• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Who is your favourite music artists and why?

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Red hot chilli peppers for the trippy lyrics.
Iron maiden for fantasy lyrics that helped me write a book and find Dr dee.
Post automatically merged:

One of my favs from back in the day! I miss Tupac, he had balls. He gained a higher level of awareness and made some mistakes. I would have liked to have known him. If only he listened to his intuition. I have a bit of Tupac in me!
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
This beat goes so hard. For me this is the best 2pac album. Whole record goes in!

@Diluculo_DelFuego good to see more iron maiden fans! Powerslave and number are Grand albums for sure! Sun and Steel and invaders probably my fave tracks from each album. But "The Alchemist" with lyrics about Demons and Edward Kelly will always be my favourite!

Last edited:

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've been enjoying weird stuff that I can slip into playlists - like the works Xmas carol playlist - to see how long it takes for someone to notice:

And from the Pagan camp playlist:

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I don't have favorite musicians, I have favorite songs, but there are some people that I tend to listen more songs of:

NXZero

Pitty

Poets of the Fall

Paramore

U2

Since I can only post two pieces of media I decided to put of the two I'm sure most here don't know of.

Reaction score
Awards
Always has been and always will be Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden. On the brighter side of life, Billy Squier and Journey.

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Any Steely Dan/Donald Fagen fans? Another band I've collected the discography for :p

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
About 80% of my listening is classical and I include film scores in that which I listen to quite a lot. I like music with a strong emotional impulse, especially when it's wistful and finds the hinterland between beauty and melancholy. Favourites are Vivaldi, Debussy (all the French Impressionists actually), Wagner, Ralph Vaughan Williams and Thomas Newman.

The other 20% is quite diverse but with the same emotional orientation as my classical tastes. Kate Bush, Enya, The Doors, Enigma, Karl Jenkins, Birdy, Mike Oldfield, Rome, Lana Del Rey, David Bowie are all played quite a bit. Although it was before my time, I do like a lot of Anglo-American 80s pop music too, probably because it tends to centre emotion rather sensation (sensation has been the impulse behind most pop music in the millennium). I think the pop song as art form reached its apotheosis in the 80s. Tears for Fears, The Smiths, Madonna, Springsteen, Echo and the Bunnymen, Pet Shop Boys, George Michael, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, rarely get skipped on my Spotify. I'm also generally happy to listen to folk and traditional music from across Europe and the Middle East.

Despite its supposed Left Hand Path associations, I generally dislike most (but not all) forms of post-Zeppelin metal and I cannot stand rap.

Peter2

Neophyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Warned: Off-topic
I collected several terabytes of music - mainly classical.

Recently however I have found that most performances are depressing. Unless the performers are at least happy, if not joyful, I just delete the recordings.

I am putting off applying that principle to my analogue collection

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I'm usually a bit reticent to name the music I like because no-one has usually ever heard of it :D

One of my favourite artists, The Jazz Butcher, died a year or so ago, so his last album was posthumous. I still haven't listened to it, as I am saving it.

Robyn Hitchcock is still alive and touring, and also comes to my town from time to time so I don't have to go to London to see him :)

Tom Waits is threatening to release a new album, so there's that.

Gerry Rafferty drank himself to death a while back, but left behind a load of excellent records.

Sparks are also still making records and touring. They appear to be functionally immortal.

As to why? Well, I guess they are all a bit strange in different ways :)

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I'm usually a bit reticent to name the music I like because no-one has usually ever heard of it :D

One of my favourite artists, The Jazz Butcher, died a year or so ago, so his last album was posthumous. I still haven't listened to it, as I am saving it.

Robyn Hitchcock is still alive and touring, and also comes to my town from time to time so I don't have to go to London to see him :)

Tom Waits is threatening to release a new album, so there's that.

Gerry Rafferty drank himself to death a while back, but left behind a load of excellent records.

Sparks are also still making records and touring. They appear to be functionally immortal.

As to why? Well, I guess they are all a bit strange in different ways :)
See, you gave me something to google. Musically I've been bored of late. Strange strikes me as good right now. The best thing I've run across lately is "Agios O Shugara" (sic---nom. masc. sg. with vocative fem. sg.) Eerie, haunting, but not danceable.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
See, you gave me something to google. Musically I've been bored of late. Strange strikes me as good right now. The best thing I've run across lately is "Agios O Shugara" (sic---nom. masc. sg. with vocative fem. sg.) Eerie, haunting, but not danceable.
There's a band called Epica. I characterise them as 'what Carmina Burana did next' :)

And I left off one guy from my list - Peter Blegvad. The album to listen to is probably 'King Strut and Other Stories' although 'The Naked Shakespeare' has more occult themes weaved into it.