• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] WW III? What are the major factors behind a World War (from the USA perspective)? From a non USA perspective?

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
Currently we have our borders and bordering states at the southern border swamped with migrants. With no voucher that they would be "safe" citizens.
Israel and Hamas at War.
Russia and Ukraine at War.
A scramble for resources.
Threats of nuclear arms.
We can no longer fund a war.
People here are prepping and ready to bugout or hide in their bunkers.

Whats the rest of the world like from outside this perspective?

What constructs a World War exactly?

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
humans are addicted depressed and physically destroyed along with then being prone to stealing the, wasting the, being in illusion to divine life

Nonvegan/nonahimsa actions of mind and body create war. Pain is anti universe

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
But if world war 3 happens then it could lead us back to the stone age which means trading and bartering will replace money.
Assuming there is anything left to barter with, or indeed, anyone left to barter.

If there is and there is, mankind will probably reinvent money pretty sharpish. It's a way of getting around not having the things that the other guy wants to barter for.

Reaction score
Awards
Oh yes, the digital age. Cashless society, AI, drones, surveillance equipment. National Security or Terminator anyone?

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
What constructs a World War exactly?
History is the teacher. According to my own military education, there are generally three types, or levels, or military conflict, graded by intensity. However, it should be noted that within these scales are gradations.

1. Low Intensity Conflict - this type covers things like insurgencies, terrorism and guerilla campaigns that usually are not violent enough or frequent enough to threaten the overall political fabric, but could, over time, sap the resources of a nation and move to the next level. Often, they can be the result of or cause of societal fragmentation which sets the stage for increasing instability if not properly managed or defeated by the ruling powers of the state or region in which they are underway. Sometimes LIC's can multiply into the regional theater and threaten political, financial and social stability across a broad spectrum and bait greater national entities into getting involved. Negotiations and deals are made and broken on a nauseating basis, but these wars generally run in the background. These LIC's were common during the Cold War era and actually served as a sort of chess board for the Great Powers who wished to avoid larger conflicts or direct confrontation.
The danger of these is that if there are enough of them, LICs could set the stage for the next two types of conflict.

2. Mid Intensity Conflict - could class as a major war in relation to the former, but is generally contained within a region between two antagonists. Outside powers may be involved indirectly, and smaller LICs may stem from this type of conflict. They can also rank with sudden flash punitive campaigns of relatively short duration due to the types of forces employed - meaning major weapons systems or orders of battle like aircraft carriers or land armies spread over broad fronts. Still, major powers can get bogged down, and get stuck in attritional fights. Such types of warfare can also draw great powers of into broader more dangerous direct confrontation with each other, but often they will try to avoid the risk of going to the next level and contain the conflict, as in the former case.

3. High Intensity Conflict - Mid can turn to high, as in a coalition campaign, but this may not necessarily peak into a global conflict. The highest intensity, barring thermonuclear war, is called "Total War", where the entire resources of a nation are put into play to defeat their enemies. These types of wars may begin with maneuvers meant to crush the enemy swiftly, but they often tend towards attrition, where entire nations can be devastated and their resources sapped, their lands occupied and divided among the victors.

So, to answer "what constructs a world war", you have to consider the dynamics of complex alliances, old grudges and standoff that manifest in the first two levels of conflicts that finally boil over into a general conflagration. Studying what led up to the two World Wars is easy, but the precursors reveal much.

Since the introduction of nuclear weapons in 1945 and their mass proliferation by the so-called "superpowers" and some lesser powers, the chances of the supreme peak (that is, a potential extinction event as opposed to just a Total War) conflict has generally been deterred. The basic reason for this is "Mutually Assured Destruction", which implies that if A attacks B in a first strike, B's retaliatory strike will be launched immediately after it detects A's launch, and both sides will be ruined within hours. Any counterstrikes afterward will only add to "overkill" - there are no winners, only a dreary mass of burned and blind survivors with no effective government to speak of as they dwindle into extinction. This is what we fear.

I hope that clarifies at least that part of the OP. To put this in the context of current events is not easy. I would say we are in the buildup towards a potential global conflict that would probably find us fighting in planetary orbit, or even on the Moon, plus using militarized AI, robotics (drones), energy weapons and other innovations. And I say this because it would fit the pattern of technological evolution set by prior wars. But, as we see, the "old bloody infantry" in the attrition fight still plays a critical role. That our current convulsions would result in nuclear war, even a limited exchange, is possible, as some have come to openly question whether or not such a fight could not be won. But miscalculations in warfare, as in politics, are inevitable. It doesn't mean that nuclear weapons would be used. In WW1, poison gas came to be used extensively with no decisive outcome, but it was hardly used in WW2, except against civilians.

One other note - because of the complex web of a shrinking world, it is entirely possible that "World War 3" could be fought in a very limited but drawn out way. The apocalyptic association of Total Nuclear War might be avoided, barring a madman in power or some mistake (as almost happened in 1983). Some authors I have read referred to the Cold War as this limited type of global conflict, using the Third World as a pun. But, basically, if you look to earlier times, like the 18th century, militaries might engage each other in duels and dances while governments still talked and even conducted trade. In this trend, there is just too much to lose, so the fight becomes almost ritualistic, though only future historians could make a broad assessment.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
My boy is 100% on a watchlist.

i enjoy the tactical advantages the USA has in terms of war in general or world wars as a whole.
it's a tough cookie to crack
secluded, very defendable, strong infrastructure chain, all the way down to the train tracks
there is no logical way to advance on the USA from the outside and that is without counting all the
military presence and bases they have outside.
even pearl harbor sort of backs that up, the jap's had to do ALL that in order to do that amount of dmg - unsustainable.

a world war against the usa would have to involve hybrid schemes,
first and most importantly cut their hands operating the outside -
no way anyone is getting in so the best bet is on implosion from within
in my humble opinion ofc

Reaction score
Awards
Yep. Tough cookies as Im a pacifist.
Im an American, love my country but hates what it does to the rest of the world ... as Im also first and foremost a Christian, believing in the views and words of Christ first and foremost.
Unfortunately, kindness from one is weakness to the others.
A double edged sword for sure.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
tough spot to be in for sure, coming from a "bully" state
but i don't have any emotional backing to the idea.

it's just a one in a kind situation, you would be hard pressed to find
a better defendable and actionable position than the USA it's a brain teaser
so when i say ww against the usa it's not like im on either side, just that
taking any actions at all is gonna require billion iq strategies

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
That is irrelevant.
as an enemy if i were to get in via Mexico which has no choice but to rely on USA
they would snuff us out immediatly.
if we went from Canada which is a USA friendly they would snuff us out before we even
know where we are.
yes i can smuggle folk in but that is so far from any usefulness.
Coming in from the sea? pfft.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
But if world war 3 happens then it could lead us back to the stone age which means trading and bartering will replace money.
If we could avoid the nuclear fallout problem, a return to the Stone Age would arguably be healthy indeed. (Yeah, I know. That's a mighty big "if.")
Post automatically merged:

That is irrelevant.
as an enemy if i were to get in via Mexico which has no choice but to rely on USA
they would snuff us out immediatly.
if we went from Canada which is a USA friendly they would snuff us out before we even
know where we are.
yes i can smuggle folk in but that is so far from any usefulness.
Coming in from the sea? pfft.
The point of smuggling bipeds in is population replacement. The party who caters to the "refugee" invaders will have an erosion-proof voting base, the better to transition to a one-party regime. This is already well underway, and the enemy is the U.S.'s own globalist-leadership. Too late to wake up and smell any coffee laddie. Go back to your war-gaming wet dreams.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
my bad i assumed the w in WW was for war

i dunno, what you're saying sounds pretty much like what has been going around for about a decade now.
but what do i know i stick to war gaming dreams, this...
this is all you.

Reaction score
Awards
If we could stick to the topic.
This is not about gaming.
This is not about border immigration issues.
It's about what builds up factors of a world war as opposed to a run of the mill war.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
A major terrorist incident in the States could very well be a large factor in touching off such a war. Remember how capriciously the net was cast after 9-11. If you want to talk factors, you can't very well go excluding factors like you just did.