• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Why are demons kind and helpful to some people but not to others?

Shaman

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I wanted to know why some peoples experiences with demons are suberb and demons treating them kindly. While others I have seen contacting them demons like Andras but being met with disappointment and negativity.

Solution
I wanted to know why some peoples experiences with demons are suberb and demons treating them kindly. While others I have seen contacting them demons like Andras but being met with disappointment and negativity.
Aleister Crowley wrote in his version of the conjurations in the Lesser Key (something like) "come now you, or if you are not able then send one of the spirits who are under you".

So it might be that not every conjurer (or the goal) is important enough for the head demon to appear, and then an unknown lesser spirit from one of the legions is sent to represent him. Just like when you reach out to McDonalds with a question you will (first) get an anonymous callcenter agent...

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Aleister Crowley wrote in his version of the conjurations in the Lesser Key (something like) "come now you, or if you are not able then send one of the spirits who are under you".

So it might be that not every conjurer (or the goal) is important enough for the head demon to appear, and then an unknown lesser spirit from one of the legions is sent to represent him. Just like when you reach out to McDonalds with a question you will (first) get an anonymous callcenter agent. These "employees" all work for / represent / are the head demon. But maybe, just as with human employees, their characters and skill levels might vary to an extent.

At least that seems like a logical explanation to me

Solution

Shaman

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards

So it might be that not every conjurer (or the goal) is important enough for the head demon to appear, and then an unknown lesser spirit from one of the legions is sent to represent him. Just like when you reach out to McDonalds with a question you will (first) get an anonymous callcenter agent. These "employees" all work for / represent / are the head demon. But maybe, just as with human employees, their characters and skill levels might vary to an extent.

At least that seems like a logical explanation to me
Interesting, I always had a rule not to call on spirits for trivial matters. Not because I fear them but I respect their authority, I really only want to call them when there's something huge happening.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Because everyone’s Ego and Psyche are different and everyone has different sets of Traumas and Vices to deal with.

So hypothetically two people could evoke Byleth for matters of relationships and have two completely different experiences.

One might have major trauma with relationships and have to go through many trials and crucibles with Byleth to slay that problem.

Another might not need such hard work and have an easier experience with Byleth.

But as stated above the manor in which the Practitioner approaches the Demon colors the experience as well.

If you don’t really know what your doing and lack confidence or lack respect towards the Spirit one might get their ass handed to them with a swiftness.

But if you know what your doing and project confidence and possess the appropriate bonafides then the experience is likely to go a bit smoother though also not guaranteed.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Good question. I believe that demons who are angry feel easily that the performer who called them is not well prepared and the demon feels there uncertain and unsecurity from the performer. That's why most of the books advise you that when you perform conjuration you have to be very firm with yourself but also respectful and self-confident with yourself. Other way the demon will test you and will scare you. Sometimes has to do with your emotions during the conjuration.

Caliban

Neophyte
Reaction score
Projection, expectations, and manners.

I treat all spirits with courtesy, and susceptible spirits with flattery.

I proceed with confidence but without hubris.

I have had some unfiltered experiences working with more primordial or base forces, but never an adversarial one, except for a particular angry shade who was aimed at me by a crazy granny woman who knew her stuff and whom I had accidentally offended. Never from anything I have ever called up, myself.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
"As above, so below"

This alchemical axiom has numerous connotations and one of them fits here, IMO. Just as humans have varied temperaments, attitudes, expressions, etc, so too do spirits.

neilwilkes

Apprentice
Reaction score
Can you please define what you mean by a 'Demon'?
Bear in mind that Dee's term 'Spiritual Creatures' is much more appropriate, as both the Vulgate & Septuagint versions of the Bible made many distinctions between the different types of Spiritual Creature and with the introduction of the English - and especially the King James version - they were all of them translated the word 'Daimon' and 'Diabolos' as 'Demon' or 'Devil' when it means nothing of the sort, with the root word 'Daio' really meaning 'to distribute fortune' - Well done, King James! He also caused the biggest wave of persecutions in England as well.......
(with thanks to the introduction by Stephen Skinner in his superb 'Practical Angel Magic' book, which I highly recommend. (volume 1 in his 'Sourceworks of Ceremonial Magic' series)#

So in answer to your original question, I think the answer is probably along the lines of not all 'Demons' are actually Demonic - a large number of them have had their attributes edited by modern religion - think Ashtoreth (Astaroth) & her consort, Baal - Ashtoreth was originally the Phonecian goddess of Love & Increase until she was demonized (literally) in Grimoires such as the Goetia.....

Shaman

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Can you please define what you mean by a 'Demon'?
Bear in mind that Dee's term 'Spiritual Creatures' is much more appropriate, as both the Vulgate & Septuagint versions of the Bible made many distinctions between the different types of Spiritual Creature and with the introduction of the English - and especially the King James version - they were all of them translated the word 'Daimon' and 'Diabolos' as 'Demon' or 'Devil' when it means nothing of the sort, with the root word 'Daio' really meaning 'to distribute fortune' - Well done, King James! He also caused the biggest wave of persecutions in England as well.......
(with thanks to the introduction by Stephen Skinner in his superb 'Practical Angel Magic' book, which I highly recommend. (volume 1 in his 'Sourceworks of Ceremonial Magic' series)#

So in answer to your original question, I think the answer is probably along the lines of not all 'Demons' are actually Demonic - a large number of them have had their attributes edited by modern religion - think Ashtoreth (Astaroth) & her consort, Baal - Ashtoreth was originally the Phonecian goddess of Love & Increase until she was demonized (literally) in Grimoires such as the Goetia.....
I got no idea, by demon I mean like those from the goetia or qliphoth. Essentially "darker beings" who were demonized in whatever way. I also think demons are being who are associated with more ruthless stuff like childhood death or cursing. I will definitely check out those books, thanks.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
"As above, so below"

This alchemical axiom has numerous connotations and one of them fits here, IMO. Just as humans have varied temperaments, attitudes, expressions, etc, so too do spirits.
Indeed but we should not forget that the famous king Solomon summoned all these demons no matter whether their temperaments were good or bad.

Blackrose00

Apprentice
Reaction score
I think I can explain it like this
like people, they have good and bad
Even if you meet a good one, you can't know that he won't hurt you.

The answer to this question may be to determine which one will come to you in terms of desire and compatibility.
because we can't distinguish between good and evil, maybe it's because he just wants to be good and not hurt you.