatever inspires me at that moment, but I often lean towards I Ching and Tarot. I Ching is what I would usually recommend someone learn when they are first starting out, it's very simple to do and the interpretations are very clear. With Tarot there's a little more of a learning/experience curve before you can reliably interpret your given spread, but it also allows for more complexity. I Ching is very good at telling you the current state of things, exactly what's going on right now and how that can affect your potential outcomes. Tarot is very good at telling you what might happen along the way following certain choices. These systems work well alone or in combination with one another, as do most others. It's best, imo, to choose the system you feel most drawn to and work with it constantly until you feel very comfortable with it, then continue trying more out. You may find I Ching's restrictions appealing in practice coming from a background with astrology, or you may find that you prefer something more free to interpretation like runes.
 

mikastophiel

Neophyte
Joined
Jun 28, 2026
Messages
9
Reaction score
6
I love using tarot with the Kabbalah, as the latter really opens up the former in a bunch of interesting ways. I find that tarot has a sort of conversational quality that makes it very easy to work with so long as you ask the right sort of questions, somewhat like a collaborative storytelling x psychoanalysis session, and as you develop a deeper understanding of the system itself you'll be able to interpret a reading not just on a card-by-card level but as a whole, in parts, with an eye for layout and composition, etc. Conveniently, there are a lot of good books on the matter as well (Rachel Pollack's is my personal favorite that I've read so far).
 

RobCorvid

Neophyte
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Messages
34
Reaction score
43
Useful? Probably the pendulum because of it's ease, and portablility. My favorite that I've experimented with, and found very useful although not as portable, is geomancy.
 

ewiz

Zealot
Joined
Mar 3, 2024
Messages
141
Reaction score
228
Awards
2
Useful? Probably the pendulum because of it's ease, and portablility. My favorite that I've experimented with, and found very useful although not as portable, is geomancy.
There's a fairly quick and portable method you can use to produce a geomantic figure with a drawing app on your phone. Concentrate on your question, then make 4 rows of random dots, just move from one row to the next as your intuition guides you, without counting the dots. Then once they've all been placed down, add up the dots for each row to produce either a 1 (odd) or a 2 (even), giving you your figure. Something like this would be good for a yes/no sort of reading. Not quite as fast as a pendulum, but it produces a bit more information, and we usually carry our phones even when we don't have our pendulums.
 

Oceanic

Neophyte
Joined
Sep 27, 2026
Messages
23
Reaction score
18
I like using the pendulum. I ask for my spirit guides to answer, set the parameters for yes and no replies as well as don't know. As long as I ask precisely worded questions, the answers come quickly and definitely through. I've not attempted tarot cards etc., the pendulum has been great for me as a beginner.
 

RobCorvid

Neophyte
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Messages
34
Reaction score
43
There's a fairly quick and portable method you can use to produce a geomantic figure with a drawing app on your phone. Concentrate on your question, then make 4 rows of random dots, just move from one row to the next as your intuition guides you, without counting the dots. Then once they've all been placed down, add up the dots for each row to produce either a 1 (odd) or a 2 (even), giving you your figure.
A very 21st century version of randomly poking a stick in the sand! Cool. 😃
Post automatically merged:

As long as I ask precisely worded questions, the answers come quickly and definitely through. I've not attempted tarot cards etc., the pendulum has been great for me as a beginner.
That's definitely the trick to any method of divination: getting the question right. It can be challenging when your only answer is yes/no/unclear. At least having only those options forces you to simplify the question.

The more complex your divination method the more convoluted and offtrack your reading will be if the question is poorly formed.
 
Last edited:

kakkoi

Visitor
Joined
Sep 6, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
5
It really depends of your goal, Sibilla is mostly optimal for practicaland daily issues, Traditional Tarot is more psychological, abstract, i Ching for understand what to do and etc.
 

kazanagifire

Neophyte
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
10
When it comes to divination, I place more importance on the purpose for which it is used than on the specific tools or methods employed.
For instance, I often use divination to support magic aimed at manifesting desires. After performing a manifestation ritual, I consult the cards to determine the best course of action to take at that moment to bring the desire to fruition, and then I act on that guidance.
In this scenario, since I have already infused the manifestation ritual with sufficient power, there is little need for elaborate or complex divination techniques.
In fact, I simply draw two or three cards from a basic Lenormand deck—the kind you can pick up on Amazon for about five dollars—and interpret them intuitively; that alone proves highly effective.
 

frater_pan

Zealot
Joined
Mar 31, 2025
Messages
124
Reaction score
157
Awards
2
When I was a kid it was dreams (although this is technically not divination).

Now the pendulum, Tarot and the I Ching.
 

azazel6672

Neophyte
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Messages
21
Reaction score
7
When it comes to divination, I place more importance on the purpose for which it is used than on the specific tools or methods employed.
For instance, I often use divination to support magic aimed at manifesting desires. After performing a manifestation ritual, I consult the cards to determine the best course of action to take at that moment to bring the desire to fruition, and then I act on that guidance.
In this scenario, since I have already infused the manifestation ritual with sufficient power, there is little need for elaborate or complex divination techniques.
In fact, I simply draw two or three cards from a basic Lenormand deck—the kind you can pick up on Amazon for about five dollars—and interpret them intuitively; that alone proves highly effective.
this is quite informative, thanks!
 
Top