• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Your favorite decks?

Everyone's got one.

Lila

Neophyte
Reaction score
Howdy folks!

I'm curious. Those of you who use card decks as a tool in your magical workings, what are your favorite non-tarot decks to use?

I am compulsively honest so I have to tell you I have two, but I made an ethical decision never to share the information about one of them. The other one I have that I find incredibly helpful is the Liminal Spirits deck (more info
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
). It suits my inner workings beautifully.

Note: I'm specifically asking about non-Tarot decks because a) Tarot seems to dislike me personally, and b) because there are already thousands of those.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I made one once with the illustrations of the Dance of Death by Hans Holbein (1523-1525) and translated parts of the poem der Todtentanz (dance of death) by Ludwig Bechstein (1831).
These are based on the Plague and seemed relevant (made it during the covid) but it's kinda gloomy (shocker..)

Recently I also bought a shamanistic deck by Nicholas Breeze Wood.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
A few weeks ago I realized I have a ton of 4x6 photo paper and a vast store of symbolic art and sigils that I thought would be interesting to make into a kind of "meditation deck". I started out with Splendor Solis and some Sephirothic and Kameothic patterns. Got Solomonic talismans and the like planned. I had to laminate them though because the paper is too thin - I think it's 5 mil when a proper card should be 12 mil? Anyways, the lamination works great for me because now the images are virtually indestructible, Eventually I hope to have a mountain of these cards which I can randomize for contemplation chains.

I am going to throw the Dance of Death in for good measure (gloomy works for me, lol). Definitely would go great with Durher and Dore.

Lila

Neophyte
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I realized I have a ton of 4x6 photo paper and a vast store of symbolic art and sigils that I thought would be interesting to make into a kind of "meditation deck". I started out with Splendor Solis and some Sephirothic and Kameothic patterns. Got Solomonic talismans and the like planned. I had to laminate them though because the paper is too thin - I think it's 5 mil when a proper card should be 12 mil? Anyways, the lamination works great for me because now the images are virtually indestructible, Eventually I hope to have a mountain of these cards which I can randomize for contemplation chains.

I am going to throw the Dance of Death in for good measure (gloomy works for me, lol). Definitely would go great with Durher and Dore.
I am making my own divination tool, but I'm using wood rounds and painting on them. It's just things that have deep symbolism in my own life, so it's about me talking to me, as it were

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I am making my own divination tool, but I'm using wood rounds and painting on them. It's just things that have deep symbolism in my own life, so it's about me talking to me, as it were
Makes good sense, if one considers divinations as a kind of "mirror of the soul." A more direct tool for "Gnothi Sauton."

Reaction score
Awards
Howdy folks!

I'm curious. Those of you who use card decks as a tool in your magical workings, what are your favorite non-tarot decks to use?

I am compulsively honest so I have to tell you I have two, but I made an ethical decision never to share the information about one of them. The other one I have that I find incredibly helpful is the Liminal Spirits deck (more info

Note: I'm specifically asking about non-Tarot decks because a) Tarot seems to dislike me personally, and b) because there are already thousands of those.
A standard deck of bicycle playing cards. I’ve been using my current deck for 5-6 years now.

(I use tarot or card based systems off and on but not my go to divination style.)

-Eld

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I made one once with the illustrations of the Dance of Death by Hans Holbein (1523-1525) and translated parts of the poem der Todtentanz (dance of death) by Ludwig Bechstein (1831).
These are based on the Plague and seemed relevant (made it during the covid) but it's kinda gloomy (shocker..)

Recently I also bought a shamanistic deck by Nicholas Breeze Wood.
Is it private? Or is it posted online anywhere? I have a real liking for Holbein (in homeopathic doses.)

COVID's "Totentanz" was standing in the queue to get the daily swab. Call it the "Der langweilige Walzer."

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Is it private? Or is it posted online anywhere? I have a real liking for Holbein (in homeopathic doses.)

COVID's "Totentanz" was standing in the queue to get the daily swab. Call it the "Der langweilige Walzer."
I printed the 49 images on thick paper, laminated them and made a little booklet with the translated (parts of the) poem so as far as I know there's only one of it.
At the time I was really enthusiastic and thought the world would like the deck and I sent an email to a publisher. They didn't bother to respond or even click the link I had sent.
I'll put a file back up with all of it and post it here to download this week so you can make your own set.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
At the time I was really enthusiastic and thought the world would like the deck and I sent an email to a publisher. They didn't bother to respond or even click the link I had sent.
Have you tried The Game Crafter? I have found it satisfactory for now for my limited aims.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I printed the 49 images on thick paper, laminated them and made a little booklet with the translated (parts of the) poem so as far as I know there's only one of it.
I'll put a file back up with all of it and post it here to download this week so you can make your own set.
Mil gracias! If you think the deck is a good one, maybe shop it around to a few other publishers.
Post automatically merged:

Spare's "Zoetic Grimoire of Zos" has some interesting hints as to how one can work a deck of common playing cards into a highly personalized oracle. This has ties in with the emotional alphabet (sic?) he talks about in (I think) the "Book of Pleasure." He notes, though, that working up one's own deck can take 6 months or so. Which might be worth it.

Last edited:

Catmayn

Neophyte
Reaction score
i use a classic rider deck for my readings, just because that is what i learned with.
but i have a very cute adventure time deck and a cat deck (of course)

sorry i didnt read the op properly, ive used a classic deck of cards, that works really well but ive not tried other decks really

Reaction score
Awards
For readings, I usually use RW. Occasionally I've used the Thoth. Only two decks I have, though I've used a few others in my time.
RW is pretty universal in meaning, which is nice.
Post automatically merged:

Howdy folks!

Oh. Angel Blessings was the name of the Oracle deck I believe. I also had a shamanistic animal deck at one point that got dog eared quickly. Compact deck at that.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I have an Oracle deck, that is so beautiful. I don't remember the name of the deck at the moment. But, it has to do with Raising your vibrations. It is so beautiful.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I have a few Oracle Decks that I sometimes like to use for Clarifiers.

1) Queen of the Moon Oracle
2) Magick of You Oracle
3) The Shaman’s Dream Oracle
4) The Elemental Oracle