- Joined
- Sep 9, 2023
- Messages
- 189
- Reaction score
- 316
- Awards
- 3
I often see people throw this word (and related terms) around in conversation as though it has a single, straightforward meaning. As the conversation proceeds, the participants seem to think that they are talking about the same thing, but to me it is unclear that they are.
Originally, "initiation" referred to one's induction into a specific body of rites (such as one of the greek mystery cults) or a secret society. As such it was inherently tied up with the specifics of the relevant rites and one's social positioning. While the term is still used that ways at times, it has also acquired a broadened meaning, to refer to a inner transition involved in a non-specific, personal, or perhaps universal spiritual path. Personally, I'm rather conflicted on the notion of a universal spiritual path. As someone who has explored a number of different paths to some level of depth and experience, I can see a lot of commonalities and I often rankle at the trendy and superficial academic fixation on verbal differences, unable to see past outer forms to appreciate the heart of the matter. On the other hand, I'm also aware of significant real differences in the experiential nature of these paths and even somewhat their goals. Additionally, I have a concern that many people mistake what I would consider personal, psychological shifts (either positive or negative) for something of metaphysical import deserving of the name 'initiation.'
In a sense, the specific term "initiation" is just a jumping off point for a wider conversation, in which we seek to determine whether we actually know what we're talking about and to draw out some of the different ideas that may be lurking in our minds about the spiritual path which are often glossed over when we too readily imagine that our path is a universal path.
Originally, "initiation" referred to one's induction into a specific body of rites (such as one of the greek mystery cults) or a secret society. As such it was inherently tied up with the specifics of the relevant rites and one's social positioning. While the term is still used that ways at times, it has also acquired a broadened meaning, to refer to a inner transition involved in a non-specific, personal, or perhaps universal spiritual path. Personally, I'm rather conflicted on the notion of a universal spiritual path. As someone who has explored a number of different paths to some level of depth and experience, I can see a lot of commonalities and I often rankle at the trendy and superficial academic fixation on verbal differences, unable to see past outer forms to appreciate the heart of the matter. On the other hand, I'm also aware of significant real differences in the experiential nature of these paths and even somewhat their goals. Additionally, I have a concern that many people mistake what I would consider personal, psychological shifts (either positive or negative) for something of metaphysical import deserving of the name 'initiation.'
In a sense, the specific term "initiation" is just a jumping off point for a wider conversation, in which we seek to determine whether we actually know what we're talking about and to draw out some of the different ideas that may be lurking in our minds about the spiritual path which are often glossed over when we too readily imagine that our path is a universal path.