• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Karma exists, and it doesn't matter.

Everyone's got one.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Premise one: Karma is the chain of effects linking deeds of "past" and "future" with the "present" moment.

Premise two: Linear time does not exist as perceived by the incarnated human mind.

Premise three: Causality is not the simplistic model of physics, which is the only model accepted by mainstream materialistic science.

Conclusion: Attempts to "balance" karma are futile in planes of duality. Therefore karma doesn't matter.

Thoughts?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Premise one: Karma is the chain of effects linking deeds of "past" and "future" with the "present" moment.

Premise two: Linear time does not exist as perceived by the incarnated human mind.

Premise three: Causality is not the simplistic model of physics, which is the only model accepted by mainstream materialistic science.

Conclusion: Attempts to "balance" karma are futile in planes of duality. Therefore karma doesn't matter.

Thoughts?
Interesting. Nimrod de Rosario has some very dense passages in "Elements of Hyperborean Wisdom" along the same lines. And just lately I know a (very amateur) seer who says he heard in a trance, "Who refuses trauma, reaps no karma."

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards

Thoughts?

Like it or not, we are caught in linear time - we can go back in time to the past (in the form of memories, for example) or forwards to the future (plans, hopes, etc.) but only in our head. Cause & effect rule supreme in the ordinary course of things. Sure, we can concoct all manners of exotic spatial-temporal models featuring cyclic time or some double-helix corkscrew inter-dimensional universe but when all is said and done, we have to live in the ordinary world as we perceive it in our day-to-day life. Magic (we hope) is capable of altering this mundane life, of reversing time and the cause & effect chain but not in every instance and not very reliably. It's always thrilling to think outside the spiritual box and to escape the prison of earthly existence in our minds, but that's all just speculation and of no practical use, at least that's what I think.

But I agree, the idea of attempting to balance the karmic budget by accumulating merit (hindu/buddhist model) or by atonement (abrahamic religions) is ludicrous - a crime you commit stays committed, even if you 'pay your debt to society' for it by going to prison, a lie stays told even if you say five Hail Marys after Confession, etc. And just because you may be able to assuage your own bad conscience by doing penance doesn't make things right again.

When you cross the bardo after death and then reincarnate in a specific realm corresponding to your karma in the buddhist paradigm, however, karma DOES matter. So say you've mostly behaved like an asshole in your previous life but felt sorry sometimes for it, you might get reborn in a world where people are assholes most of the time because you subconsciously carry over some natural affinity for such people - in fact, all we might be living in such a world right now! This means you don't get unequivocally rewarded or punished, you just live yet another existence in which people shun you or even retaliate when you are spectacularly behaving out of line.

Whenever I read something about the alleged "Law of Karma", I just shake my head. What goes around does not always come around. Sociopaths prosper while good guys finish last. Criminals do not always get caught or are punished commensurately. Unexplicable twists of fate occur all the time. We all live in a small self-created pocket of order within a vast chaotic multiverse, or at least that's my own worldview. We try to navigate our lives according to the rules of this ordered pocket but now and then, the surrounding chaos intrudes and the whole karma business becomes a farce.

To sum up: There is no escaping linear time and causality in this life, whatever otherworldly dimensions may exist. Karma matters only within certain religious paradigms and is not universal outside them. Whenever people think they see the karma police in action, it's mostly just society (or sometimes inexplicabe synchonicities) pushing back. And I agree, balancing karma is futile because 'bad' deeds stay happened whatever merit you acquire or however you try to placate the furies.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
i think karma does not really matter, but when we talk humans and wizardry the intent is to create a change. why else would we use wizardry? so for me its a label of visuals that are open to change. ill give 1 example, cause OP is asking:

here on wf a group of people set their intent for the greater good. some left some stayed, but well if you set that up with me you gonna be part of something i call greater good, which comes from my own inner being. so for me wf is becoming the center of this new greater good. the people on it that somehow give me feelings are the ones im noticing. and then memes pop up or syncs in life. i respect OP, so i dont wanna hurt or make OP leave wf or stop typing. so now what? well as i wrote i know some mk ultra and i dont have the intent to abuse it, but i saw kanye in a meme asking if he could be part of the roblox and OP's avatar meme is always kanye in my head. the schyzo who carried jesus. he went to rome this summer to get an upgrade in an other meme. together with his new chick. so i smile and know OP is cool and safe.

if OP and i hadnt met on wf i would prob have stayed sad and life would have gone different. 2 occult inclined humans interconnecting is better by memes and dubris. so our souls stay free to create new karma for others. its how it works the labels are stupid, but being in ones center while creating a bigger center, makes it so that everything between our level of expertise and the ground gets hit by our goodness, which is for us, the rest is allowed to call that karma and blame themselves or god. but it wasnt us.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If the Earth Mother exists, do humans use her substance to form their temporary bodies?

Can a human act without impacting the Earth Mother physically, emotionally, mentally, .... ?

Such is the nature of karma.

Better perhaps to deny that planets and galaxies are intelligent entities - a simple position for the materialistic human.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
These are all great comments. I'm going to pick things apart in no particular order and see what spills out!

"Elements of Hyperborean Wisdom"
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Like it or not, we are caught in linear time - we can go back in time to the past (in the form of memories, for example) or forwards to the future (plans, hopes, etc.) but only in our head.
How would you explain the ability of some humans to have knowledge which defies the normal constraints of space and time? I was reminded of passages from the book,
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, by Colin Wilson (well known author of The Outsiders).

In 1964 an experimental psychologist named Lawrence LeShan became increasingly interested in the way the mind can influence the body and decided — with some misgivings — to study the evidence for extra-sensory perception. This was out of sheer conscientiousness, for his training as a scientist had convinced him that it could not exist. ‘I was fairly sure that I would wind up trying to figure out how it was that serious men like William James, Gardner Murphy, and half a dozen Nobel Prize winners had been deluded into believing such nonsense.’​
Careful study changed his mind ... (examples are cited) ...​
The comparison of many such ‘illuminations’ with the descriptions of ‘psychics’ like Eileen Garrett, Rosalind Heywood and Phoebe Payne finally convinced LeShan that both the ‘medium’ and the mystic experience the same abrupt shift of viewpoint so they find themselves looking into another world. It might be compared to a man sitting in a boat looking at the surface of the ocean, who suddenly plunges his head beneath the surface and sees an entirely new world down below. And for some odd reason beyond our understanding, this paranormal world below the ‘sea’ is timeless, so that events in the future or the past can be studied just as easily as the present. This is one of the most basic statements of all the mystics: that time is somehow an illusion. And this, LeShan thought, must be the ultimate solution — the only solution — to the mystery of precognition. Of course the statement that time is unreal strikes most of us as nonsense — the philosopher G. E. Moore thought he had disproved it by pulling out his watch — yet if there are really people who can foresee the future then our commonsense view of time as a one-way street must somehow be wrong.​

And that's just the first chapter, part of it at least. I'm not denying that most of us perceive linear time as an absolute. What I am suggesting is that we do not realize that our "present moment" experiences causality from what we would call "the future" in ways we cannot comprehend. That's all I got time for now. A good, clean argument is a meditative learning process!

As an aside, an "official review" of Beyond the Occult had this to say:

"Novelist and mystic Wilson is probably the wrong person to write nonfiction examinations of the occult. The part of the occult that purports to be scientific (e.g., parapsychology) requires the ability to think like a scientist and to evaluate evidence. Instead, Wilson gives many nice anecdotes, all of dubious value scientifically. These he "supports" by offering quotations from fringe scientific sources, never mentioning that most scientists don't accept them. Because there are many popular misinterpretations cited in the bibliography, Wilson's narrow speculations are ultimately built on sand. His work would have been less spectacular, but more deserving of attention, if he had based it more solidly on established facts. He writes well, and may hold the reader's interest, but what he says will do little toward unifying the occult as a serious scientific subject."​
- Gordon Stein, Univ. of Rhode Island​

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I see karma as nothing more than consequence. It is not always an equal and opposite reaction that balances the cosmic scales of right and wrong. In fact, more often it seems to perpetuate the "good" or "bad" nature of the deed. Concepts can gain momentum much like matter, and every action has a consequence. Like Lou says, this is nobody's fault. It just happens, and it is nothing to fear or strive for.

As far as time is concerned, I am more inclined to take the same position as @HoldAll. We might as well treat time as linear, because that is how it appears to function in consensus reality. I agree with @KjEno186 that this is not the truth, but for day-to-day functionality within society it is necessary to default to this understanding. We seem to be able to examine only a single point within time at once. Stringing these points together in an order allows us to function and communicate and generally make sense of what would otherwise be an absolute soup of events and people and places. And yes, some of us have trained the ability to look at points further ahead or behind of the current moment, but I suspect this is simply a technique of bypassing the psychic censor in a very specific way.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
How would you explain the ability of some humans to have knowledge which defies the normal constraints of space and time? I was reminded of passages from the book,

Clairvoyance seems like cheating to me, much as we try to cheat the universe by means of magic; it's taking a forbidden peek behind the veil of consensus reality. How that's even possible I don't know. What's a bit problematic for me is the deterministic aspect of it - the precise foreknowledge of a definite (not just a probabilistic) outcome of given chains of events, developments, actions etc., presupposes that the future is fixed (and can thus be known by gifted people) and that the classic laws of linear time and causality apply after all. Inescapable destiny, ugh. Pretty vexing for me and my beloved life-is-chaos theory.

Long ago I was accosted by a young Romany girl in the street who at once started to cold-read me and tell me my fortunes of the cuff, no doubt as a prelude to convincing me to read my palm for a fee. I just cut her off and said, "Stop right there! Fortune-telling feels like cursing to me, you're trying to determine my future and I like my freedom of choice, thank you very much!" Today, I take a more enlightend view when it comes to divination, more along the lines of "The stars incline us, they do not bind us." (only that I use the I-Ging instead of astrology). Colin Wilson's "The Occult" was an eye opener for me, but all these clairvoyance stories he heaped upon his readers suggest that the stars do bind us after all, so to speak.

I can't explain these phenomena. I like that timeless sea (is that where the spirits live, I wonder?) model but at the end of the day, we just don't know, and any theories we cherish may very well be baseless conjecture anyway. We are damned to swim in this linear-time stream, and now and again and against all probability, a psychic climbs out of that stream and comes back with some astonishingly accurate information about the future but it's a rare and very extraordinary event.

Many occult authors seem to long for a future when science will finally explain it all, ESP, angels, demons, the lot; after all, chemistry also evolved out of such apparent nonsense as alchemy, etc. but I really couldn't care less. Magicians routinely mess with things they don't understand. Some weeks ago, I posted a book by Joshua Wetzel called "The Paradigmal Pirate" here, and that title sums up my anarchist spiritual attitude pretty well. From a chaos magic perspective, we are trying to exploit the chinks in the armour of an uncaring universe, gaming the system and trying to boldly circumvent such things as straight causality and linear time.

Still, it would be nice to know next week's lottery numbers even if that means I have to accept that ugly determinist worldview.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Clairvoyance seems like cheating to me, much as we try to cheat the universe by means of magic; it's taking a forbidden peek behind the veil of consensus reality. How that's even possible I don't know. What's a bit problematic for me is the deterministic aspect of it - the precise foreknowledge of a definite (not just a probabilistic) outcome of given chains of events, developments, actions etc., presupposes that the future is fixed (and can thus be known by gifted people) and that the classic laws of linear time and causality apply after all. Inescapable destiny, ugh. Pretty vexing for me and my beloved life-is-chaos theory.

Long ago I was accosted by a young Romany girl in the street who at once started to cold-read me and tell me my fortunes of the cuff, no doubt as a prelude to convincing me to read my palm for a fee. I just cut her off and said, "Stop right there! Fortune-telling feels like cursing to me, you're trying to determine my future and I like my freedom of choice, thank you very much!" Today, I take a more enlightend view when it comes to divination, more along the lines of "The stars incline us, they do not bind us." (only that I use the I-Ging instead of astrology). Colin Wilson's "The Occult" was an eye opener for me, but all these clairvoyance stories he heaped upon his readers suggest that the stars do bind us after all, so to speak.

I can't explain these phenomena. I like that timeless sea (is that where the spirits live, I wonder?) model but at the end of the day, we just don't know, and any theories we cherish may very well be baseless conjecture anyway. We are damned to swim in this linear-time stream, and now and again and against all probability, a psychic climbs out of that stream and comes back with some astonishingly accurate information about the future but it's a rare and very extraordinary event.

Many occult authors seem to long for a future when science will finally explain it all, ESP, angels, demons, the lot; after all, chemistry also evolved out of such apparent nonsense as alchemy, etc. but I really couldn't care less. Magicians routinely mess with things they don't understand. Some weeks ago, I posted a book by Joshua Wetzel called "The Paradigmal Pirate" here, and that title sums up my anarchist spiritual attitude pretty well. From a chaos magic perspective, we are trying to exploit the chinks in the armour of an uncaring universe, gaming the system and trying to boldly circumvent such things as straight causality and linear time.

Still, it would be nice to know next week's lottery numbers even if that means I have to accept that ugly determinist worldview.

This is why we enchant long, and divine short. Have you come across Peter J. Carroll's theory of three-dimensional time? It helps me make working sense of things like divination. Let's take your lottery as an example. Trying to divine for the exact numbers pulled would be an absolute nightmare, as there are an unbelievable amount of factors that influence the outcome. The closer you get to the moment of draw the fewer variables exist, but unless you're pulling a one or two digit number the possibility of accuracy is miniscule. To divine whether or not a lottery draw would occur, however, is more manageable. If you're at all familiar with chaos mathematics I suspect you'll understand what I'm getting at.

To say a psychic foretold the future accurately simply means that events played out in one of the paths necessary to get to that point. It was always a possibility, never determined. Until that moment in time has occurred in consensus reality, the outcome cannot be completely verified.

With that said, there are some events that span more than a single point in those three dimensions of time. We can consider this more effectively in two dimensions, however, so let's examine it this way. Imagine a small pond, with the surface of the water representing time. You, in the moment of now, attempt to divine two things: whether a war will occur in five years to the day, and what a particular friend will eat for their evening meal in five years to the day. Examining the pond, you move to your right, along the line that represents that point 5 years from now. The moment that determines your friend's meal is a tiny, tiny point. The influencing factors don't stretch back very far to the left. Think of the ripples an insect might make by landing gently on the water; this represents the area of influence that point in time has. In other words, you're attempting to pinpoint a space in this pond only a few centimeters in diameter. If you were only a couple days out instead of five years, you might be within that influence, and thereby able to divine the moment accurately. The war however, is more like a large stone being dropped in the water. The ripples will arc far out, allowing you a much greater chance of being correct. Does this make sense? It would be easier to describe in person with a pen and paper between us...

This notion of non-linear time really messes with my understanding of karma, though. It gets tough to wrap the head around consequences occurring before an event.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards

Thoughts?
I’ve always seen karma as a high score in the video game of life, but if it’s just a video game, why grind so hard for it? Why not keep in mind that it’s just a video game and focus on more important goals?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This is why we enchant long, and divine short. Have you come across Peter J. Carroll's theory of three-dimensional time?

To say a psychic foretold the future accurately simply means that events played out in one of the paths necessary to get to that point. It was always a possibility, never determined. Until that moment in time has occurred in consensus reality, the outcome cannot be completely verified.
I am just about able to wrap my head around his concept of retroactive enchantment but his Specularium website and his time theories are too difficult for me to grasp, honestly. Schrödinger's cat alone gives me headaches, not to speak of quantum physics as a whole.

That's what I meant with the story about the wannabe fortune teller - any accurate prediction would make the probability wave function collapse through the observer effect (or something), paring down multiple possible outcomes to a single pre-determined = predicted one. Hence the very act of someone predicting my future would set my life on a definite course and rob me of my freedom of choice - ok, that may be just superstition on my part, I can always shrug of the prediction as crap or act intentionally in a way that precludes the predicted future. Still, I would probably worry all the time, unconsciously waiting for things to happen just as predicted, and that's a bad enough interference coming from a stranger.

In NewAge jargon, i.e. outside religious doctrines, karma is just a simple-minded narrative where everybody gets their just deserts, just like in Hollywood movies. It's unadulterated fairy-tale wishful thinking.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Let's take your lottery as an example.
Let me throw another bone into the mix. A divination can also at times be interpreted as a "request" into the transpersonal. For the sake of argument, let's assume someone makes regular votive offerings and prayers to a spirit (angel, lwa, saint, deity, whatever), asks for and is given the winning lottery number or horse race bet. By the spirit model, one could imagine that the outcome wasn't necessarily fixed. However, the spirit could weigh the probabilities and steer the process to the desired outcome. Giving the supplicant the numbers then looks like fortune telling. As mentioned in another thread on servitors, this is an act of "melding the astral." Words are a poor substitute for reality.

Therefore, I can understand @HoldAll refusing a fortune offer as if that could limit limit possible outcomes. Who would limit them? His own deep mind? Spirits? Going back to Beyond the Occult, Wilson says that the "right brain" is highly suggestible. Being given a negative fortune can become its own self fulfilling prophesy, a form of divination magic as it were.

We haven't even gotten to Dethlefsen's
yet...
Post automatically merged:

If the Earth Mother exists, do humans use her substance to form their temporary bodies?
When I read that, I remembered this tarot card...
a13.jpg

Even the Queens and Kings of mankind cannot avoid leaving their bodies with Mother Earth.
This card is also associated with Saturn.

'Beyond all doubt it is a sort of allegorical representation of Father Chronos, Time, who, while creating, consumes his own children, and was very often pictured as a warning of death or a remembrance of mortality. But on the other hand Time marks the beginning, and birth is not less under his government than death. The ancient edition of this card shows the figure harvesting heads and limbs of human bodies upon a field. This may be an expression of an old superstition, which said that those limbs with which man sinned would grow out of his grave. Probably a distorted teaching of the Law of Karma or cosmic reaction, which is also ruled by Saturn, at least in the execution. And in this function he is the old God of Israel, whose law was "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth."' - from

Last edited:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Exactly, "divination magic", that was the expression I was looking for! I was instinctively thinking she was trying to hex me, that's why I reacted so harshly. As far as the future is concerned, I just don't wanna know. I like divination systems though that offer an astute assessment of the present situation and how it will likely develop from here. But I can really do without pronouncements like "You are going to have a car accident next Thursday."

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
That's what I meant with the story about the wannabe fortune teller - any accurate prediction would make the probability wave function collapse through the observer effect (or something), paring down multiple possible outcomes to a single pre-determined = predicted one.

I'm not so sure it would, as the actual event itself wouldn't be observed; the corporeal body is not present in that space and time. Maybe it's kinda like if I was watching you on a television screen - I can wave as hard as I want but you won't see me doing it. Do probability wave functions have a sort of awareness? Maybe they need to be cognizant of an observer? This is a whole different can of worms...

For the sake of argument, let's assume someone makes regular votive offerings and prayers to a spirit (angel, lwa, saint, deity, whatever), asks for and is given the winning lottery number or horse race bet.

It's the "given the winning..." that I have an issue with here. I think the outcome is too random, too much chaos involved, for even a spirit to be able to divine the result. Or influence the result to such an immaculate degree, for that matter. I see what you're getting at in theory, though.

Exactly, "divination magic", that was the expression I was looking for! I was instinctively thinking she was trying to hex me, that's why I reacted so harshly. As far as the future is concerned, I just don't wanna know. I like divination systems though that offer an astute assessment of the present situation and how it will likely develop from here. But I can really do without pronouncements like "You are going to have a car accident next Thursday."

This is why wording questions carefully can be helpful when divining. Josephine McCarthy has a lot to say on this topic. Questions like "What would it look like if...?" are most useful when choosing a course of action. For this reason I put divination and fortune telling in different categories. While they are essentially the same, the goals and methods are far apart. One looks at a sea of possibilities, the other examines the threads of the Weavers.

We haven't even gotten to Dethlefsen's
yet...

What's this now? I'm not familiar with it in the slightest.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I don’t think Karma matters in the singular experience everyone is currently having.

What I mean is the Thief isn’t going to steal something and then instantly be punished by Karma.

Nor is someone going to do a good deed and instantly be rewarded.

I don’t even think cumulative good or bad deeds get dealt with in the current experience.

I do however believe that that accumulated Karma good and/or bad plays a factor in shaping your rebirth during reincarnation.

I can’t really prove it but that’s my strong intuition about it.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I don’t even think cumulative good or bad deeds get dealt with in the current experience.

A decade ago, a bit north of me on a divided multi-lane highway, with a wide grass strip between the directions, there was a head-on accident.

In early evening a car crossed over the grass into the on-coming traffic and hit a pickup head-on.

Both drivers were killed. They were father and son

Just bad luck I suppose.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
These are all great comments. I'm going to pick things apart in no particular order and see what spills out!

Thanks. I'll check it out.

In 1964 an experimental psychologist named Lawrence LeShan became increasingly interested in the way the mind can influence the body and decided — with some misgivings — to study the evidence for extra-sensory perception. This was out of sheer conscientiousness, for his training as a scientist had convinced him that it could not exist. ‘I was fairly sure that I would wind up trying to figure out how it was that serious men like William James, Gardner Murphy, and half a dozen Nobel Prize winners had been deluded into believing such nonsense.’​
Careful study changed his mind ... (examples are cited) ...​
The comparison of many such ‘illuminations’ with the descriptions of ‘psychics’ like Eileen Garrett, Rosalind Heywood and Phoebe Payne finally convinced LeShan that both the ‘medium’ and the mystic experience the same abrupt shift of viewpoint so they find themselves looking into another world. It might be compared to a man sitting in a boat looking at the surface of the ocean, who suddenly plunges his head beneath the surface and sees an entirely new world down below. And for some odd reason beyond our understanding, this paranormal world below the ‘sea’ is timeless, so that events in the future or the past can be studied just as easily as the present. This is one of the most basic statements of all the mystics: that time is somehow an illusion. And this, LeShan thought, must be the ultimate solution — the only solution — to the mystery of precognition. Of course the statement that time is unreal strikes most of us as nonsense — the philosopher G. E. Moore thought he had disproved it by pulling out his watch — yet if there are really people who can foresee the future then our commonsense view of time as a one-way street must somehow be wrong.​

And that's just the first chapter, part of it at least. I'm not denying that most of us perceive linear time as an absolute. What I am suggesting is that we do not realize that our "present moment" experiences causality from what we would call "the future" in ways we cannot comprehend. That's all I got time for now. A good, clean argument is a meditative learning process!

As an aside, an "official review" of Beyond the Occult had this to say:

"Novelist and mystic Wilson is probably the wrong person to write nonfiction examinations of the occult. The part of the occult that purports to be scientific (e.g., parapsychology) requires the ability to think like a scientist and to evaluate evidence. Instead, Wilson gives many nice anecdotes, all of dubious value scientifically. These he "supports" by offering quotations from fringe scientific sources, never mentioning that most scientists don't accept them. Because there are many popular misinterpretations cited in the bibliography, Wilson's narrow speculations are ultimately built on sand. His work would have been less spectacular, but more deserving of attention, if he had based it more solidly on established facts. He writes well, and may hold the reader's interest, but what he says will do little toward unifying the occult as a serious scientific subject."​
- Gordon Stein, Univ. of Rhode Island​
That's probably a good summation of Wilson. As a nonfiction writer, his conceptual edifices totter. As a fiction writer, I feel mildly cheated by his books---I have to keep skirting the tangled thickets of his libido in order to keep the plot in sight.
Post automatically merged:

A decade ago, a bit north of me on a divided multi-lane highway, with a wide grass strip between the directions, there was a head-on accident.

In early evening a car crossed over the grass into the on-coming traffic and hit a pickup head-on.

Just bad luck I suppose.
I knew a cop once, a detective. He liked to say he didn't believe in coincidences. But he'd always add, "And I have to swallow a few on every case." Underground writer Martin Tyrsegg suggested, "There is less drama in the universe than is dreamt of in your writing workshop."

Last edited:

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I met Colin Wilson many years ago when he visited the community in which I lived. As I recall I had lunch with him. He seemed ok but not very experiential compared with community members.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
"Experiential"? You mean he did not speak from first-hand experience about karma and related themes? That's one drawback to being a writer: one can fall into the trap of writing about life rather than living it. One thinks of Vonnegut's Roland Weary or Colonel "Wild Bob" writing/retelling their war in their head even as it unfolds around their half-absent selves.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards

Just bad luck I suppose.

Well I mean, I don't know?

Could it have been Karma related?

Sure

But there are also people who are dang near saints their whole life and still have the worst things happen to them constantly while there are other people who are just awful their whole lives and don't ever face consequences for it.

So that's why I doubt cumulative Karma.

Though it's just my opinion.